To That One Guest - II

TTOG: "30% off" sticker on the books has small writing that also says "off cover price."
Most of our books are 30% less than the publisher's retail price. You did get 30% off.
No, I'm not price adjusting it.
You have a nice day now.
That's like clearance. At least 3 times a week I get the question "The 30% off on the sign, that's 30% off the clearance price, right?" even though the sign says 30% off the original price.

"anymore" as if they ever did lol
And that's what I don't get. Retail work is very, very new in my life so all the things retail workers know to look for are lessons learned in the last couple years. Yet back in my youth when I was a 19 year old trying to feed and clothe the family on the cheap I knew to carefully read sales signs and shelf labels so there was no sticker shock. I also was book smart but had very little common sense and still managed it. If a pregnant 19 year old who is still trying to learn how to be an adult in the first place and 3000 miles from the older adults that would normally teach this stuff could manage to read store signs carefully, then anyone can.

This is proven on a daily basis. Three times so far this week, and it is only Tuesday, I have had guests come in for their online orders. Each time less than 30 minutes had passed since they placed their orders. One order was less than 15 minutes before they showed up.

That's just the epitome of our entitled guests. They believe that Target has employees just waiting around and at the ready so that when they decide they want to buy something that it will be ready for them in minutes. No thought given to the fact that it takes time to pull and package their order, or...OMG, that there are orders ahead of theirs. Ugh.

I feel like younger millennial guests don’t pull this shit as often as the baby boomers.

Millennial: “Is this 30% off?”
Me: “No, sorry, the sticker is the price”
Millennial: “Oh ok, I’ll just put it back then” or “Oh ok, I’ll still buy it”

Baby Boomer: “THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 30% OFF”
Me: “I’m sorry, the price on the sticker is the clearance price”
Baby Boomer: “WHERES YOUR MANAGER IT SAID 30% OFF ON THE SIGN ILL SHOW YOU RIGHT NOW”

That's just the epitome of our entitled guests. They believe that Target has employees just waiting around and at the ready so that when they decide they want to buy something that it will be ready for them in minutes. No thought given to the fact that it takes time to pull and package their order, or...OMG, that there are orders ahead of theirs. Ugh.
Snowflake thinks her order is supposed to miraculously go to the top of the list. Difficult when everyone ordering is a snowflake.😂😂😂

TTOG: "I'll be with you in a moment" means "stay in line until I get this stupid label on this item, Susan". I'm the only one at the Service Desk right now. This literally only takes me 20 seconds if I'm left alone. Don't walk up to my register.

So I'm gonna move from this register to the one at the other end, just so you have to walk lol.
I move to the other registry in electronics when people are impatient and walk up to the one I’m closest to.

TTOG: "30% off" sticker on the books has small writing that also says "off cover price."
Most of our books are 30% less than the publisher's retail price. You did get 30% off.
No, I'm not price adjusting it.
You have a nice day now.
Our cashiers adjust it all the time with no question.

Then your cashiers failed basic math and have no business being behind a cash register. 30% off the already discounted price makes it roughly 50% off, and anyone working with money should realize that 30% off original price means 30% not 50%.

They either don't want to use their addition and subtraction skills or they think they should just make up prices. To lower it without question when there's no mistaken signage or other extenuating circumstances is basically stealing from the employer. By that logic, cashiers should adjust all prices down on every item just to make the guests happy. If cashiers can make up their own prices willy nilly then what point is there to have an actual price tag?

The point is there's no need to adjust.
The 30% off stickered books are already priced at (manufacturer's price) minus 30%. No need to add an additional 30% as @Tessa120 says, thus resulting in almost 50% off.
I get "making it right" and all, but that's just... wrong lol.

I move to the other registry in electronics when people are impatient and walk up to the one I’m closest to.
YES!!! Same at GS. We have 5 so I'll move to the furthest and go, "sorry, that one is acting up right now."
And if a guest is taking too long to leave my register when I have a line at GS, I move to another one and just leave them there to finish alphabetizing their receipts and placing their coins in denominational order or whatever is taking Susan 14,000 hours to put stuff away.

"Next guest!"

Then your cashiers failed basic math and have no business being behind a cash register. 30% off the already discounted price makes it roughly 50% off, and anyone working with money should realize that 30% off original price means 30% not 50%.

They either don't want to use their addition and subtraction skills or they think they should just make up prices. To lower it without question when there's no mistaken signage or other extenuating circumstances is basically stealing from the employer. By that logic, cashiers should adjust all prices down on every item just to make the guests happy. If cashiers can make up their own prices willy nilly then what point is there to have an actual price tag?
I agree. I’m in charge of entertainment or was, and I’d yell at the front end for adjusting book prices all the time when I saw them pop up in the price audit.

I feel like younger millennial guests don’t pull this shit as often as the baby boomers.

Baby Boomer: “WHERES YOUR MANAGER IT SAID 30% OFF ON THE SIGN ILL SHOW YOU RIGHT NOW”
oh 100%. I can count on one hand the times someone under 30 was rude. Age 40-60 are def the worst.

Retweet.

Many a time I've seen our STL getting bitched out by Boomers after the electronics TM told them our store doesn't do ConfusedBoomer Cellular activations. They always think the TM can but just doesn't want to help them. STL explains that we don't have a Target Mobile anymore (it died, kind of like Reagan) and they complain that they don't want to make the drive to a different store. So you can take a twice annual vacation across the country in your Winnebago but you can't drive 15 minutes to the closest Target that has a Target Mobile? Okay Gary and/or Betty.

A millennial would just say "Oh okay."

Last edited:
I’ve had some really stupid people my age (late teen/early 20s) grab an item, wait in line at GS with it, place an order pickup while they’re in line, and then when I call them up they say “I just placed an order pickup and I have the item right here so I’ll just go.” That’s not how it fucking works sweetie 🤦🏻‍♀️ Why not just buy it normally if you need it right this second??? So I have to explain how it works and then walk them through cancelling their order and then ring them up normally through POS. Literally twice as fast for them to just grab it and go through self checkout.

I’ve had some really stupid people my age (late teen/early 20s) grab an item, wait in line at GS with it, place an order pickup while they’re in line, and then when I call them up they say “I just placed an order pickup and I have the item right here so I’ll just go.” That’s not how it fucking works sweetie 🤦🏻‍♀️ Why not just buy it normally if you need it right this second??? So I have to explain how it works and then walk them through cancelling their order and then ring them up normally through POS. Literally twice as fast for them to just grab it and go through self checkout.
I had this happen a couple of weeks ago and this was an older man. He went through the regular checkout lane with his item and the barcode on his phone. The cashier had no idea what was going on.

I wonder if they think they're using a Mobile Checkout option.

I think Mobile Checkout works for somewhere like Sam's Club and Costco where they have people at the door verifying item counts against receipts on every single person that walks out the door. I see too much potential for shrink anywhere else. Unless we want to start bag checking everyone as well.

Would we benefit from something like Walmart's former "Mobile Express Scan & Go" thing? Customers could pick up bags to bag stuff, and scan their items with a scanner or their mobile phone, then scan the barcode at the self-checkout, and pay the total in the POS.
Krogers here in the area also have something similar.

Walmart pulls plug on Mobile Express Scan & Go - https://www.supermarketnews.com/news/walmart-pulls-plug-mobile-express-scan-go

https://www.kroger.com/d/scan-bag-go

That would probably vary a lot between stores. A store that has a lot of younger/small-volume guests might get some use out of that. In my area spending resources to roll that out would likely be a big waste. Retailers who have tried to "speed up the checkout process by having people do it themselves," i.e. make it so the retailer needs to pay fewer cashiers, haven't had a lot of success with it. One grocery store nearby did a remodel last year and ripped out most of their self-checkouts because they were so infrequently used.

If it's something that people get paid to do, it's tough to get shoppers to willingly do it for themselves. They are there to shop, not to work. Companies should really know this from the transition from full-service gas stations to self-service. They had to give discounts on self-service to get people to use it.

At best, without SCO, stores *might* have payroll to staff one additional cashier. But that's less productivity and less transactions per hour overall because one SCO cashier is able to assist 4, 6, or 8 guests at once (depending on your store layout) while a traditional cashier can only assist one at a time. I don't think we're ever gonna see cashier-less stores see widespread adoption, especially at Target where basket size is very important. SCO is helpful for the guest who came in for just a couple of things, while a regular cashier is more helpful for the guest who stopped in home, grocery, softlines, etc and has a very large basket.

Back