To That One Guest - II

Best practice is: if the receipt is recently expired do it as a receipted return use daily override code. If it expired a while ago than deny it outright or process as you would any other no receipt return.

Best practice is: if the receipt is recently expired do it as a receipted return use daily override code. If it expired a while ago than deny it outright or process as you would any other no receipt return.
This is not best practice. Best practice is to scan the receipt. POS will decide. (Yes, sometimes POS allows a return a day or two past, not always).

This is not best practice. Best practice is to scan the receipt. POS will decide. (Yes, sometimes POS allows a return a day or two past, not always).
i literally just read it on workbench TODAY, it's best practice. It even says "this is an appropriate scenario in which to use the daily override code." lol

i literally just read it on workbench TODAY, it's best practice. It even says "this is an appropriate scenario in which to use the daily override code." lol
huh, that must have changed recently then as when I looked a few months ago it was what I posted. I've always let POS decide if it's a few days and denied if longer. technically we're supposed to "attempt every return" but if it's from 7 years ago I'm not wasting anyones time lol

So all my GSTLs reinforce the idea of making the guest happy in every way so one day recently a lady was trying to return a movie off her redcard and it wasn’t coming up and I asked when she bought it, turns out it was Black Friday. So I said unfortunately your “receipt” is expired which is why I can’t return using your card, however I can issue you a store credit with your ID. I processed the return and the guest was extremely happy and thankful and went on her way. My ETL GE was next to me and after the guest left she goes “so you knew her receipt was expired yet you let her return it anyway? Why is that?” And I said “well it’s not like I gave her her money back, she will use the merch card which will go right back into the store and she’ll probably end up buying more stuff as well. I try to do every return every possible way I can.” And she was like “in the future never let a guest return something if their receipt is expired. It’s against best practice and there’s no point of having a policy if you’re not going to follow it” like she was genuinely mad. On one hand yes I get it we have a policy but it was a completely sealed $15 movie not like an expensive electronic. I don’t think I’m in the wrong though. If you are unable to use a receipt to return, then you attempt a no receipt return, correct? You try everything and do whatever the computer allows you to do. I think issuing store credit for a product with an expired receipt is a pretty reasonable thing to do and something I would expect the majority of stores to do. What do you guys think?

So all my GSTLs reinforce the idea of making the guest happy in every way so one day recently a lady was trying to return a movie off her redcard and it wasn’t coming up and I asked when she bought it, turns out it was Black Friday. So I said unfortunately your “receipt” is expired which is why I can’t return using your card, however I can issue you a store credit with your ID. I processed the return and the guest was extremely happy and thankful and went on her way. My ETL GE was next to me and after the guest left she goes “so you knew her receipt was expired yet you let her return it anyway? Why is that?” And I said “well it’s not like I gave her her money back, she will use the merch card which will go right back into the store and she’ll probably end up buying more stuff as well. I try to do every return every possible way I can.” And she was like “in the future never let a guest return something if their receipt is expired. It’s against best practice and there’s no point of having a policy if you’re not going to follow it” like she was genuinely mad. On one hand yes I get it we have a policy but it was a completely sealed $15 movie not like an expensive electronic. I don’t think I’m in the wrong though. If you are unable to use a receipt to return, then you attempt a no receipt return, correct? You try everything and do whatever the computer allows you to do. I think issuing store credit for a product with an expired receipt is a pretty reasonable thing to do and something I would expect the majority of stores to do. What do you guys think?

your etl is wrong, the actual best practice in that specific scenario would be to offer a no receipt return

You did the right thing. Best practice is to attempt every return.

You did the right thing. Best practice is to attempt every return.
Thank you. I was like “you really want me to straight up say no to a guest even if they have options?” and she was just like “if you know it’s expired deny it.” I said “okay I didn’t know thanks for telling me” but I was really thinking “yeah right lmao”

Thank you. I was like “you really want me to straight up say no to a guest even if they have options?” and she was just like “if you know it’s expired deny it.” I said “okay I didn’t know thanks for telling me” but I was really thinking “yeah right lmao”
Yeah you were 100% right. Literally pull up the return policy the first line is we promise to attempt every return

I’m all for an ETL GE that’s actually willing to say no but that’s too far

All this policy would do is encourage guests with expired receipts to say they don’t have a receipt. It’s punishing guests who have their receipt.

TJustAboutEveryDamnGuestAtSCOToday: SLOW THE FUCK DOWN! Seriously. It's two days before Easter, the store was completely slammed and I was the only SCO cashier on that side of the store. If you try to just whip through things like The Flash, the register will freeze. I can fix it for you, but I also have 3 other fires to put out, you'll have to wait while I do my job and take care of those tasks.

However, becoming increasingly more insistent and angry won't help matters when I'm with other guests 🙄

ToThe1.5MillionKarensReturningEasterShitTheyDidn'tNeed: No, if you bought this stuff using a merchandise card and cash, you must take the merchandise card back first because it is first in the system before you can get the cash you payed. Screaming about how you paid cash (usually less than 5 dollars :rolleyes:) and want your amount back in cash does not change this.

Ttog-

" Hi I'm looking for soap?"

Hand soap, body soap, dish soap????

"Hand soap"

Gives directions to exact location and description of where it is in the aisle

" No hand soap; not body soap"

Its exactly where it is

That's why I asked you if you were looking for hand soap because it's not in the same place🤦‍♀️

I hope you never found it

Ttog...

I'm walking back to grocery, Karen and her devil's spawns are stopped at an endcap. The baby is chewing on something from one spot and Karen notices. She is like "stop chewing on that" and then her daughter is like "Mom you're gonna have to buy that now" I kid you not she tells her daughter "NO I don't" I wanted so badly to say " then don't give your kid merchandise to play with" 🙄 Makes you wonder how many toys go back on the shelf after being drooled all over.

To that one (or dozens every day) guest. Yes, I know that you don't like self checkouts. Yes, I know that you think they take jobs away. Yes, I know that you don't get paid to check your own merchandise out. All that said, you do not have to yell it at me just because I am doing my job and telling you that they are available if you want to use them. Also, there is a time in the morning before a regular cashier is scheduled. This is not a personal slight to you, but how the scheduling is due to the slow foot traffic before the mall our store is attached to opens. I will check you out on a regular register if you request it, but if I am helping someone at the self checkout already, I need to finish that first so they can complete their order.

Last edited:
I had a guest tell me that the sign for Pepsi 4 for $10 6 pack is misleading because it was signed near 12 packs. I wanted to tell her its misleading if you can't read because the print for 6 pack is pretty big letters.

Hey, guests, can you not make out in the middle of pFresh? I swear it's the universe taunting me for being single, but I'm sick of it. Happened twice this weekend.

Back