To That One Guest - II

If they do the "but it works everywhere else" say the card reader doesn't have NFC technology. I have no clue if that's true or not, but the lack of function means it's a reasonable explanation.

If they do the "but it works everywhere else" say the card reader doesn't have NFC technology. I have no clue if that's true or not, but the lack of function means it's a reasonable explanation.
These card readers always have but until a few months ago target had it disabled to push wallet. They made a big deal about accepting Apple Pay a few months back when they finally enabled it. A better response is “we’ve been having issues with NFC payments today”

If the guest knows what they’re doing with Apple Pay (and most do, since only techy people use it anyways) it almost always works

Sometimes, guests are upset by the "contact your card issuer" message. Unfortunately, card issuers sometimes use transaction algorithms to detect irregular transaction patterns. Some transactions at other merchants (filling stations, restaurants) involve a temporary "hold" amount higher than the customer's actual purchase. Banks sometimes will place a temporary hold on check deposits into personal checking accounts. Most payments on credit accounts don't fully process until the next business day. Some guests do not understand that business days exclude weekends and all U.S. legal holidays. I've learned not to say much, sometimes the guest is actually rather embarrassed and caught off-guard. In my experience, it's prudent to be patient and polite and not offer the guest any speculation as to why their payment was declined, while politely suggesting that the guest contact the card issuer while inviting them to use another form of payment.

Last edited:
And sometimes it hasn't declined due to money but because the bank froze it for other reasons. My daughter's card once was frozen because she bought gas 25 miles from home. Didn't know until she tried to buy lunch later that day.

I once had my account frozen because I purchased a bunch of 99 cent songs from iTunes and Apple processed each one as a separate transaction. It was about 50 99 cent transactions in one evening. That got flagged as suspicious. Another time, my account was not only frozen, but I was forced to go through a bunch of steps to get an entirely new debit card. That happened because I had purchased a Christmas gift from an Irish retailer directly online.

Banks use complicated algorithms to flag suspicious activity. It sometimes flags legit purchases because the account holder did something out of the ordinary. It sucks when it happens, but it's nice to know that your bank is at least trying to prevent someone from stealing your account number and racking up a bunch of charges because that sucks even worse.

And sometimes it hasn't declined due to money but because the bank froze it for other reasons. My daughter's card once was frozen because she bought gas 25 miles from home. Didn't know until she tried to buy lunch later that day.
My card was declined because the bank froze it because someone bought gas many miles away.*

*Spoiler Alert: IT WASN'T ME!

After that I begrudgingly got a credit card in case it happens again because I don't carry cash much because I hate dealing with change. (Not the doing something different, change; but the fills your pocket & too many damn pennies laying around, change.)

What made me pissy is that she has bought stuff from twice as far away and her bank didn't flag it...but because we live close to the state border the bank assumes that's not a place that anyone can possibly live close to and flagged by state rather than distance. If it had been 25 miles as the crow flies it would have made a lot more sense than hopping over the state line while traveling on a major US highway is a no-no, but going twice as far the opposite direction was cool.

What made me pissy is that she has bought stuff from twice as far away and her bank didn't flag it...but because we live close to the state border the bank assumes that's not a place that anyone can possibly live close to and flagged by state rather than distance. If it had been 25 miles as the crow flies it would have made a lot more sense than hopping over the state line while traveling on a major US highway is a no-no, but going twice as far the opposite direction was cool.
I've learned to contact the card issuer about our travel plans when we go to British Columbia or Oregon even on a long day trip to a border town (Vancouver BC or Portland). Ironically if we drove over to Spokane or Pullman, within our state, we wouldn't need to contact them.

It's stupid that a short hop has to be considered "traveling". Like, we're not going on a tourist trip hours away. 25 miles is a very reasonable distance from home, far more reasonable than 50 miles in the other direction. If banks were really concerned about theft they'd make it a radius, no matter how many borders are crossed within that radius.

I'm stocking in frozen. This guest stands in the aisle with his kids. I'm minding my own business because I am trying to not make contact unless necessary. Guest comes up and looks at my cart. He tells his daughter "she hasn't worked out the pancakes yet" everything on my metro says "Amys" "Birdseye" "Ore-Ida" clearly on the boxes. I tell the guest sorry I don't have pancakes on this cart. We have the mini pancakes and that's it. So does this guy take my answer and leave....no-one minute later here he comes down the aisle. Still no pancakes...

Had he asked me if we had anymore. I would have scanned it to find out. He assumed and promised his daughter. So he got an assumed answer.

From a lurker

TTO (not really) Guest: Our cafe lobby lights were out & the entrance had been blocked off except for an opening for me to push a uboat of supplies thru. You walked right thru behind me, went to a table & began setting up your tablet. As you were pulling down a chair that was upside down on said table, I said "Sir, you can't sit there."
You: "Oh, I'm not buying anything. I'm just working on my tablet."
Me: "This area is closed off. You can't come in here."
You: *looks around* "The rest of the store is open; why can't I sit here?"
Me: "Because we are CLOSED. Please leave."
You: *stalks out angrily*
You were obviously here for the free wifi & ended up getting chased out of three areas for sitting/loitering before AP told you to leave because you weren't wearing a mask.

Dick.

I'm walking into the restroom after this guest. I don't see her so I turn into a stall and ::Bam::: there she is mid de-panting. So I go to the next stall and slam the door to give her a hint. I hear her try too but doesn't since the next guest has the same interaction. Never flushes or washes her hands but is wearing a mask 🤦‍♀️

I followed her out and she obviously looked high as a kite

TToG

NO i cant look up how much credit is left on your red card, you have to call the # on the card

i dont understand how the FUCK you dont understand this, ask me 4 times to check and then have the audacity to say "fine, im going to go to customer service to have them check because YOU dont want to"

then proceed to not go up, not call, and ask mobile to ring you up for the tv you wanted (youre fucking welcome for pulling it for you) and then the card doesnt go thru

so THEN you go to the front and just... never come back

sold the tv minutes after they left anyways

TToG: No, I wasn't peeking my head through clothing to watch you. Trust me, last place I want my face is in between all this gross clothing that people are putting on while on the sales floor. My bad for wearing a blue shirt with a badge on it and staring off into space thinking about food.

Since it wouldn't make much sense to post in the other thread since these go together...

TToTM: I've worked with you for over 3 years now. I've given advice and helped out with school work, and you've seen me handle some situations that produced some fantastic discussions. I really want to know what was going through your mind as you stood there while your mom chewed me out. I really hope it opened your eyes to a different side of everything going on in the world today and I really hope you got to see the other side racism. I'll still be here for you for whatever you may need whenever you may need it.

I've learned to contact the card issuer about our travel plans when we go to British Columbia or Oregon even on a long day trip to a border town (Vancouver BC or Portland). Ironically if we drove over to Spokane or Pullman, within our state, we wouldn't need to contact them.

Yep, I always find out in Mt. Vernon on my way back to Seattle and desperately need fuel that my card has been frozen. Sorry Chase I didn't spend that much up north. I went up once and bought nothing but a Chap Stick(no really!) and that got my card frozen. Then the one time I bought almost a grand worth of hockey gear - not a peep.. :rolleyes:

I got notified by a card issuer about a couple of free games purchased from a "mobile app store" (unspecified which app store or which games). Since I had downloaded a couple of games from iTunes I said they were legit and didn't think anything of it.

Turns out it was a test to see if it could get through fraud detection. Couple grand of plane tickets and too much time spent on the phone with my card issuer later, it was resolved, but I learned my lesson on that one.

I got notified by a card issuer about a couple of free games purchased from a "mobile app store" (unspecified which app store or which games). Since I had downloaded a couple of games from iTunes I said they were legit and didn't think anything of it.

Turns out it was a test to see if it could get through fraud detection. Couple grand of plane tickets and too much time spent on the phone with my card issuer later, it was resolved, but I learned my lesson on that one.
App Store will always identify itself as Apple, I’m pretty sure.

Apple will, but the fraud notification text from my card issuer didn't, for some damn reason, give the name of the company when they notified me of suspected fraud, just the category of the retailer.

I'm stocking in frozen. This guest stands in the aisle with his kids. I'm minding my own business because I am trying to not make contact unless necessary. Guest comes up and looks at my cart. He tells his daughter "she hasn't worked out the pancakes yet" everything on my metro says "Amys" "Birdseye" "Ore-Ida" clearly on the boxes. I tell the guest sorry I don't have pancakes on this cart. We have the mini pancakes and that's it. So does this guy take my answer and leave....no-one minute later here he comes down the aisle. Still no pancakes...

Had he asked me if we had anymore. I would have scanned it to find out. He assumed and promised his daughter. So he got an assumed answer.

The bike aisle is cleaned out empty.

I asked a team member how many bicycles are they putting together in the back? She said, "I don't know." I felt like Sam Kinison in 'Back To School,.... "Good answer. Good answer. I'm gonna be watching you."

Bicycles are the new toilet paper around here. Freaky times man. Freaky.

I was going to tell her I put one in a trailer yesterday at our DC and I'll be back in 6 days to get it but I thought it may sound "too forward", so I didn't bother to warn her that I'LL BE BACK IN S I X D A Y S TO GET IT.

Back