Archived Toughest year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
This past year has been the most intense of my entire career with target. Seems there have been more losses than I can count.

Entire mgmt team is becoming more lost in the shambles as we continue to struggle through the changes that have been pouring in left and right. The old saying that each day is different is an understatement...each day seems more like a battle to stay afloat rather than an easy ride to the other side.

Nobody said it was going to be easy but they could have at least made it easy with communicating the final changes early on. We knew this was going to happen in 2015-2018 but we had no idea it was going to be this fast in 2019.

Needless to say, I am "ready" to get this business up and running again and keep my teams in the loop as much as I can to restore the atmosphere and morale. Let's go.

It could be fun. What's puzzling to me is the HR strategy. It's easy in retail to switch gears, because turnover is high.

What I am seeing is some kind of fantasy thinking that all future employees are better than current ones. Kinda silly.
That's just kinda how you have to present it. Hiring is going to be more in depth now and "scouting" is going to be a thing for STLs more so now than ever before.

If were going to take the target brand into the next level we have to be prone to more potent team members and in hiring "branding" "experts"

My store has a decent amount of tm that got in during the ‘you have a pulse, we need a warm body’ time of hiring. I look forward to working with more qualified and a better work ethic group of adults that give a damn. I don’t get the problem with over 50, I prefer THAT to anyone under 25 any day. Does our demographic shopper really want to be SOLD to by a 17 year old ? I would say get away from me. Show me a 40 year old and I can get some knowledgeable answers. If you can’t vote or pay bills, DON’T advise ME on what to buy. I would love to deal with any business that hires ADULTS. We have been given too many immature leaders that care more about popularity than what is good business practice. I just don’t know how many truly responsible individuals will APPLY. Retail seems to be inherently a part time stepping stone turnover job. Turnover would hurt modernization more than anything else because new hires would constantly be in training for something.

My store has a decent amount of tm that got in during the ‘you have a pulse, we need a warm body’ time of hiring. I look forward to working with more qualified and a better work ethic group of adults that give a damn. I don’t get the problem with over 50, I prefer THAT to anyone under 25 any day. Does our demographic shopper really want to be SOLD to by a 17 year old ? I would say get away from me. Show me a 40 year old and I can get some knowledgeable answers. If you can’t vote or pay bills, DON’T advise ME on what to buy. I would love to deal with any business that hires ADULTS. We have been given too many immature leaders that care more about popularity than what is good business practice. I just don’t know how many truly responsible individuals will APPLY. Retail seems to be inherently a part time stepping stone turnover job. Turnover would hurt modernization more than anything else because new hires would constantly be in training for something.
And where will these adults come from? Where I live most jobs are paying $15 an hour and it is not a lot of money. Plus, most adults will not put up with a company that does not respect them.

Wtf?? And what 40 yo is going to work for a company that says they provide benefits but does everything under the sun to deny them to you by keeping your hours under the threshold? A stupid one, that's who. You might luck out and get someone married with benefits already, but most of them aren't going to kill themselves. You and Target are vastly deluded.

Edit: Sorry for the rant. I'm the person you sound like Target wants. In my 40's. Always great reviews. But they are going to push me out because of the benefit thing.

Last edited:
If Target really wants “experts” and people that know what the hell is going on, why don’t they hire only full time employees? 40 hour a week people assigned to running each aspect of a department. That way they can specialize and learn the job faster. What does retail have against full time employees? Yes you pay benefits but there are plenty of people working 30+ hours receiving benefits as it is.

If Target really wants “experts” and people that know what the hell is going on, why don’t they hire only full time employees? 40 hour a week people assigned to running each aspect of a department. That way they can specialize and learn the job faster. What does retail have against full time employees? Yes you pay benefits but there are plenty of people working 30+ hours receiving benefits as it is.

I think Target's definition of expert and designated business owner is different than any other entity. Target's definition is lowlife air-breather which is not worthy of the respect you'd give an insect you are a out to spray with Raid and is easily (read: should be) replaced every few months.

That's just kinda how you have to present it. Hiring is going to be more in depth now and "scouting" is going to be a thing for STLs more so now than ever before.

If were going to take the target brand into the next level we have to be prone to more potent team members and in hiring "branding" "experts"
Experts at stocking shelves? Come on. I do see that the higher pay might give an edge in small markets, but not in most cities. In fact, here, we are paying less than say, Lowes.

I think Target's definition of expert and designated business owner is different than any other entity. Target's definition is lowlife air-breather which is not worthy of the respect you'd give an insect you are a out to spray with Raid and is easily (read: should be) replaced every few months.
sad but you are not wrong. ASANTS and all but this is how they talk about us when they think there is no one around. we BR folk tend to blend in. and if ya gonna talk crap make sure that there is nobody in the aisle beside the one you are in.

What does retail have against full time employees? Yes you pay benefits but there are plenty of people working 30+ hours receiving benefits as it is.

The company pays for benefits and then the company benefits because it has a hard-working, knowledgeable workforce that can both treat a guest (Karen) well and upsell.

Spot is cheap. And they never learn. All corporate can see is the money they pay out for benefits, not the advantages that experienced team members bring to the business. Apparently paying training costs for the revolving door of newbies is cheaper, or Spot thinks it is, but then again, corporate isn’t exactly a brain trust either.

sad but you are not wrong. ASANTS and all but this is how they talk about us when they think there is no one around. we BR folk tend to blend in. and if ya gonna talk crap make sure that there is nobody in the aisle beside the one you are in.
It’s amazing what it is said within hearing of backroom TMs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back