• Yes -- a one-time lump sum

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 96 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also can we refuse to sign at all?
I'm not going to sign. I'm never around during morning huddle and I usually leave before night huddle (love mid days for that reason) so I have an excuse to play dumb.

I'm not going to sign. I'm never around during morning huddle and I usually leave before night huddle (love mid days for that reason) so I have an excuse to play dumb.

What a great team player!!!

At my store the HRTM hands them out as people walk in or out and the stack is on the desk for anyone else.

I hate that they hold you hostage for United Way crap. If I don't want to go to the kick off, then I shouldn't have to. No one else in the building can solicit for anything. But corporate does this every year. The amount of time and $$$ spent to get everyone to sign up could be used in much better ways. If you choose to donate to a charity, that is a private decision.

I hate that they hold you hostage for United Way crap. If I don't want to go to the kick off, then I shouldn't have to. No one else in the building can solicit for anything. But corporate does this every year. The amount of time and $$$ spent to get everyone to sign up could be used in much better ways. If you choose to donate to a charity, that is a private decision.
this and the best team survey are 2 things that we need to get rid of .

I have a couple of local charities I always budget a bit for; Meals on Wheels, a women's clinic, a children's home, a shelter for victims of domestic violence.
I've volunteered/worked with each of them & I see the results yet UW decided to reduce or eliminate funding to them so I decided to give directly to THEM instead of UW.
Hardlinesmaster's article & researching how much they spend on admin costs vs what actually goes to the group were also factors.
Whenever my ETL-HR starts wheedling about participation, I tell her it's not my fault UW cut them out.

Are you pulling people one by one? I was thinking of setting up the cards in TMSC and letting them put it in a confidential envelope.

Yes I do. I left some cards in the TMSC and not a single one was returned.
I printed out a store roster for the entire team and every day I print a grid. I highlight the Team Members working that day and find them on the salesfloor, backroom etc. I take over for the cashiers and Guest service and help guests while they fill out their cards. I do not have an HR ETL or HR TL so it's all on me to get everyone to participate. I am up to 72% participation. I make sure the emphasize that they do not need to pledge.

So, because I don't want to sign something that i don't have to means I'm a bad employee?

It helps your HR TM if you sign the stupid card. Trust me, I hate having to harass every single team member about signing the card. I have no issue with those who do not want to pledge and I don't want anyone feel obligated to pledge. If you sign the card, you help the HRTM with their job. It takes 30 seconds to write down your name, TM number, check the box I wish not to pledge and sign and date.

Yes I do. I left some cards in the TMSC and not a single one was returned.
I printed out a store roster for the entire team and every day I print a grid. I highlight the Team Members working that day and find them on the salesfloor, backroom etc. I take over for the cashiers and Guest service and help guests while they fill out their cards. I do not have an HR ETL or HR TL so it's all on me to get everyone to participate. I am up to 72% participation. I make sure the emphasize that they do not need to pledge.

What do you do if they refuse?

What do you do if they refuse?

I haven't had anyone refuse to sign the card. I emphasize that they are not obligated in any way to pledge and we just strive for 100% participation regardless if they want to pledge or not.
If someone refused I wouldn't do anything. If my STL or HRBP would ask me why I did not get 100% participation, I would mention that some TM refused to sign it. I doubt anything would come out of it. They can't force anyone to sign a card.

You can refuse out of spite but you aren't really sticking it to Target you are sticking it to your HR team.

It's pretty simple to sign saying you don't want to give and get on with your life. All target wants is you to acknowledge you considered giving. My old stl used to give fifty bucks every check. Then again if I made six figures I would too lol

You can refuse out of spite but you aren't really sticking it to Target you are sticking it to your HR team.

It's pretty simple to sign saying you don't want to give and get on with your life. All target wants is you to acknowledge you considered giving. My old stl used to give fifty bucks every check. Then again if I made six figures I would too lol

My STL gives $80 out of each check.
If you are preparing yourself to be able to "play dumb"... then you are a bad team player. I said nothing of you as an employee.

I feel bad for your poor HR team certainly. They're just doing THEIR jobs.

That is how I feel. We are just trying to do our job. We get rated based on things like that and our raises depend on our ratings. We are paygrade NO7, same as flow. Our wages are below the poverty level. That is one of the reasons I don't like the campaign. So many of our team members struggle financially.
My spouse has a good job that supports us, there is no way we could survive on my Target paychecks.

Are you pulling people one by one? I was thinking of setting up the cards in TMSC and letting them put it in a confidential envelope.
It's a little easier for my ETL since we have a captive team on overnights, but she filled out the cards ahead of time (name, TM#) and all we had to do is either fill in the donation info or check the box and then sign it. That's it. She just kept the stack at the TMSC and during breaks as people walked by she would call them over to sign it quick and stuffing it in a confidential envelope. We use the PA system to announce breaks, and she even used that at the end of break to call over those that she hadn't gotten to sign the cards yet that night. lol

If you are preparing yourself to be able to "play dumb"... then you are a bad team player. I said nothing of you as an employee.

I feel bad for your poor HR team certainly. They're just doing THEIR jobs.

We are just trying to do our job. We get rated based on things like that and our raises depend on our ratings. We are paygrade NO7, same as flow. Our wages are below the poverty level. That is one of the reasons I don't like the campaign. So many of our team members struggle financially.
A wise TM once told me to always be nice to the people who handle your pay.
Our HRTM reminds people to fix missed punches so they can get paid, tells them who to call when something is wrong with their benefits, keys in vay-cay so they can get paid, hounds leadership about approving time-off requests, fixes countless mistakes due to TMs' ineptitude SO THEY CAN GET PAID.
Seriously, be kind to folks who help you get your pay.

Our HRTM reminds people to fix missed punches so they can get paid, tells them who to call when something is wrong with their benefits, keys in vay-cay so they can get paid, hounds leadership about approving time-off requests, fixes countless mistakes due to TMs' ineptitude SO THEY CAN GET PAID.

This! Every once in a while I clean the tables in the break room. Fill the forks in the drawer. I always have forks, they didn't have too. So when I need them to look into an issue they do it.

I donate 1 dollar per paycheck. But the first couple years I didn't do even that. I wouldn't fault anyone for not donating, though.

United Way is actually generally considered one of the leaner charities, in terms of administrative costs. Whereas some local animal charities have very high administrative costs.

Holy crap though if a representative from United Way said that stuff to me I wouldn't donate anything, that is incredibly obnoxious.

This is NOT true. A few years ago I read an article in Consumers Report that stated that the United Way is a charity that uses a surprisingly low percentage of donations to actually fund charitable works. The head of United Way makes a HUGE salary and they use another large portion of donations to raise funds (that person that comes to talk to team members about donating is probably getting paid to do so & may NOT be a volunteer). There are many LEANER charities to donate to. This article stated that the Salvation Army used a much higher percentage of donations to help people. I would also think that donating to a local food bank (monetary/food donation) would be a better way to make a charitable donation that would make more of a difference in your local area rather than donating to the United Way.

I like your HRTM ;). I do everything you wrote. I make sure all punches are fixed so people get paid. I make sure all paid time off requests are approved so people get paid. I will hound Leadership and the STL if time-off requests are not approved.
I feel crummy on a Monday? I still come in because Payroll needs to get done so people get paid and we don't have an HR ETL or TL yet. I would love to take a 4 day weekend but I don't because who would do payroll? I can't take Thursdays off either because of the schedule.
At some point we will get a HR SR TL and I will get my 4 day weekend, so it's all good.

I also plan and execute all FFF events. I stock the break room with utensils, plates and cups. I clean up after the TM in the break room. I can't tell you how many times I have a crying, stressed out TM and TL in my office because they are overwhelmed and they know I will listen and find a resolution for them. This is what the HR ETL is for but even when we had an HR ETL, the team would always come to me first.

I really love my job, the team ( well most of them ;)) and my position. I take my job seriously and want to give 110%. The Team always writes me cards thanking me and they will thank me in person and in huddles. I just smile and tell them I am just doing my job.
Part of my job is getting every single TM to sign a card, I honestly don't care if you pledge or not. I just care about 100% participation.

Any tm can fix a punch, hr doesn't need to do it.

So get this. You don't punch out Saturday it's a pay week and Monday morning your hrtm calls out.

Target corp realizing you didn't punch out cuts the 3 or 4 hours after your your meal you worked and now suddenly you lose 50 bucks off your check.

An hrtm would audit your schedule and assume you finished that shift and key that in until you can correct it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back