Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Yes -- a one-time lump sum

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 96 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they hold it against you if you don't donate/participate? I was literally hounded about this all shift. Nothing against United Way although I'm not sure they give a good enough % to actual charitable causes but I really hate feeling pressured to participate.

Aint nobody gonna tell me where my money goes. ETL's at my store are doing the same, and they're even getting their lap doggy TM's (Brand) to nag us about it. If I wanna drop it on blow and hookers, so be it. I'm not against charity or anything, but I'm not gonna be pressured into it just because people want me to.

So, they had a meeting today and the United Way rep was talking about how it costs $50k per year to live where we are.

Out of the 30 people in the huddle, only 3 made more then that..... the 2 ETLs and the STL. The rest of us are (well) under that number, myself as a TL included. It's like.... really? You're discussing living wages and poverty lines to RETAIL workers?

F off. I proudly handed in my "I choose not to participate" donation because of the berating discussions of this annoying rep. Her whole spiel felt like she was addressing a room of people she assumed made 60k plus And when some of the higher ups coyly asked me about donations... I just said "Yeah, I turned in the form." and refused to answer what I had checked. They quickly dropped it.

F'ing.... seriously. It just pissed me off to hear this BS about poverty lines and living wages, etc....

It was just insulting.

Last edited:
You don't have to donate. There's a box that says you wish not to donate. You can also have United Way donate money to another charity of your choice. Maybe your HR didn't explain it every well. We were told even a $1 goes a long way but that Target was completely okay with you deciding not to donate. Your store will be expected to raise money as well.

They hopefully were just hounding you about turning in the form, not about having to donate. I've had the former happen every year but never chosen to donate through them, with no repercussions here.
So, they had a meeting today and the United Way rep was talking about how it costs $50k per year to live where we are.

Out of the 30 people in the huddle, only 3 made more then that..... the 2 ETLs and the STL. The rest of us are (well) under that number, myself as a TL included. It's like.... really? You're discussing living wages and poverty lines to RETAIL workers?
Yeesh. They're not going to get far with that pitch.

Can they hold it against you if you don't donate/participate? I was literally hounded about this all shift. Nothing against United Way although I'm not sure they give a good enough % to actual charitable causes but I really hate feeling pressured to participate.
The store will be graded on participation, and it still counts as participating if you take the form and choose to decline to donate. At my store it falls on the HRTM, so I'll at least fill out the form for her.

it still counts as participating if you take the form and choose to decline to donate. .
Wish I had known that. I like all our HR people and they aim for full participation so I, begrudgingly, donated five bucks. I don't donate to national charities, only local, so it went against my own principles to contribute...but wanted to make sure they got as much participation as possible. I would have declined to donate had I known they still would have gotten credit. That makes sense though, considering how much the ETLs dogged us about filling out the form, even checking no participation.

I refuse to donate to anything. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

The speaker did provide a good 20 min break so eh.

Spot can moan and bitch all they want to guilt you into donating but it is YOUR money for YOU to do whatever you damn well please with it. I donate to charities that I feel very strongly about. United way is NOT one of them.

I donate to two local animal charities. Spot and United way can suck it. It's fun to make them look up the tax id numbers every year

I didn't chose to donate this year. Not really sure why. I didn't like the ambivalence of the form. Previous years, if I remember correctly, were set up to where it gave suggestions on how much to donate. Like, .25 cents a paycheck. This year, it didn't. It made me wonder if people would jot down way more than they meant to out of pressure or just not knowing the math well and not taking the time to figure it out. That's not why I chose not to donate, but it did kinda rub me the wrong way to see cases where forms were very informative about your money, and then forms that were less informative.

Anyway, my store only pushes participation, less so on the money earned.

My goal is to get every tm to sign a card. I tell them twice while they fill out the card that they are not obligated to pledge and I just have to collect a card from every TM regardless if they would like to pledge or not. I don't want anyone feeling obligated. A lot of our TM are struggling financially. Some have a second job to make ends need.

We had the United Way spokes person on Friday. I also found it very unfitting that she was telling us how our donations will help people get their bills paid and help get people placed in programs that will help them get a higher paying job. I was thinking Lady, what to do you think a TM makes here? Even most TL don't make a livable wage. You are asking people who are fitting your description.

I didn't even turn in the card. No one has asked for it and fuck them it's not in the job description.

Fill out a card even if you don't want to donate!! Apparently Target is going to be randomly choosing a number of cards and if your card is chosen you get a $500 donation to the charity of your choice- even if you check the "I choose not to give at this time" box!

I probably wouldn't have had the guts to say something like "actually, it doesn't. I know, because I don't even make half that working here!" at huddle, but I DEFINITELY would've been dropping passive aggressive statements within earshot of my STL for the next day or two. It sucks when the higher ups have that "I don't mix with riff-raff" attitude towards TMs, but sometimes it sucks more when you can tell they've clearly spent a lot of time lying to themselves and convincing themselves we're all paid well and not constantly stressing over finances.

My ETL asked if I was taking any vacations this year (right before he went on a week-long Mexican cruise) and I just looked at him and said "...really? I work at Target- of course I'm not taking any vacations" and right away he said "hey, I work at Target too!"

....yea...and you're making 4x what I make. We work in the same building, but our financial lives are very, very, very different.

We had a similar story around here a few years ago. I'd rather give straight to a charity.

I was given a,stack and told to have my team do them.

I donate 1 dollar per paycheck. But the first couple years I didn't do even that. I wouldn't fault anyone for not donating, though.

United Way is actually generally considered one of the leaner charities, in terms of administrative costs. Whereas some local animal charities have very high administrative costs.

Holy crap though if a representative from United Way said that stuff to me I wouldn't donate anything, that is incredibly obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back