Will I get fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsoluteZero

Mr. REDcard Cashier
Hey all,

I'm new to Target and to The Break Room. I'm finishing out my second month at my store with 90 days just a few weeks away. I am a high school student, and a band member to boot, which of course causes some real scheduling issues. It's already led to some pretty serious problems. I've had to call out 3 separate times because of a miscommunication on availability. I even have 3 NCNS on my record, though two of them were supposed to be taken off because I was never told to come in. One of them, however, was legit. I wasn't aware I was working, and of course, I was at band practice marching on the practice field for 5 hours so I was away from my phone to receive any calls. I talked to my ETL (I'm a cashier) and she seemed a little bit peeved, but reluctantly, she agreed to fix my scheduling issues. So now things are all good. All of that occurred within the first month. Now to give some context, I'm pretty well liked among the higher ups at my store. They know I'm a hard worker and I produce a lot of red cards for them. I'm always looking for new things to do or more hours. I'm just afraid that my attendance record will cause them to decide I'm not worth the effort after 90 days. I really want to keep my job. Thanks for any help!

If you got your schedule figured out and only one of those was your fault and you took responsibility for it. If you are a decent cashier get some red cards, seem to have a handle on what you do, show up on time, not calling out just tardy, I would say you have a decent shot. Since we are going into 4th quarter when they hire seasonal so they may keep you.

I know school is starting back up make sure you get your class and band schedule updated as quickly as you get it. And be willing to work on weekends and holidays you are not doing band stuff.

Hmm if you have attendance issues it's going to be tough to stay on. A lot of stores don't hire minors for the very reason. A lack of reliability.

Many prove that stereotype wrong. I guess what you do from here on out matters. Show up, pickup shifts and get red cards. They haven't fired you yet even though they could have.

Don't give them a reason to.

If you're good at getting red cards, they'll fight to keep you around.

But keep in mind that there is a limit and that dependability goes a long way when it comes to attendance.

Usually at 3 NCNS on your record, they would have terminated you. Even if you do stay beyond 90, the record stays with you though at some point it drops off depending on your offenses and how often you did them.

Just continue to show up the rest of your shift and produce results with them. If you can't work a shift, work a deal with another team member so the shift is covered.

If it was posted that you were scheduled and missed it, the shift is on you.

But if posted schedule has you off, and they claim you missed a shift. It is on them. But have your schedule printed to back you up.

Get your availability situated so chances of you missing another shift is Zero. And let them now of your school obligations. Just overcome this issue and show them you can do it.

Last edited:
This why sometimes I feel like smacking someone in the mouth. Here you have a person , multiple call outs and multiple NCNS and they still keep em around what a fuqing shame

This why sometimes I feel like smacking someone in the mouth. Here you have a person , multiple call outs and multiple NCNS and they still keep em around what a fuqing shame

I don't agree with you often but it's inexcusable. When you NCNS short of a life or death emergency it shows you don't care.

I obviously have very little control over hiring and firing but I told my leaders accountable if we fire one person for ncns in 90 days we have to do it with everyone.

I don't agree with you often but it's inexcusable. When you NCNS short of a life or death emergency it shows you don't care.

I obviously have very little control over hiring and firing but I told my leaders accountable if we fire one person for ncns in 90 days we have to do it with everyone.
I know I am irrational at times , and that's by design. Some posters rub me the wrong way . If a person doesn't have the decency to call and say they can't make it , that person needs to be termd on the spot!

My guess is they keep you through the holidays and let you go once January hits.
Yep, when we started deciding who to keep after the holidays we looked for 'rockstars' in terms of attendance, work ethic, flexibility, etc.
Then they start cutting the hrs of deadwood.

I know I am irrational at times , and that's by design. Some posters rub me the wrong way . If a person doesn't have the decency to call and say they can't make it , that person needs to be termd on the spot!

You obviously didn't read my whole statement. I'm not some jack off who just decided not to come in 3 times. Two of those instances were 100% on their end. I was never notified, it wasn't on the schedule, they didn't call, and I wasn't in the online system yet. They took responsibility for those. The other one was another miscommunication. I couldn't come in because I had a school commitment (That I told them about) and couldn't call because I'm in a military band, where phones are completely forbidden. I don't appreciate your rudeness, given the circumstances.

My guess is they keep you through the holidays and let you go once January hits.
Yep, when we started deciding who to keep after the holidays we looked for 'rockstars' in terms of attendance, work ethic, flexibility, etc.
Then they start cutting the hrs of deadwood.

I really hope they don't decide to do that. My ETL seems to like me well enough, and I've made every effort to solve any scheduling issues. All of the ETL's and GSTL's like me. They know that I do my job well, especially for a newbie. I'll be extremely disappointed if they decide to cut me in January especially. If you plan to let me go, don't leave me twisting in the wind thinking that I'm going to have this job (and income) for the foreseeable future.

If you're doing well, they'll use the opportunity to get rid of some of the loafers that have overstayed their time.
That was what we looked for in seasonals: new blood who could hustle, finish tasks with a sense of urgency, take the initiative, get rid of the lazy TMs who had become complacent & do the bare minimum to get by.

I really hope they don't decide to do that. My ETL seems to like me well enough, and I've made every effort to solve any scheduling issues. All of the ETL's and GSTL's like me. They know that I do my job well, especially for a newbie. I'll be extremely disappointed if they decide to cut me in January especially. If you plan to let me go, don't leave me twisting in the wind thinking that I'm going to have this job (and income) for the foreseeable future.

My advice...from this point forward work hard, show up, make sure 100% of what your schedule is. Don't call out, if you are absolutely bed ridden and can't go in, get a doctors note! Stay late if they ask also. Hopefully they see your work ethic and tenacity to keep your job and decide to keep you on. But consider yourself as having no more chances.

My advice...from this point forward work hard, show up, make sure 100% of what your schedule is. Don't call out, if you are absolutely bed ridden and can't go in, get a doctors note! Stay late if they ask also. Hopefully they see your work ethic and tenacity to keep your job and decide to keep you on. But consider yourself as having no more chances.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best.

You obviously didn't read my whole statement. I'm not some jack off who just decided not to come in 3 times. Two of those instances were 100% on their end. I was never notified, it wasn't on the schedule, they didn't call, and I wasn't in the online system yet. They took responsibility for those. The other one was another miscommunication. I couldn't come in because I had a school commitment (That I told them about) and couldn't call because I'm in a military band, where phones are completely forbidden. I don't appreciate your rudeness, given the circumstances.
Like I said termd on the spot. You sound like way too much drama. You have given enough excuses to last a life time. Your "military band" is like the Army Reserves? Where you get called at a moments notice? No prior notification? It's like you woke up and they marched you off to band practice, and you had no chance ever to notify your employer? Stop making excuses! I am sorry if I seem rude but you are trying to defend a crapy attendance record, and that inexcusable. Now let's see if you will be humble ,bow your head and self reflect.

I don't have any idea how you make it through your first month with those kind of attendance issues. I'd fire you for 3 call outs within your first 90 days, not to mention a NCNS. I can work with and develop underperforming TMs, but if you're not even at work, you are offering 0% productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back