MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been with Target for a little over two years working in flow and I am new to this website. Wanting to understand what is going on at my store, I started Googling and alas, I'm here. Saying that I feel like a deer caught in headlamps right now as I read through this thread, would be an understatement. I had no idea....

For what my opinion is worth (and it may not be worth much), I think modernization has been successful at my store, too successful. We went from barely finishing the trucks (2,100/per avg truck) in 8 hours to finishing same truck in an avg 5 hours. One of the things we did that was just plum crazy was bowling from the pallets/flatbeds to the floor to the shelf. Now sorting from the line to u-boats is just smarter all the way around. We've also doubled the unload crew making it a lot easier physically. That said, this has taken a huge bite out of my paycheck from the lack of hours. Further, Target also reduced my hourly rate by $1 when they shifted our start time from 4am to 6am. Now, I'm at a point where I need to decide if I want to stay with Target going forward? Sounds like April 1st is going to be a big day at Target w/ big announcements. Sounds like the Flow team as I know it now will be no more. It also sounds like the hours I was accustomed to will not be returning? That $15/hr pay raise/pie in-the-sky number doesn't really equate to much when my hours have been cut by half.

I'm starting to think it’s time to start a new chapter.

Something else I’ve noticed at my store and others that I've visited. Not too many folks at the ETL or TL in the 40s-50s age range? Is this the case at your store? I'd like to think it’s just my store?

I was asked yesterday by the STL 4 questions.
1. Are you willing to close M-F weekends off?
2. Are you interested in working in a different area of the store?
3. Would you be interested in working in food service?
4. Are you willing to transfer to another store?

I’m already seeing the writing on the wall.

Oh, so THAT's why I got asked to go to market. Hardlines at my store is going to be a ghost town and softlines is a lost cause.

Debating asking to go to flex. Seriously. At least I show up for work though.

We've been losing sales because the items don't get any time on the clearance endcaps, and our store has a lot of shoppers who go around the store to the back endcaps looking for deals. I dont like salvage being the same week of the set. I enjoy it being delayed by a week or two
Tell the guest if they want bargains to go to goodwill. We are tarjay

Eventually, some corporate dude is going to watch this clip and "Modernization" will become "Specialization" and be an excuse to gut even more hours.

You only need to watch about 30 seconds from where the video plays.

This is exactly why Modernization doesn't work for most stores. Having everybody be a "jack of all trades" has a huge downside. Mastering a specific skill takes a lot of time and the turnover rate will ensure that mastering all the skills needed for modernization to work will never happen.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I've been with Target for a little over two years working in flow and I am new to this website. Wanting to understand what is going on at my store, I started Googling and alas, I'm here. Saying that I feel like a deer caught in headlamps right now as I read through this thread, would be an understatement. I had no idea....

For what my opinion is worth (and it may not be worth much), I think modernization has been successful at my store, too successful. We went from barely finishing the trucks (2,100/per avg truck) in 8 hours to finishing same truck in an avg 5 hours. One of the things we did that was just plum crazy was bowling from the pallets/flatbeds to the floor to the shelf. Now sorting from the line to u-boats is just smarter all the way around. We've also doubled the unload crew making it a lot easier physically. That said, this has taken a huge bite out of my paycheck from the lack of hours. Further, Target also reduced my hourly rate by $1 when they shifted our start time from 4am to 6am. Now, I'm at a point where I need to decide if I want to stay with Target going forward? Sounds like April 1st is going to be a big day at Target w/ big announcements. Sounds like the Flow team as I know it now will be no more. It also sounds like the hours I was accustomed to will not be returning? That $15/hr pay raise/pie in-the-sky number doesn't really equate to much when my hours have been cut by half.

I'm starting to think it’s time to start a new chapter.

Something else I’ve noticed at my store and others that I've visited. Not too many folks at the ETL or TL in the 40s-50s age range? Is this the case at your store? I'd like to think it’s just my store?
Target wants younger more impressionable managers that don't know any better. They want younger people that can move quicker. Modernization is not a time for old, fat or disabled people... Target wants them performanced out ASAP.

I was asked yesterday by the STL 4 questions.
1. Are you willing to close M-F weekends off?
2. Are you interested in working in a different area of the store?
3. Would you be interested in working in food service?
4. Are you willing to transfer to another store?

I’m already seeing the writing on the wall.

This is definitely going to vary per store. Our consumables TL works 930-6, our new role meat, dairy, frozen TL will be doing 9-530, our produce TL is 8-430, and I am whatever I schedule myself besides my one late mid during the week and my closing weekend.
What about Starbucks TL. What is there schedule like?

So a store in my area will have consumables take over Food Services and Starbucks. Anyone heard of this with mordernization?

The salvage of folders at the end of BTS can get hilarious. There's either just a few or a shitload, there's no in between
You don't have teachers buy you out at 90%?

Honestly, the day before we salvage the notebooks and folders, I ask bts guests (who are mostly teachers) how much they were planning on spending today, and then load up they cart with most of the clearance and then sell it to them for what they were willing to spend.

Sold a guy 2 full carts of composition books for $30. Had no salvage the next day.

First: Following this thread has had me so worked up and nervous wondering what is the future for my position and my store overall.
Huge Thank you to my STL today for putting my mind at ease. The information I received was presented as a positive change for both me personally and as a whole for operations within our store. I am really sorry that modernization is not working in some stores but I have confidence that we can do it. ok, we havn’t actually started yet so i’ll Have to keep you posted if I was wrong, but I really like what I heard.

Positives:
1. We each have an AREA of the store instead of a PROCESS - upside is : no more fighting between teams “cause you cut corners, my job is harder”
2. No more annoying lazy GSA’s a.k.a. Cashiers with Attitude
3. No more ‘only 1 LOD’ available - there will be a leader for every area - more leaders available with answers
4. End of year BONUS - not going to miss out on that.
5. TL will no longer be just overworked tm’s - we can truly lead to effect results - not Work AND try to lead.
6. Increase in TL head count for us.
7. Everyone has to cashier - no special pass exceptions for specialty teams ( I mean you : inbound/Plano/pricing TM - YOU are no longer “special” ) - go backup !

Negatives:
1. Someone has to close 5 nights a week - have to say i’m Surprised to read some don’t see this as a big yuck. Better you than me.
2. We miss supper with the family if we have 10-6:30 shifts. I see this as an increasing trend that is leading to greater breakdown of the close family unit.
And eating later in the evening contributing to obesity (8-4 great, 9-5 manageable, 10-6 the latest that is reasonable)

Now to get everyone mad at me, but i’m Going to say it :
Please stop whining and come up with solutions and start sharing how to make this work !
I want to get this par-tay started with fully trained tm’s, strong routines and firm expectations ! (Monday)

Back