MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So at our store we as TL's do CO, open doors and our ETL doesn't come in until 11 or this past weekend it was 2pm. Maybe Target is thinking out it's executives...if TL's can do what they do then I see a future of store directors and less ETL's...more TL's...hmmmmmm
My thought exactly. We can see that, but can the leaders see that?;)
They gutted corp. are they now working on the stores? Stay tuned...

Is anyone else getting a renovation in their beauty section? A sign just went up in my store saying its being renovated and it looks like there will be a TV display or something in this area. To be clear, my store already had the full renovation last year or the year before

I've heard our managers talk about losing hours. They're getting slashed and slashed and I'm hearing that they're getting told they need to cut even more.

Hours are being cut across the board for everyone...unless your store is doing "well enough" I guess. Whatever that means anymore.

Surprise visit at my store today. Or at least I think it was a surprise as we had a couple vehicles of rollover from yesterday which made the unload difficult

How’s everyone adapting to mod! Still working out the kinks ....
Of course I'm being sarcastic, BUT isn't that why they piloted this OP Model in all different prototypes all over the US? And we're still working out the kinks?! Seriously! Biggest thing for us is not having is enough payroll to successfully finish truck and then to segue into our "Dedicated Areas." You can look at it anyway you want but without the payroll or the fully trained people in place with fully trained back up people, we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off! Ok, now I'm really being sarcastic!

How’s everyone adapting to mod! Still working out the kinks ....
Our new ETL (3rd in 8 months) had me pull pricing batches, mark them and hang them for like four hours during my five hour closing shift where I also had a zone so there’s that.

Sloth

Market
As a whole payroll shouldn’t go down. Just allocated differently. The problem is, being a new process, and people learning it, stuff takes longer to do at first until people become proficient. Also, time is spent training and teaching the process. So at least initially, it does feel like there’s less hours. Also, it will take some time for stores to figure out how to allocate everything so the most gets done.
The entire point of modernization is efficiency (though that should be in quotations, for obvious reasons). Why? To do more with less. Of course hours are going to go down. That's the goal.

You can have less cashiers when everyone can cash, for example. Compared to last year, we're at ~500-600 less hours each week, sometimes more. The trucks are all the same size as they were before, so the workload hasn't changed. We're just given less hours to actually do it.

This “Area Owner” stuff is so silly. At my store we have to do pulls now. So I went from being a normal flow worker to answering phones, cashiering, backstocking, and now they want us to do the pulls too since the backroom has been dissolved. ALL IN 5 - 6 hours!! Anything less than full-time isn’t enough to do all that!

I won’t make it through the summer. It’s been fun, guys.

Last edited:

seasonaldude

Hitting All Items Scanned
It's really strange that they aren't throwing money at stores right now to get modernization implemented and working. I could understand if they gave TMs hours right now, got them efficient at their new roles, and then cut hours backs. That would be a workable, albeit malicious, corporate plan. Cutting hours and expecting the efficiency to just happen is magical thinking.

It's really strange that they aren't throwing money at stores right now to get modernization implemented and working. I could understand if they gave TMs hours right now, got them efficient at their new roles, and then cut hours backs. That would be a workable, albeit malicious, corporate plan. Cutting hours and expecting the efficiency to just happen is magical thinking.
It’s like they want to push old TMs out the door. A lot of us would gladly do all of this if they gave us more hours. There are people at my store who’s been there a decade, and still don’t get 40 hours a week. I’m going on my 5th year. They keep saying $15 an hour, but that’s not a livable wage when you’re averaging 20 hours a week.

And everyone knows this. Once I quit I’ll probably never step foot inside a Target again, or I’ll wait until a massive going out of business sale 😂

Hours are 100% going down. The “being allocated to different workcenters” is bs. This time last year we were at 3900-4200 hours now we are around 2800-2900
Did your store make sales year end? If not, that is the reason for the payroll decrease.

seasonaldude

Hitting All Items Scanned
It’s like they want to push old TMs out the door.
Yes, but even then it's a nonsensical plan. First, give the old TMs hours to make it work, then start cutting. They will start to leave for greener pastures. However, they won't all leave at once. Some will still be available to train the replacements. Eventually, all the old TMs will be gone and the first replacements then train the last replacements. Then, you would have achieved your nefarious goals.

Pushing out the old TMs first makes things more difficult on yourself.

Antennae

BROPU
Yes, but even then it's a nonsensical plan. First, give the old TMs hours to make it work, then start cutting. They will start to leave for greener pastures. However, they won't all leave at once. Some will still be available to train the replacements. Eventually, all the old TMs will be gone and the first replacements then train the last replacements. Then, you would have achieved your nefarious goals.

Pushing out the old TMs first makes things more difficult on yourself.
But this doesn't make it so next quarter's shares go up up up. No one cares about shares next year or five years from now.