MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
When my STL had many huddles explaining the changes to us, others voiced their concerns over the hours and having time to complete their tasks in such a short time frame. His response was really a brush off and said then there's Tuesday and Thursday to schedule you in. Most of the ppI work with don't know how to do pricing, sales planners, pog, etc. In my humble opinion, Target doesn't cross train their employees and it's really showing. And at your store are other team members being brought in early some mornings and later the next? And how are the trucks? At my store we took some small trucks and then it fluctuates.

I got my review and the paper itself was the most impersonal thing I've ever seen. No more TL comments on it. It's a total waste of paper, DIO, etc.
My TL is just as disgusted with Target's current situation as most of us are. During my review, he told me that "Target wants to focus on what will happen next year and not the previous year." He made the quote marks with his hands because he was sarcastically repeating something he was told he had to say. Apparently everyone in my store got the save review score.
This just feels like its another way to get the veteran TMs to leave. Because we remember what things were like before they started their "Modernization" garbage. Back when we could finish the truck before noon, had an empty backroom, and U-Boats didn't clutter everything making the entire receiving area a claustrophobic nightmare.

My TL said that Target only wants leaders to explain the new process once. If the TM needs to ask questions after the initial meeting or fails to do the correct process it will result in automatic coaching. Might be a district thing but sounds like something corporate would say. Everyone better remember (in my district at least) that it goes EXF, pull batch and auto, push the pulls, push freight, backstock. Sounds simple but I know someone is gonna mess it up

My TL said that Target only wants leaders to explain the new process once. If the TM needs to ask questions after the initial meeting or fails to do the correct process it will result in automatic coaching. Might be a district thing but sounds like something corporate would say. Everyone better remember (in my district at least) that it goes EXF, pull batch and auto, push the pulls, push freight, backstock. Sounds simple but I know someone is gonna mess it up
At which point do you zone?

Oh, so the OWNER of the area doesn't have much power do they? Here's your title .... not much else.

I just talked to a friend of mine that transferred to another store in our district. Inbound and salesfloor tms in hardlines are being scheduled 3 hrs. She wasn't sure if they are fully modernized. It's still amazes me how different stores are run. In her store softlines is still doing the detrashing. In my store it is inbound, as, I feel, it should be.

My TL told me that next year's reviews and pay increases will be based on sales. So you get to own that.

That's crazy. It's not like TMs can decide what products to sell or control the supply. The DCs either send Airpods or they don't, for example. If they don't, that's going to affect electronics' sales negatively. The electronics TMs shouldn't get a lower raise because of it.

Of course, pay increases next year will probably be pointless again.

Can someone please explain the logic of exf’ing lows and outs when there’s a good chance that merchandise is on your u-boat coming off the truck while you’re scanning?
People have explained it as getting dated product out of the back, which makes sense for market, but not necessarily office or beds. I pulled 6 bottles of glue for an EXF today. Know what was in one of my repacks and ended up having to backstock? A case holding 6 bottles of glue 😑

Ok sounds great how is it Getting completed when people get 4 hour shifts with out pushing freight to the next day? You also not figuring in backroom ownership of your areas aisles, reship, cashier back ups, guests service, sales planners and pogs, price change. Just wondering how all this gets done in a 3-4 hour shift if anyone knows I would like to tell my team how. As of now it's impossible
I havent touch product from the last two trucks. Still trying to finish from 3 trucks ago. Thankfully I've never been trained on a check lane so I don't need to do that

Anyone know why our system is so bad filling lows and outs. the on sales floor number is always wrong. I'm exfing the shiz out of my area
It isn't the best but it could be because of over/under pushing, guests putting unwanted items anywhere they want, theft, or even casepacks being sent to the wrong store. Or even product not being located in the back

Is everything in repacks off the truck supposed to show up as "Delivered 0 Days ago" or are we responsible for updating our counts when we get it? It's getting fuckin ridiculous to constantly get repacks where none of the stuff was marked as delivered.

Can someone please explain the logic of exf’ing lows and outs when there’s a good chance that merchandise is on your u-boat coming off the truck while you’re scanning?
There are two reasons. First, it gets older product out onto the sales floor before the newer product. Second, it frees up space in the backroom which is going to be important for any chance if maintaining a Ladderless Backroom.

This.
Gone are the days of being global.
The first time I worked for tarjay(2010-2016), I was encouraged to be global to the point it was easier to say what I couldn't do than what I could.
Since coming back in March, I'm thankful I was global. I can do what's thrown at me. But damn, the lack of cross training shows!

As much as I loathe these changes, I feel so validated that so many other stores are struggling! My GM and Leader have both been trying to manipulate my team into believing that it's all our own fault. They're obsessed with endcaps and zoning to the detriment of actually stocking. I am so sick of product going bad in the back because we're all zoning for hours, which just makes the holes more obvious. That's so much food wasted!

I haven't had a cleared AR in months, because I'm constantly working on previous trucks when the new trucks come in. I've had at least one full u-boat of deli left every day for over a year. It certainly doesn't help when the DC pushes a ludicrous amount of food that I don't have space for (in back or on the floor) and I don't have the time to stock anyway. Which means most of it ends up in the trash when it inevitably rots in the back. That's if it doesn't get destroyed in transit because the DC piled bags of potatoes on top of berries, put dairy products with shelf-stable products, or just sent product already rotting right off of the truck.

There's only two of us fully trained in OM and my store only just started training another TM to work in OM. Except my Leader keeps moving them to MD, so they haven't actually been trained in OM at all. Plus, they're only scheduling the two of us trained in OM 20-30 hours a week each (if that), so we almost never cross paths to plan and work together. Not to mention the two of us are the only two TMs in the entire Market Team who are trained to cashier, and we never have enough cashiers on the floor because of payroll, so we're always getting pulled to backup and help with front problems.

We didn't even have a consistent closer for all of first quarter; we were lucky to get one closer a week. We're only just now getting a closer some days, but it's never our busiest days or frozen days when we really, really need the extra hands. Even with closers, everything gets destroyed by the next day because the closer is only ever in the store until five or so usually. So I always come into an empty floor, a full cage, full QMOS bins, and at least one pallet from the previous day's truck.

We've had so many complaints in the past year. I've had many regulars even stop coming in; these are folks who came in weekly and bought hundreds of dollars worth of stuff who have disappeared. Every time the Suits come in they point all of this out and my Lead always points out the lack of people and time. But nothing changes, because the GM/HR are obsessed with payroll and yell at the Leads/Leaders to cut hours. Then they scream at us because sales are down, but if we try to explain why we get rebuked for "being negative" and "not getting back to brand." We cannot physically do 3-4 peoples' jobs in half of the time.

I just want to do a good job; I pride myself on my drive and work ethic. I liked working at Target before the modernization, even with the inherent problems of retail work. But now, even if they do manage to "iron out the wrinkles," I'm never going to be happy at Target again. All of this mess just proves to me that Target doesn't care about me or the guests. All this company cares about is money for the stockholders and trying to keep up with Amazon etc.

Last edited:
Back