MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

InboundGrunt

Spotbound and Down
Not sure if other stores have started this new process yet, but its working wonders now. Sort team is now 5-6 people who work 6-1:30pm and unload truck, and then push as much freight as they can until they leave. Weve been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and were getting to where theyre doing atleast 75% of the GM truck, although my store is a big grocery store. We call it the "Swat Team", although its basically a mini flow team. Its given the DBOs more time to actually get workload, brand, fill done now. Today my Chem/Pet/Paper guy didnt have to push a single thing off the truck and was able to get his revisions caught up. Tomorrow we start draining the back room with 1 to 1 pulls. It sounds like they may be rolling this out to everyone soon.
A few stores in my district have lowkey been trying to do this since the spring but the DTL keeps banging the "EVERYONE MUST HAVE A DESIGNATED AREA" drum and trying to snuff it out. Right now we're sending truck team home before or at 10 and most of the uboats just sit there all day with no one to work them.

If this becomes real, it would make my dreams come true. 6-1:30 guaranteed every truck would be 😍 😍 😍

Not sure if other stores have started this new process yet, but its working wonders now. Sort team is now 5-6 people who work 6-1:30pm and unload truck, and then push as much freight as they can until they leave. Weve been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and were getting to where theyre doing atleast 75% of the GM truck, although my store is a big grocery store. We call it the "Swat Team", although its basically a mini flow team. Its given the DBOs more time to actually get workload, brand, fill done now. Today my Chem/Pet/Paper guy didnt have to push a single thing off the truck and was able to get his revisions caught up. Tomorrow we start draining the back room with 1 to 1 pulls. It sounds like they may be rolling this out to everyone soon.
So - you have a flow team?

And DBO's are like the old TLs?

huh.

What's old is new again.

Gee, remember when being global was a good thing? :(
I think that's one of the reasons I'm not getting irreversibly screwed over on hours (yet). Because I can be placed in any area when I'm not doing presentation, I can (usually) switch tasks quickly, and I don't complain unless I have an alternate constructive suggestion to give. Mama can't afford to walk away when the family depends on her for medical/dental!

I'm also the last holdout for an expert in plano-related things. They know they can't lose me or our dumpster fire will literally explode.

A few stores in my district have lowkey been trying to do this since the spring but the DTL keeps banging the "EVERYONE MUST HAVE A DESIGNATED AREA" drum and trying to snuff it out. Right now we're sending truck team home before or at 10 and most of the uboats just sit there all day with no one to work them.

If this becomes real, it would make my dreams come true. 6-1:30 guaranteed every truck would be 😍 😍 😍
Yeah that's kinda how we were, sort team was 6-10 with a few hold overs for other areas, and trucks wouldn't be done. Now we're clean every day

Planosss

User friendly.
It's actually amusing to watch. Low hours in Q1 and Q2 caused about half of the people who were supposed to be the DBOs to quit. They've been trying to hire to replace them. But, the new hires are all basically kids who had no idea what they were signing up for, so they nope out quickly. That means that the store is now having to give crazy hours to the B team (those TMs who were previously not considered DBO material and were lucky to get 10 hours a week because they're slow and suck). I mean, they refused to give the chosen vets over 30 hours for months so now they have to give the B team more than that. Shit obviously isn't getting done. It's so bad we recently had a completely surprise visit from the DTL and all our BPs at 8am on a Saturday. It did not go well at all. It looked like the DTL could shoot lightning bolts out of her eyes at any second she was so pissed off at the state of the backroom.

So, it's bad. Really bad. But, the remaining vets and I have fun joking/bitching about it. There may or may not be a secret betting pool for when our SD (who I actually really like) gets fired.
I believe you man, I mean when a seasonaldude starts referring to itself as veteran, things are definitely off the rails..

We are NOT allowed ANY pallets on the salesfloor, ever. Been that way for us for awhile now. I visited another Target today and saw over 30 pallets blocking aisles ! And NOT one tm working off ANY of them. Like frogger for guests pushing a cart. What a mess ! Would have bought some clearance (that I know was sent off as salvage from my store), but couldn’t reach it cause of the huge pallet parked in front of it. Since price change hasn’t pulled that item that went salvage 5 weeks ago, I wonder how long that pallet has been there ?

My store Inbound team is useless they keep hiring hiring hiring and no one make the cut.
Freaking same. Of the few new hires that actually want to do inbound, zero have lasted. We're down to about 4-5 official inbound TMs.

So how have we been getting through this? By pulling DBOs from the floor and scheduling them as inbound. I'm sure we're not gonna feel the ramifications of that at all...

All of our inbound also work GM. Most are DBOs. Since they all start several hours before me they think I do nothing, even though I am there several hours after they leave so they think that I should do all of the reshop, finish anything that they don't for their area, back up cashier, pull their price change and mark it, and answer all calls for our "blocks" since they had to "do the truck" and only have "x" hours left to finish pushing it. I'm not feeling it.

Our DTL lives close to our store and comes in to shop all the time. Guess he made a surprise visit last night when things were looking really REALLY bad. Our SD had to come in on his weekend off to help put out the fire lol.
That's the rub for me. All these salaried people are telling me I can't have the hours to work yet they aren't picking up the slack. If you're salaried, you're never truly off. Maybe that's not PC or the legal definition.

The post I quoted said that DBOs at Target are paid better than assistant store managers at other stores who have equal responsibilities.

I seriously doubt that a DBO at Target is making $40k or more.

If A (hypothetic and probably not) full time DBO @ the new $15hr works 50 weeks at a full 40 hours they would make $30K

Marcellow

No and that’s final
Looks like the front will be perpetually hiring because from what I’ve heard from every cashier, almost all of them have been looking elsewhere for work or looking to transfer out.

Myself included, 4th quarter is coming and I’m not looking to be around for it.

Looks like the front will be perpetually hiring because from what I’ve heard from every cashier, almost all of them have been looking elsewhere for work or looking to transfer out.

Myself included, 4th quarter is coming and I’m not looking to be around for it.
Our front end is hiring for 4th quarter. But there's a core group that is experienced. We seem to have hit our stride with the end of GSAs, etc. The morale is better.

Bullseye01

The Box Chucker
Honestly, looking at the new modernization from a DBO standpoint, I have found some good things and some crappy things about it. The worst part for me is just running out of time at the end of my shift because I was pulled in other directions by leadership...but oh well. I did manage to get my pulls done yesterday and pushed Monday's truck except one vehicle(ended up helping the UPS guy load his truck with SFS)....so that took 20min, back stocking the 300 aisle with stuff people just left, that took about 20min; helped SFS with store picks, that took 15..so basically I'd have been done had it not been for the other stuff.

Supposedly, if we keep up with the 1 for 1's, then they will get smaller...at least that is what I heard. Monday's will usually be larger because of weekend sales. Another thing is if you only get 4hrs to do your area, then that is a no win situation to get everything done. You need at least 6 to be reasonable.

Sloth

Market
The biggest issue is that 141s will always be larger than autos, but there hasn't been increased payroll to make up for it. Stores all over the country are behind, especially GM, and corporate's response is to give GM Experts even more work to do.

Corporate complains about zoning, price change, and sets being behind, yet they just keep piling more things on our plates.

Honestly, looking at the new modernization from a DBO standpoint, I have found some good things and some crappy things about it. The worst part for me is just running out of time at the end of my shift because I was pulled in other directions by leadership...but oh well. I did manage to get my pulls done yesterday and pushed Monday's truck except one vehicle(ended up helping the UPS guy load his truck with SFS)....so that took 20min, back stocking the 300 aisle with stuff people just left, that took about 20min; helped SFS with store picks, that took 15..so basically I'd have been done had it not been for the other stuff.

Supposedly, if we keep up with the 1 for 1's, then they will get smaller...at least that is what I heard. Monday's will usually be larger because of weekend sales. Another thing is if you only get 4hrs to do your area, then that is a no win situation to get everything done. You need at least 6 to be reasonable.
Tell that to Market!

hee hee

: lol sob :

Bullseye01

The Box Chucker
We have 4 people in market and they seem to be doing pretty good, except the 1 for 1's. The only solution is leadership in any store and even higher up needs to see that they need more hours and manpower to accomplish it.