MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have to 100% agree with @REDcardJJ on this. She’s made her team self sufficient, which is the essence of modernization. No longer relies heavily on the sales floor TM to run a green work center. That in itself is being a team player, because, let’s face it, a day with no guest first calls is like a gift. “Backup cashier” exists in most retail places for a reason. A quick google will show you the negative effects long lines or wait times will have on a business. It’s costly. Think about how many times a guest said “oh it’s okay I’ll just get it at blah blah blah,” just because you needed a minute or two to track down the product they were asking for. That’s what happens when people don’t want to wait “too long” at checkout, except they leave their entire cart... full of missed sales. It adds up. Target wants a fast checkout just like every other place does. Yes I know that being in stock is also putting the guest first, but when that guest is ready to leave, that’s all the matters to them. Seems to be human nature. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have to 100% agree with @REDcardJJ on this. She’s made her team self sufficient, which is the essence of modernization. No longer relies heavily on the sales floor TM to run a green work center. That in itself is being a team player, because, let’s face it, a day with no guest first calls is like a gift. “Backup cashier” exists in most retail places for a reason. A quick google will show you the negative effects long lines or wait times will have on a business. It’s costly. Think about how many times a guest said “oh it’s okay I’ll just get it at blah blah blah,” just because you needed a minute or two to track down the product they were asking for. That’s what happens when people don’t want to wait “too long” at checkout, except they leave their entire cart... full of missed sales. It adds up. Target wants a fast checkout just like every other place does. Yes I know that being in stock is also putting the guest first, but when that guest is ready to leave, that’s all the matters to them. Seems to be human nature. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah. I kind of hate to agree with @REDcardJJ on principle, but she is right about this one. The front end being self-sufficient is a gift to the whole store and it can't happen if their hours are cannibalized for other work centers. GM really does need to figure out how to get their shit done. If there is no way to do it with the hours given, then the SD needs to grow a pair and explain to the DSD why he needs more hours.

let's go back and see what JJ actually said. i'm bringing out the fucking receipts:

i posted that the Starbucks team will backup cashier like anyone else when they have the coverage to do so and the Starbucks business can support losing a barista for 15 minutes. i do that with the support of the Food Service TL and the ETL-Food Sales.

there wouldn't be staffing problems if GM would stick to their allocated payroll. it's not my job to make GM processes work. it's not my job to sacrifice my payroll to make GM processes work. it's my job to support the guest experience by maintaining a team of guest advocates who focus on the guest. it's weird how when i get 100% of the payroll i'm allocated in the weekly scheduling dashboard, i don't need to call for backup cashiers! it's not my fault that GM can't make their payroll allocation work for them.

i don't really get why you're so obsessed with trying to prove me wrong, but you're doing a pretty shit job at it, tessa.
tenor.gif

Lol it’s not your job but the entire store is one team. The fact that you’re repeatedly glossing over this says one of two things to me if not both...

1) You’re selfish, shortsighted and incompetent.

And or...

2) Target HQ really has done a number on store teams to act completely selfishly with no regard for other work centers.

Chances are strong if you actually worked GM you would have an appreciation for why you’re coming off so bitchy.

Just because Target HQ may properly determine necessary payroll hours to the front does not mean they are doing it in the entire store. You work for a Target store. You don’t work for the front end.

If you have a problem with the fact that HQ does not properly allocate hours for GM, or you don’t understand this and just believe it’s inadequate training and crappy leadership.. then leave.

You aren’t God’s gift to Target stores and you’re working in a department that is literally 20x easier than the one you’re bitching about.

Lol it’s not your job but the entire store is one team. The fact that you’re repeatedly glossing over this says one of two things to me if not both...

And or...

2) Target HQ really has done a number on store teams to act completely selfishly with no regard for other work centers.

Chances are strong if you actually worked GM you would have an appreciation for why you’re coming off so bitchy.

Just because Target HQ may properly determine necessary payroll hours to the front does not mean they are doing it in the entire store. You work for a Target store. You don’t work for the front end.

If you have a problem with the fact that HQ does not properly allocate hours for GM, or you don’t understand this and just believe it’s inadequate training and crappy leadership.. then leave.

You aren’t God’s gift to Target stores and you’re working in a department that is literally 20x easier than the one you’re bitching about.

that’s a two way street, buddy. how about this: if YOU have a problem with the fact that HQ doesn’t properly allocate hours for GM, then leave.

your argument literally makes no sense. i should quit my job... because i’m getting all of my payroll now? lol okay. i’m not god’s gift to Target, but GM isn’t entitled to my payroll. sorry buddy.

thank you, next.

that’s a two way street, buddy. how about this: if YOU have a problem with the fact that HQ doesn’t properly allocate hours for GM, then leave.

your argument literally makes no sense. i should quit my job... because i’m getting all of my payroll now? lol okay. i’m not god’s gift to Target, but GM isn’t entitled to my payroll. sorry buddy.

thank you, next.

My payroll? You’re still ignoring that HQ is not properly staffing GM.

If HQ randomly decided it takes a total of 100 hours weekly to run the front, that doesn’t mean they’d be right. Arbitrarily assigned hours in one area working out doesn’t mean arbitrarily assigned hours in another area will work out. Pull your head out of your ass.

Go work in GM for two weeks otherwise keep your ignorant mouth shut because you haven’t the faintest idea what the fuck you’re talking about and you’re posting and walking around with the most incredibly selfish narrow minded view of things. Your ignorance is so overwhelming that it’s actually physically painful to me.

Let me really simplify this for you and ridiculously exaggerate for illustrative purposes... this is how you’re coming off to people who aren’t operating in the dark here... let’s say your store gets 2000 hours a week and they decided 1900 should go to the front... you’re representing yourself as basically saying “not my fault they can’t get their work done! It’s funny how when I actually get my 1900 hours I can get my workload done and those people can’t get it done with their hours! Not my problem!!! I only care about me!!”

Now do you see? Even in the slightest? No, probably not...

If you had even the slightest fucking clue what their workload is like, you would shut your fucking mouth.

Last edited:
My payroll? You’re still ignoring that HQ is not properly staffing GM.

If HQ randomly decided it takes a total of 100 hours weekly to run the front, that doesn’t mean they’d be right. Arbitrarily assigned hours in one area working out doesn’t mean arbitrarily assigned hours in another area will work out. Pull your head out of your ass.

Go work in GM for two weeks otherwise keep your ignorant mouth shut because you haven’t the faintest idea what the fuck you’re talking about and you’re posting and walking around with the most incredibly selfish narrow minded view of things. Your ignorance is so overwhelming that it’s actually physically painful to me.

Let me really simplify this for you and ridiculously exaggerate for illustrative purposes... this is how you’re coming off to people who aren’t operating in the dark here... let’s say your store gets 2000 hours a week and they decided 1900 should go to the front... you’re representing yourself as basically saying “not my fault they can’t get their work done! It’s funny how when I actually get my 1900 hours I can get my workload done and those people can’t get it done with their hours! Not my problem!!! I only care about me!!”

Now do you see? Even in the slightest? No, probably not...

If you had even the slightest fucking clue what their workload is like, you would shut your fucking mouth.
Yeah. I kind of hate to agree with @REDcardJJ on principle, but she is right about this one. The front end being self-sufficient is a gift to the whole store and it can't happen if their hours are cannibalized for other work centers. GM really does need to figure out how to get their shit done. If there is no way to do it with the hours given, then the SD needs to grow a pair and explain to the DSD why he needs more hours.
And what then when the dsd says there isn't any? Most don't like feedback or hearing from the frontline the actual problems. GM can get their shit done. Uboats super sorting everything makes sense and can truly work. Problem is it needs to be staffed correctly, and if it isn't the wheels fall off and everything else gets behind quickly. I talked, shown, proven that there wasn't enough payroll and the store squeezed as much payroll as it could into the gm and we still couldn't schedule the way the Bible told us too. Who gets the blame? The leaders and the assumption that people aren't working hard enough...such superficial and simple minded thinking. It's getting behind and people taking shortcuts through processes that should be in place that make a store efficient and profitable in the long run

I don’t think anyone is arguing that the front end isn’t important, or that backup should never be necessary. The front end also shouldn’t feel guilty for receiving adequate payroll.

But if my store was anything to go by, GM is woefully lacking in payroll. Most GM TM’s would be fine going up for backup if they felt like they had time to spare, and weren’t coached by ETLs for not getting workload done, despite having to provide backup or help bring in carts, etc. Targets expectations are based on best case scenario. (Just ask anyone in grocery). GM definitely has more workload in a given shift than a cashier does, HOWEVER that does not mean the front end is any less important, especially to the guest. The issue is payroll, not GM being unable to just flip a switch and get their act together.

And what then when the dsd says there isn't any? Most don't like feedback or hearing from the frontline the actual problems. GM can get their shit done. Uboats super sorting everything makes sense and can truly work. Problem is it needs to be staffed correctly, and if it isn't the wheels fall off and everything else gets behind quickly. I talked, shown, proven that there wasn't enough payroll and the store squeezed as much payroll as it could into the gm and we still couldn't schedule the way the Bible told us too. Who gets the blame? The leaders and the assumption that people aren't working hard enough...such superficial and simple minded thinking. It's getting behind and people taking shortcuts through processes that should be in place that make a store efficient and profitable in the long run

Bingo.

It’s both. Not enough hours in GM in some (maybe most) cases AND some cases, we as GM need to get our shit together. Sorry guys but front end is just not the right work center to siphon payroll from. But hey it’s slow or front lanes is over staffed for a while? Yeah send a cashier to help push or do go backs or even zone. But the experience at the front end or checkout can be the difference in life or death for us brick and mortar/physical retail players. Look it up. It’s the priority for a reason.

It’s both. Not enough hours in GM in some (maybe most) cases AND some cases, we as GM need to get our shit together. Sorry guys but front end is just not the right work center to siphon payroll from. But hey it’s slow or front lanes is over staffed for a while? Yeah send a cashier to help push or do go backs or even zone. But the experience at the front end or checkout can be the difference in life or death for us brick and mortar/physical retail players. Look it up. It’s the priority for a reason.
Yep. I’ll avoid going to a store even if I know they have what I’m looking for if I expect the checkout experience to be awful. I’ll order it on amazon instead.

What was frustrating for me was seeing our best sales floor TMs who would always go the extra mile and help out other work centers become demotivated from not having realistic timeframes and feeling like they were failing, and then didn’t want to go up for backup, cover an electronics break, etc. All because they were being chewed out as if they somehow went from a great asset to a lazy POS in an ETLs eyes conveniently once modernization started. Then they jump ship for greener pastures and are just written off as “not bought in enough”.

Like everything else this is likely ASANTS. I know that at my store GM has made a lot of changes in the last month or so that have improved how much they are getting done. They are, however, taking hours from the front and that's not resulting in anything good for the guest experience at the front. Last week I went shopping there on my day off at a non-peak time. There were a grand total of 3 carts in the well. The lines were so excessively long that I could hear our GM1 TL of all people screaming over the walkie for a couple of backups. I had to wait so long to checkout myself that I was thinking of just walking out and I could tell from the several abandoned carts near the lanes that some guests had definitely done so. I stopped by the desk and instinctively asked the TM there who had called out only to be told that no one had, the front was just underscheduled again. It was not a pleasant shopping experience. And, I now understand why we get guests who complain about it nearly everyday.

I feel like everyone is forgetting the absolute payroll suck that is ship from store.

Ship from store takes hours from both the front end AND GM because it's such a disaster of a process.

The problem is that there isn’t enough payroll to keep it all going. You have to cut someone or it’s going to get behind. The issue ends up being that you can only keep GM that low for that long for a few weeks before you have a Fire Marshall issue on your hands... at least if you cut from the lanes it will cause issues initially, but eventually the guests should get the hint that we are an awful shopping experience and stop shopping there, dropping our sales and giving us time to catch up!

And or...

Modernization split up the store. It is no longer “one team one dream”. It’s everyone fend for themselves.

I feel like everyone is forgetting the absolute payroll suck that is ship from store.

Ship from store takes hours from both the front end AND GM because it's such a disaster of a process.
Nah. My team is CONSISTENTLY pulled to help GM out. Go push the line, do the backroom audit, go back up, go backstock the mess created by Inbound and GM. SFS isn’t done? Don’t care, go push because we have a 2500 piece truck and I refuse to hold the team RESPONSIBLE for the unload and push accountable for not getting it done on time.

Modernization split up the store. It is no longer “one team one dream”. It’s everyone fend for themselves.

That's pretty sad. What is all of this about, anyways? Trying to reduce payroll hours so they can hit the $15 an hour mark? lol... Steinhaffel started digging the grave, I'm afraid Cornell will start to lower the coffin. It may take years to fully bury it, but who is next to further the ceremony along?

it's only been about three weeks since the DSD forced the SD to stop underposting the front end but i'm already seeing major improvements. me, my peer, and my ETL have all been able to focus on developing the team and coaching for results. between the three of us leaders at the front end, we haven't called a single backup cashier. if it gets a little busy, we'll just hop on for a bit and work the line down.
I wish I had you at my store. Today I heard the SETL call for backup just as I was heading to the front to leave. What did I see? The TL flitting about and two GAs standing at Guest Services doing nothing, while a Style TM had to stop her tasking to jump on a register. :rolleyes:

here is the end all: Logistics eats hours. or workload is determined by what comes off that truck, not what is projected to come off that truck but by what is actually on that beast when it docks. it is not some set thing it will and can change. did the loaders at the DC take the brown acid? well then guess what it will take longer. Is it near one of the major seasons (Christmas, Halloween and the like) those unloads can get painful. you take up the steel with all your fancy modernization well more pain. get rid of the Backroom team and it associated leads including the ETL well hold on fellas this ride is going down hill in a dumpster that is on fire with a bunch of rabid weasels with anger issues and we are all in it for the ride to the bottom.

Cutting the LOG team was the worst idea to come out of the backside of Mr Pepsi in a long time.

in short target does not get logistics and needs to schedule dedicated hours to complete those tasks by a trained team of individuals able to operate semi independently. to do less is to court disaster

Couldn’t have said it any better

Back