MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
First: Following this thread has had me so worked up and nervous wondering what is the future for my position and my store overall.
Huge Thank you to my STL today for putting my mind at ease. The information I received was presented as a positive change for both me personally and as a whole for operations within our store. I am really sorry that modernization is not working in some stores but I have confidence that we can do it. ok, we havn’t actually started yet so i’ll Have to keep you posted if I was wrong, but I really like what I heard.

Positives:
1. We each have an AREA of the store instead of a PROCESS - upside is : no more fighting between teams “cause you cut corners, my job is harder”
2. No more annoying lazy GSA’s a.k.a. Cashiers with Attitude
3. No more ‘only 1 LOD’ available - there will be a leader for every area - more leaders available with answers
4. End of year BONUS - not going to miss out on that.
5. TL will no longer be just overworked tm’s - we can truly lead to effect results - not Work AND try to lead.
6. Increase in TL head count for us.
7. Everyone has to cashier - no special pass exceptions for specialty teams ( I mean you : inbound/Plano/pricing TM - YOU are no longer “special” ) - go backup !

Negatives:
1. Someone has to close 5 nights a week - have to say i’m Surprised to read some don’t see this as a big yuck. Better you than me.
2. We miss supper with the family if we have 10-6:30 shifts. I see this as an increasing trend that is leading to greater breakdown of the close family unit.
And eating later in the evening contributing to obesity (8-4 great, 9-5 manageable, 10-6 the latest that is reasonable)

Now to get everyone mad at me, but i’m Going to say it :
Please sortop whining and come up with solutions and start sharing how to make this work !
I want to get this par-tay started with fully trained tm’s, strong routines and firm expectations ! (Monday)
This is the expectations for all stores.. only problem is reality bites. My store is running at maybe 50% self sufficiency with grocery and priority 1 areas holding their own. When you get into style/and priority 2 areas it's a mess, but most of that has been due to poor team leaders and getting behind. So now our other areas are having to support to catch them up..

First: Following this thread has had me so worked up and nervous wondering what is the future for my position and my store overall.
Huge Thank you to my STL today for putting my mind at ease. The information I received was presented as a positive change for both me personally and as a whole for operations within our store. I am really sorry that modernization is not working in some stores but I have confidence that we can do it. ok, we havn’t actually started yet so i’ll Have to keep you posted if I was wrong, but I really like what I heard.

Positives:
1. We each have an AREA of the store instead of a PROCESS - upside is : no more fighting between teams “cause you cut corners, my job is harder”
3. No more ‘only 1 LOD’ available - there will be a leader for every area - more leaders available with answers
5. TL will no longer be just overworked tm’s - we can truly lead to effect results - not Work AND try to lead.
7. Everyone has to cashier - no special pass exceptions for specialty teams ( I mean you : inbound/Plano/pricing TM - YOU are no longer “special” ) - go backup !

Negatives:
1. Someone has to close 5 nights a week - have to say i’m Surprised to read some don’t see this as a big yuck. Better you than me.
2. We miss supper with the family if we have 10-6:30 shifts. I see this as an increasing trend that is leading to greater breakdown of the close family unit.
And eating later in the evening contributing to obesity (8-4 great, 9-5 manageable, 10-6 the latest that is reasonable)

Please stop whining and come up with solutions and start sharing how to make this work !
I want to get this par-tay started with fully trained tm’s, strong routines and firm expectations ! (Monday)
It does sound great and really could work. TSS is a great idea that truly can work.

Problem: PAYROLL. 50-60 hours worth of push each truck and about 30 hours scheduled per truck. Why? Store literally can't afford it to even staff it right to what is truly needed. The truck process is the foundation to everything in the store. If Target doesn't want to give stores what is truly needed to make it work at ALL stores then I'm not sorry for being negative about all the "changes". You can't get your truck worked? You can't do anything else. SFS can't operate, floor is empty you all know it. The loss in sales is far greater than giving stores some extra payroll to get some basic shit done.
For those that have figured it out, congrats.

For now i’m Trusting our STL to write a schedule that works, allocating hours where they are needed to get the work done. So far so good, areas that have needed hours have always been given them (sometimes, flex, sometimes pricing, sometimes truck, backroom, Plano ) . Fortunately, our STL has made decisions that fix problems, early, before they are out of control.

Not at my store. Truck team members do not pull autos, do not zone, barely backstocks their freight, barely helps guests, not all are cashier trained, etc. I agree that cashiers are not expected to help once backup is over but sometimes they are sent out to push abandons and once in a while help zone areas close to the check lanes.

Only a handful of TM's know how to jump into flex and none of them are truck team members.

At my store the salesfloor team members are expected to push autos and truck freight that didn't get done so I guess ASANTS but corporate expects all stores to be the same, go figure!
Well they will come April 1 lol

Well, all starbucks supers in my district were just given Starbucks, deli, bakery, and cafe..
With the role of a TL becoming supervisory and not task oriented, this could work. Starbucks TL won’t need to spend time over there. They’ll need to make sure the team keeps up on routines and the orders etc and focus on food safety

Sorry that came out wrong

so you think they will say yes to demotion or would they fire
What’s this availability look like? What’s your current role? How’s your performance? What’s your position on the favoritism scale? This could go one of many ways

Today’s panic in our store is this: one of the ETL’s states that going forward, all TM’s are only to be scheduled in their coded/assigned workcenters. No more picking up shifts in other areas even if you are cross trained. I was given a list of TM’s that were spoken to and had chosen their primary workcenters to recode. So, no more picking up a cashier shift if you’re on the sales floor etc. You can only work in your workcenters/areas NO EXCEPTIONS. Is this my STL not understanding the rollout or is it happening in all stores? I have a feeling if this is true, we’re going to have major turnover from this. We have a lot of TM’s currently picking up shifts in other workcenters to get/keep benefits.

It could be either or at this point, it really depends on how good you are with store management, what your store is like (busy, enough room for tms, etc).

You can only work in your workcenters/areas NO EXCEPTIONS

You know how when you cut your forehead or your foot it's like a mass exodus of blood leaving the body? I imagine that's what's going to happen with Target with this nonsense continuing to happen.

Of course people want to pick up more shifts...but then they do this, presumably to cut benefits. Then they'll be shocked when the TMs freshly out of benefits leave!

Positives:

Negatives:

Please stop whining and come up with solutions and start sharing how to make this work !
I was told most of the same crap when we started the pilot. I have never had to work so hard as a TL I'm my entire career. Hours every month go down yet we have to keep throwing hours at the truck everyday to finish. This doesn't even include all the other expectations of my team only working the truck. With proper hours any process can work. Unfortunately most of my stores good people quit or are quiting having to work three 5 hour shifts a week. It's not enough for anyone to live on. Plus no benefits. Target has always been good with lip service. They tell you the fairytale of modernization only to deliver a nightmare. Everything looks great on paper, Target's problem has always been the implementation of the idea and the support of it.

What i’m Saying is they are welcome here, let’s help each other. I’m listening.
Help each other with ideas are pointless when we are not allowed to discuss them at work due to fear of being fired. It's looked at as resistance to the new process to question it or even offer common sense solutions to help the process. The executioner is a new role that wasn't covered in the April 1st role out.

So a store in my area will have consumables take over Food Services and Starbucks. Anyone heard of this with mordernization?

That means their SBUX is now low volume. The store I took over was that way (Consumables/Food Service/SBUX.) TL was out for a while and they wanted someone who knew SBUX well because they were having a lot of issues. District approved to “hire” (I was benched for 6 months) me, even though it put the store over headcount. Because of the turnaround my team and I managed to pull of we made the cut to have a dedicated Food Service TL.

Today’s panic in our store is this: one of the ETL’s states that going forward, all TM’s are only to be scheduled in their coded/assigned workcenters. No more picking up shifts in other areas even if you are cross trained. I was given a list of TM’s that were spoken to and had chosen their primary workcenters to recode. So, no more picking up a cashier shift if you’re on the sales floor etc. You can only work in your workcenters/areas NO EXCEPTIONS. Is this my STL not understanding the rollout or is it happening in all stores? I have a feeling if this is true, we’re going to have major turnover from this. We have a lot of TM’s currently picking up shifts in other workcenters to get/keep benefits.
Seems like only your store. We would always encourage TMs to pick up cashier shifts or any department they know what they’re doing.

With the role of a TL becoming supervisory and not task oriented, this could work. Starbucks TL won’t need to spend time over there. They’ll need to make sure the team keeps up on routines and the orders etc and focus on food safety
This is the plan and I'm ok with it to a point.
We will see where the payroll falls and if I'm given hours to be a team lead vs a team member.

This is the plan and I'm ok with it to a point.
We will see where the payroll falls and if I'm given hours to be a team lead vs a team member.
You're definitely going to end up as just a TM who has a shift in several different areas. If Target gives you enough payroll to lead, your store will cut it so you can't.

Back