MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Current TLs are guaranteed 32 hours as per their job offers, at least that’s how it was when I took my role in late 2017, which I believe are legally considered a contract. Anyone getting less than that should remind their ETL, ETL HR, and STL about it and if blown off, ask the HRBP and then the hotline.

That would be a mostly unenforceable "contract." Unless you've had a labor attorney personally negotiate it for you or happen to have a union contract, employment contracts are mostly worthless. If you were promised 32 hours when hired, good luck enforcing that in court. It's not happening. You might get more hours by going higher up the chain, but you've just marked yourself for termination being performanced out.

Corporate policy might be that TLs get 32 hours, but corporate policies are not enforceable in court.

That would be a mostly unenforceable "contract." Unless you've had a labor attorney personally negotiate it for you or happen to have a union contract, employment contracts are mostly worthless. If you were promised 32 hours when hired, good luck enforcing that in court. It's not happening. You might get more hours by going higher up the chain, but you've just marked yourself for termination being performanced out.

Corporate policy might be that TLs get 32 hours, but corporate policies are not enforceable in court.
Target is lawsuit adverse, at least in my store/district, all it would take is a reminder that it is documented common knowledge that TLs are assured 32 hours a week, and that fact and it’s inclusion on HR guidelines would easily corroborate a verbal and written contract guaranteeing 32 hours in a legal setting, and the problem would be solved. Of course, I’d sprinkle in a warning that retaliation could present them with a new problem, and boom. You’re immune to being performanced out. Lol now, you can bet your ass you’ll never get a minute more than 32 hours a week, and will be coached and CCA’d if you exceed that by a minute after they inevitably give you the clear instruction that you are not to extend shifts at all, and you’ll get scheduled shitty shifts, and have less payroll during them or have poor performing TMs scheduled with you, etc etc.

I’d be shocked if the HRBP blew off that complaint, though.

For every tl saying it's working at their store there are DOZENS saying it's not. Most stores will not work like this because the tl aren't willing to fight for it or stay working instead of deligating to get it in place. And the stl isn't giving shifts over 4.5hrs to just about anyone.

Case in point. This week I have two shifts at 8hrs each mon/tues. Plano then Plano/ signing. No hours are being given for ad prep but I'm expected to get it done. Even if I'm not the the days it gets delivered. 🙄
Next week I've got a full 40, two hours signing every day then Plano. Doesn't even make sense.
Meanwhile - as the quote-y quotes go, my TL keeps telling me, "Look, it's working at all the other stores." I work at being a team player in softlines, but when 1/3 of my hours are consumed by operator duty, serving guests needs and cashiering, how the hell am I supposed to push/zone and get stray for ALL of Ready to Wear?

Edited to add - With 30% fewer hours. Which we were told in a huddle to "be happy we have a job."

Last edited:
Target is lawsuit adverse, at least in my store/district, all it would take is a reminder that it is documented common knowledge that TLs are assured 32 hours a week, and that fact and it’s inclusion on HR guidelines would easily corroborate a verbal and written contract guaranteeing 32 hours in a legal setting, and the problem would be solved. Of course, I’d sprinkle in a warning that retaliation could present them with a new problem, and boom. You’re immune to being performanced out. Lol now, you can bet your ass you’ll never get a minute more than 32 hours a week, and will be coached and CCA’d if you exceed that by a minute after they inevitably give you the clear instruction that you are not to extend shifts at all, and you’ll get scheduled shitty shifts, and have less payroll during them or have poor performing TMs scheduled with you, etc etc.

I’d be shocked if the HRBP blew off that complaint, though.

What is "documented common knowledge?" That sounds like such double talk.

all it would take is a reminder that it is documented common knowledge that TLs are assured 32 hours a week, and that fact and it’s inclusion on HR guidelines would easily corroborate a verbal and written contract guaranteeing 32 hours in a legal setting,

Oh my Bullseye, no. First, all contracts are verbal. Some are reduced to writing. Others are oral. You need to look up the Statute of Frauds. Generally speaking, with come very minor variations between states, an oral employment contract must be for a fixed term of less than one year to be enforceable in court. Any oral "contract" longer than that is unenforceable and you are an at will employee for legal purposes. This is extremely well settled law that goes all the way back to English common law before the revolution.

Target's HR policies about this have nothing to do with being lawsuit adverse. They are about keeping unemployment insurance premiums low.

Oh my Bullseye, no. First, all contracts are verbal. Some are reduced to writing. Others are oral. You need to look up the Statute of Frauds. Generally speaking, with come very minor variations between states, an oral employment contract must be for a fixed term of less than one year to be enforceable in court. Any oral "contract" longer than that is unenforceable and you are an at will employee for legal purposes. This is extremely well settled law that goes all the way back to English common law before the revolution.

Target's HR policies about this have nothing to do with being lawsuit adverse. They are about keeping unemployment insurance premiums low.
😩

What is "documented common knowledge?" That sounds like such double talk.
Documented as in not hard to find references to it.

Know guys all know the most common type of ETL at target; easily flustered but will use every ounce of their being not to show it, susceptible to creeping self doubt if faced with the prospect of actually getting in trouble, they’ve heard about ‘this one time’ when a TM stuck it to an ETL and succeeded and all it’ll take is the right TM to say the right thing to have them afraid they’ll be the next cautionary tale 😂😂

I guess since I'm a Reciever. Sorry, *ahem, Reverse Logistics Expert. The changes haven't really affected me at all. If anything they've made my job easier.

hqdefault.jpg

Talked to one of my GM TLs last night. She said it's going to get really rough. Can't wait to be off 2 days and come back wednesday!
I’m not sure if this question has been asked yet, or answered. How does modernization effect development? Specifically, how does it affect TM’s/GSA’s who are on the bench to be TL? Would those said people be placed in any additional roles added to stores based on store needs, or will they be told “oh yeah no sorry not gonna happen?”

If every ETL/TL is expected to be in the meeting on Monday, who is going to run the store operations, answer LOD calls, etc? Normally they would have a TL do it so they can have their meeting in peace..but what happens when there are no TL’s to cover bc of the meeting? Would they have the opening GSA do it?

I’m not sure if this question has been asked yet, or answered. How does modernization effect development? Specifically, how does it affect TM’s/GSA’s who are on the bench to be TL? Would those said people be placed in any additional roles added to stores based on store needs, or will they be told “oh yeah no sorry not gonna happen?”
I’d imagine they’d still want to have a talent pipeline set up in case any current TL’s transfer, move up or demote. I think the opportunity will still be there but it will be a lot more difficult to move up, especially if your store’s team lead count is going down. Closing expert sounds like a good role for a GSA/TM who wants to tackle more responsibility and move up in the future.

If every ETL/TL is expected to be in the meeting on Monday, who is going to run the store operations, answer LOD calls, etc? Normally they would have a TL do it so they can have their meeting in peace..but what happens when there are no TL’s to cover bc of the meeting? Would they have the opening GSA do it?
I think there are two meetings - one for TLs, one for ETLs, which isn’t a rare thing to happen on Mondays. And even if a store does one meeting (like at small format stores - we don’t have ETLs), people will keep their walkies on.

Well after many years as a POG TL I was just given the news. I will be shifting to Service and Engagement TL end of April, early May. POG TL doesn’t exist anymore and my team will report to the leader who has stuff set that week.

Well after many years as a POG TL I was just given the news. I will be shifting to Service and Engagement TL end of April, early May. POG TL doesn’t exist anymore and my team will report to the leader who has stuff set that week.

I see this as a huge mistake. Who walks the adjacencies for footage? You sometimes have to check weeks out to get changes. Just yuck.

I agree, I don’t see this as good. No one person watches over POG or pricing anymore. The remaining leaders are expected to, gulp, work together. Lol. This won’t end well.

I'm actually excited to see how it goes. I'm suddenly feeling stupider by the second. I say that because, as the person on the pog team with the most experience, I think they may rely on me to put out fires. Fuck that. I don't know anything. Reverse? What's that? What's the class number for displays
... I don't know .... 69 I guess.

My store put strong TMs on during the meeting. A bench GSA in the front, a bench hardlines candidate running the floor, and good coverage on the floor. We 'll be fine.

Back