MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Work was so much easier and went so much faster when they realized some people just aren't a good fit for sales floor or cashiering. Now everyone has to be a cashier...

And they're still jerking work start time around. It's getting plain stupid--7, 9, 11, then 10...when does it end?

I wish it was like it was when I started -- I went in at the same time, did generally the same job, in the same way. Now it's different from day to day--not that I work more than 1 day a week anyway. People only get extra days if someone else calls off in advance.

Diversity isn’t about hiring people with different skill sets. It’s about hiring people with different backgrounds (age, gender, race, religion, sexuality...) who can do the job. Target has no obligation to hire people who can’t do the job.
Isn't this literally why anti-discrimination laws exist?

Life lesson, if your mad target screwed you over, leave. Don't be surprised if another company does the same though. It's not just target but since you work there it's obviously amplified. Target doesn't owe anyone anything I mean they pay by the hour and you got a check. It may suck but hanging around bitching about why can't we go back to this way or that way isn't helping anyone especially yourself. People who struggle with social skills need to realize target does not have the luxury to wait till your therapist has a break through. Plenty of jobs out there where you will never have to speak with anyone. Not to be throwing shade at anyone but hanging out at Target will only result in one thing... lost time you will never get back when you could be forwarding an actual career not a part time job that will get you 20 hours max. Do something for yourself don't expect target or anyone to do it for you.

Life lesson, if your mad target screwed you over, leave. Don't be surprised if another company does the same though. It's not just target but since you work there it's obviously amplified. Target doesn't owe anyone anything I mean they pay by the hour and you got a check. It may suck but hanging around bitching about why can't we go back to this way or that way isn't helping anyone especially yourself. People who struggle with social skills need to realize target does not have the luxury to wait till your therapist has a break through. Plenty of jobs out there where you will never have to speak with anyone. Not to be throwing shade at anyone but hanging out at Target will only result in one thing... lost time you will never get back when you could be forwarding an actual career not a part time job that will get you 20 hours max. Do something for yourself don't expect target or anyone to do it for you.

I agree with this. The issue is .... why isn't this being said by Target? Hmmm. Could it ge they want to keep their carefully crafted .... But we care, hipster PR image .... intact.

I have no issue with honesty and frankness. I have an issue with double talk and beating around the bush. If I'm only going to get 20 hours tell me. Especially tell me if you're going to waste time bringing into your office for a 1 on 1.

The 5 Steps are to be done first thing before any other tasks. They are:

5 Steps:
1. Zone & EXF as you go
2. System Audit
3. Pull batches
4. Push batches
5. Backstock whatever was collected or wouldn't go out.

Only after the 5 Steps have been completed can the truck push begin. After the truck has been pushed and backstocked, a manual audit is done of outs by the mid- (if we have one) or, more likely, the closer. Somewhere fit in pricing, revisions, POGs, RFID, reshop, and more backstock.

BUT, before any of the above, guest engagement!
Wait, what department is supposed to be in charge of RFID? Also, whats the goal % for RFID supposed to be?

The problem is the old way worked. Much. Better. My social skills are fine. My issue was with the sloppy schedule, training, equipment accessibility and poor communication. Target held me to a standard. Don’t get upset if I hold them to one. Leave Target, absolutely. But don’t criticize the criticism. It’s well deserved.

I agree with this. The issue is .... why isn't this being said by Target? Hmmm. Could it ge they want to keep their carefully crafted .... But we care, hipster PR image .... intact.

I have no issue with honesty and frankness. I have an issue with double talk and beating around the bush. If I'm only going to get 20 hours tell me. Especially tell me if you're going to waste time bringing into your office for a 1 on 1.
True but if you think back to when you started. Some people years, others months... You've been lied to probably on a consistent basis but we just become complacent or maybe put blind trust in a huge corporate entity only to realize the only person they truly care about is the stock holder. We tend to value our co-workers enough to put up with crap and while you may keep some great friends at work, what's your life going look like in 5 years hoping target hops in the Delorean. Control the things you can.

The problem is the old way worked. Much. Better. My social skills are fine. My issue was with the sloppy schedule, training, equipment accessibility and poor communication. Target held me to a standard. Don’t get upset if I hold them to one. Leave Target, absolutely. But don’t criticize the criticism. It’s well deserved.
It's fine to criticize but people are literally wanting target to go back or hanging on to a job with 5 hours a week. It's not gonna happen and the hours have left the chat. Target will continue to make decisions. One day they will make another one and it will make modernization look amazing. People will bitch that that process worked also but now they wanna do this new thing. Anytime money if the number one reason a company makes changes your damn sure the first to suffer will be the ground level employees. This will never change. So you have to either shit(promote to a higher position) or get off the toilet( find a better job)

or get off the toilet( find a better job)

To quote It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia...

Why don't I strap on my job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into Jobland where jobs grow on jobbies?

Those of us with sensory issues/other problems can't so easily get another job. I've been applying everywhere, and nowhere will have me that I've applied to so far.

To quote It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia...

Why don't I strap on my job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into Jobland where jobs grow on jobbies?

Those of us with sensory issues/other problems can't so easily get another job. I've been applying everywhere, and nowhere will have me that I've applied to so far.
True but once again that's not targets fault that you have sensory issues. In a way they gave you more of a opportunity than anyone else has to grow as a person.

My STL kindly told me that part of the new process is, instead of parking my uboat somewhere out of the way at the end of the aisle I'm working on, opening ten thousand things in plastic and putting them in a small repack, and then taking that small repack with me into the aisle to stock, I should have the uboat by my side, blocking half the aisle while I sort through every repack because zone 2 covers 18 different aisles at my store and nothing is super sorted. How is that better than my method?? Ugh.

Having a uboat at the end of an aisle near the back wall = Too many footsteps.
Having the uboat at the end of an aisle on the endcap = You are blocking the entrance to either 1 or 2 aisles.
Having the uboat next to you by your side = You only block 2 sections on an aisle and can move it if a guest needs to reach for something behind it.

Having a uboat at the end of an aisle near the back wall = Too many footsteps.
Having the uboat at the end of an aisle on the endcap = You are blocking the entrance to either 1 or 2 aisles.
Having the uboat next to you by your side = You only block 2 sections on an aisle and can move it if a guest needs to reach for something behind it.

It takes far more time to shuffle the Uboat around to prevent disrupting guests than it does to walk a few steps while breaking down your box, but then again this was designed by people who have never actually done this.

True but once again that's not targets fault that you have sensory issues. In a way they gave you more of a opportunity than anyone else has to grow as a person.

Been watching this thread for a while and it is beginning to piss me off.

No, it is not Spot's fault that someone has sensory issues however federal law under the ADA states that they do have to provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities so that they can carry out their job duties.
This can include changing the perimeters of the duties, allowing breaks when needed, providing AT tools, and changing the methods of supervising.
This is the fucking law.

Other fun facts from ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION AND UNDUE HARDSHIP UNDER THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT - https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html#requesting

To request accommodation, an individual may use "plain English" and need not mention the ADA or use the phrase "reasonable accommodation."

Requests for reasonable accommodation do not need to be in writing. Individuals may request accommodations in conversation or may use any other mode of communication.

An individual with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application process or during the period of employment. The ADA does not preclude an employee with a disability from requesting a reasonable accommodation because s/he did not ask for one when applying for a job or after receiving a job offer. Rather, an individual with a disability should request a reasonable accommodation when s/he knows that there is a workplace barrier that is preventing him/her, due to a disability, from effectively competing for a position, performing a job, or gaining equal access to a benefit of employment.

The employer can ask the individual for reasonable documentation about his/her disability and functional limitations however, an employer cannot ask for documentation when: (1) both the disability and the need for reasonable accommodation are obvious, or (2) the individual has already provided the employer with sufficient information to substantiate that s/he has an ADA disability and needs the reasonable accommodation requested.

An employer should respond expeditiously to a request for reasonable accommodation. If the employer and the individual with a disability need to engage in an interactive process, this too should proceed as quickly as possible.

An employer may not force a qualified individual with a disability to accept an accommodation.

An employer must provide a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability that will enable the individual to have an equal opportunity to participate in the application process and to be considered for a job

It is a reasonable accommodation to modify a workplace policy when necessitated by an individual's disability-related limitations.

No, it is not Spot's fault that someone has sensory issues however federal law under the ADA states that they do have to provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities so that they can carry out their job duties.
This can include changing the perimeters of the duties, allowing breaks when needed, providing AT tools, and changing the methods of supervising.
This is the fucking law.

Other fun facts from ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION AND UNDUE HARDSHIP UNDER THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT - https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html#requesting

To request accommodation, an individual may use "plain English" and need not mention the ADA or use the phrase "reasonable accommodation."

Requests for reasonable accommodation do not need to be in writing. Individuals may request accommodations in conversation or may use any other mode of communication.

An individual with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application process or during the period of employment. The ADA does not preclude an employee with a disability from requesting a reasonable accommodation because s/he did not ask for one when applying for a job or after receiving a job offer. Rather, an individual with a disability should request a reasonable accommodation when s/he knows that there is a workplace barrier that is preventing him/her, due to a disability, from effectively competing for a position, performing a job, or gaining equal access to a benefit of employment.

The employer can ask the individual for reasonable documentation about his/her disability and functional limitations however, an employer cannot ask for documentation when: (1) both the disability and the need for reasonable accommodation are obvious, or (2) the individual has already provided the employer with sufficient information to substantiate that s/he has an ADA disability and needs the reasonable accommodation requested.

An employer should respond expeditiously to a request for reasonable accommodation. If the employer and the individual with a disability need to engage in an interactive process, this too should proceed as quickly as possible.

An employer may not force a qualified individual with a disability to accept an accommodation.

An employer must provide a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability that will enable the individual to have an equal opportunity to participate in the application process and to be considered for a job

It is a reasonable accommodation to modify a workplace policy when necessitated by an individual's disability-related limitations.

Yes it's called getting a diagnosis and a doctor's note. You can't just say you have something. If you don't than target doesn't have to accommodate you. Anyone at my store complaining has not been to doctor. They just say they have some issue and than get made at Target. I'm afraid of stocking shelves, helping people, using a cash register, back stocking, power equipment. Target should pay me to go hide in a safe space and cry.

Last edited:
It takes far more time to shuffle the Uboat around to prevent disrupting guests than it does to walk a few steps while breaking down your box, but then again this was designed by people who have never actually done this.

i've been advocating to the TLs and and LODs to get the TMs to keep the push vehicles (uboats, tubs, smart carts) next to them as they worked for years since it worked well for me and i saw many others waste time walking back and forth. I'm not taking credit for this now being a company-wide process, but I'm glad the right people noticed that it is more effective and productive way of working a push vehicle.

This is the fucking law.

Yes, but an employer does not have to provide reasonable accommodation that creates undue hardship for the employer, so if accommodating would be too expensive or difficult, then it wouldn't be an ADA requirement.

Last edited:
Wait, what department is supposed to be in charge of RFID? Also, whats the goal % for RFID supposed to be?
A TM in each department is supposed to do the scan in their area: Electronics, Style, and Domestics/Home. Green is 98% and above.

Yes, but an employer does not have to provide reasonable accommodation that creates undue hardship for the employer, so if accommodating would be too expensive or difficult, then it wouldn't be an ADA requirement.
This.....If my target accommodated every one's issues we would no longer be able to function. Each team member would need a buddy team member to do there job for them. Target is not your therapist to help you figure out how to say hello to a person or to handle your anxiety attacks because you have to work hard for the first time in your life. We are acting like target is a special needs camp where we send autistic workers to learn life skills. Target is here for one purpose....Money. it's amazing how many people I heard through the years tell me target is the hardest thing they ever had to deal with in life..... Get a helmet because life is hard. If target was the worst of my issues I would be living a happy life lol. Target does offer safe spaces to people scared of life it's called not working here. I'm trying to survive myself at Target and under pressure to perform, the last thing I need to be doing is running a psych ward on top of my departments.

Spot is a very large company.
Undue hardship is only for small companies where they can prove that it can hurt them financially to provide the accommodation.
To change one policy, for one individual, is not a hardship, it is just annoying to you.
Difficult would be if it changes the entire nature of the job, however job carving does exist.
Creating jobs specifically targeted to the strengths of the person with a disability within a company is fairly common in countries in Europe.
We used to do it here.
Then we decided, fuck people with disabilities money is all that matters.

This.....If my target accommodated every one's issues we would no longer be able to function. Each team member would need a buddy team member to do there job for them. Target is not your therapist to help you figure out how to say hello to a person or to handle your anxiety attacks because you have to work hard for the first time in your life. We are acting like target is a special needs camp where we send autistic workers to learn life skills. Target is here for one purpose....Money. it's amazing how many people I heard through the years tell me target is the hardest thing they ever had to deal with in life..... Get a helmet because life is hard. If target was the worst of my issues I would be living a happy life lol. Target does offer safe spaces to people scared of life it's called not working here. I'm trying to survive myself at Target and under pressure to perform, the last thing I need to be doing is running a psych ward on top of my departments.

A psych ward?
Really?
That is how you see working with people who have disabilities?
Ableism much?
That is going to be tough to respond to but here goes.

The numbers show that people with disabilities are the most reliable employees.
They have the lowest rate of call outs and are loyal as hell to the companies who hire them.
It is proven that giving the accommodations are well worth the cost in the long run.

Working with people who have disabilities has proven to be a positive experience for coworkers and supervisors (at least the ones who get their heads out of their asses).
They develop a better understanding other people and the cultures they live in (deaf culture for example) as well as being able to help customers with disabilities better.
By providing the accommodations companies are often able to better see the nature of jobs and what are asked of the employees. There have even been cases where they have restructured the jobs because of the accommodations, when they realized the jobs had unnecessary components.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how you feel, this is the law.
Your fear and prejudice don't matter.

Last edited:
i've been advocating to the TLs and and LODs to get the TMs to keep the push vehicles (uboats, tubs, smart carts) next to them as they worked for years since it worked well for me and i saw many others waste time walking back and forth. I'm not taking credit for this now being a company-wide process, but I'm glad the right people noticed that it is more effective and productive way of working a push vehicle.

Except it isn't more efficient unless you have literally zero guests shopping in your area. Every time you spend shuffling the U boat around because of guests is wasted time.

From my own personal experience, our Uboats are labeled to say what goes where. For example: Let's say it's a three shelved uboat and A11-A12 would be on top A13-14 and so on. I like having my uboat next to me which helps, only time it doesn't help is when doing repacks and you have stuff from all over mixed in, especially when they are #4 repacks.

I didnt even have any of these complaints until modernization set in. I'm someone who learns a bit more slowly than others...which was fine when I was doing just sorting repacks and stocking. It's easy enough.

The problems started when they started messing around with how we were supposed to sort repacks. Then they stopped letting us use carts. Then they started moving everyone around and slashing hours. Then expecting everyone to do all these new things with no training.

The backroom people are grumpy and rude about all this as well, for good reason I suppose, but it makes it hard to ask them for any kind of help. Which everyone has to do since everything is fubar in the backroom now.

Everything has changed and just because I'm a little bit slower on the draw I guess I'm one of the ones tagged for being shoved out the door.

If I could go back to 10.50 an hour and just shove boxes I would. I realize I can't and I am trying to adjust but I'm not freaking Flash.

It would also help if I worked in the same place every day but I've given up on that. I'm not even going to go on about how the guests want their hands held for everything, further slowing me down...

Last edited:
Back