MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The backroom purge continues. To get everything out of there POGs are being fragmented and product being stocked no matter how bad it looks. I hope they remember to store tie these "flexes." I have a feeling my 135,000 sq. ft. store is going to start feeling like a small, cramped, corner bodega.

We weren't allowed to flex when we purged, it was check home locations, fill to and adjust capacity as needed. Backstock the rest. And of course process salvage, find DPCI's for item not found, and ticket clearance.

We weren't allowed to flex when we purged, it was check home locations, fill to and adjust capacity as needed. Backstock the rest. And of course process salvage, find DPCI's for item not found, and ticket clearance.
I will admit to being that DBO who is very particular when it comes to capacity. Nobody better be messing with it. Unless you are my lead and we discuss this, I mean EVER. I am sick to death of overstocked shelves that Susie High School has crammed full of product and "adjusted the capacity" (or not) and ultimately did not change the SFQ. The amount of backstock I have to do before I can fill my shelves in the morning is ridiculous. I have walked the department with my lead and we have discussed how it will/should be filled. I do NOT need or want or will sell 20 of the same thing in one day and I don't want replenishment for it or to have to deal with the clearance shit show that is ultimately created.

The idea behind purging, at least in our district, is to fix our counts. Counts for OH, SFC, SFQ, and backstock -- basically, everything is accounted for and nothing is in limbo. If you're flexing without adjusting the SFC or tying the new location to match, you're leaving product in limbo and screwing with the counts still.
This isn't an ordinary purge. Consider this the Ultimate & Final Purge. In the end, as close to "nothing" has to be in the backroom. Sales Floor capacity doesn't matter. Flex it out at all cost. Today I was questioned why I was back stocking one Heyday car charger. Because the home was filled and there was literally no where else to put it other than the backroom. I think we are a pilot store for this nonsense, which means be prepared for it to be rolled out chain wide.

Heard a rumor that more stockroom changes are coming soon. Anybody know anything about branding your stockroom aisles?

We have been doing it in Tech for almost a year now & it works perfectly for us espically with Reverse Fill. Our stockroom is about 70% empty product wise. Now if only the GM team would get to be able to take care of Entertainment & we finally get someone for batteries push for the rest store that be great (All ETLs & TLs agree but they haven’t figured out who yet). That’s the only vehicles that have to be moved on a daily basis (2 Uboats of entertainment & 2 Uboats of Batteries) As a whole The GM team is struggling & on the specialty side Tech is the only green area in all categories but doesn’t get recognized for it. 4th Quarter is going to be a fun one to watch at my store.

We have been doing it in Tech for almost a year now & it works perfectly for us espically with Reverse Fill. Our stockroom is about 70% empty product wise. Now if only the GM team would get to be able to take care of Entertainment & we finally get someone for batteries push for the rest store that be great (All ETLs & TLs agree but they haven’t figured out who yet). That’s the only vehicles that have to be moved on a daily basis (2 Uboats of entertainment & 2 Uboats of Batteries) As a whole The GM team is struggling & on the specialty side Tech is the only green area in all categories but doesn’t get recognized for it. 4th Quarter is going to be a fun one to watch at my store.

what's a Reverse Fill?

I will admit to being that DBO who is very particular when it comes to capacity. Nobody better be messing with it. Unless you are my lead and we discuss this, I mean EVER. I am sick to death of overstocked shelves that Susie High School has crammed full of product and "adjusted the capacity" (or not) and ultimately did not change the SFQ. The amount of backstock I have to do before I can fill my shelves in the morning is ridiculous. I have walked the department with my lead and we have discussed how it will/should be filled. I do NOT need or want or will sell 20 of the same thing in one day and I don't want replenishment for it or to have to deal with the clearance shit show that is ultimately created.

Oh me too, I backstocked so much stuff when I took over my area. Our adjustments were more of it fits 7, not the 32 that MyWork claims.

Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: Spot wants things done faster. Also we're cutting payroll. Now hurry up and finish those 7 uboats of freight before you leave in 2 hours.
Rational TM #1: But that makes no sense! How do I accomplish this? You've halved our personnel but expect more things to get done? brb need to help cover checklanes for the 8th time today.
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: We've given you all the tools to succeed, you're just falling to meet Corporate's Expectations. *troll face* We have a visit on Thursday and we really need you to step up and make the store look great! *sips coffee despite drinks not being allowed on sales floor*
Rational TM #2: But the store isn't looking great. Everything is falling apart. We're working really hard, we've been "stepping up" for over a year since modernization started to roll out at our store yet things are only getting worse. We're losing all our experienced TMs and never have enough...
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: PUSH FASTER!! JUST GET IT DONE, NO EXCUSES!! Don't make us cut you're hours!!
Rational TM #1: You've already cut us down to 16 hours a week. 😰 brb need to make a bale since everyone else refuses to do it.
Rational TM #2: I can't afford to pay my rent this month and I'm losing all my health benefits soon. 😭
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: Listen, we can't have all this negativity, alright? This type of attitude is why none of you will move up in this company lol. *smug face, sips coffee*

Rational TMs: *thousand yard stare*

Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: Spot wants things done faster. Also we're cutting payroll. Now hurry up and finish those 7 uboats of freight before you leave in 2 hours.
Rational TM #1: But that makes no sense! How do I accomplish this? You've halved our personnel but expect more things to get done? brb need to help cover checklanes for the 8th time today.
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: We've given you all the tools to succeed, you're just falling to meet Corporate's Expectations. *troll face* We have a visit on Thursday and we really need you to step up and make the store look great! *sips coffee despite drinks not being allowed on sales floor*
Rational TM #2: But the store isn't looking great. Everything is falling apart. We're working really hard, we've been "stepping up" for over a year since modernization started to roll out at our store yet things are only getting worse. We're losing all our experienced TMs and never have enough...
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: PUSH FASTER!! JUST GET IT DONE, NO EXCUSES!! Don't make us cut you're hours!!
Rational TM #1: You've already cut us down to 16 hours a week. 😰 brb need to make a bale since everyone else refuses to do it.
Rational TM #2: I can't afford to pay my rent this month and I'm losing all my health benefits soon. 😭
Kool-Aid drinking Team Lead: Listen, we can't have all this negativity, alright? This type of attitude is why none of you will move up in this company lol. *smug face, sips coffee*

you know it's not your TL's fault, right? we didn't invent this shit but we're being pressured by our ETLs (who are in turn being pressured by the SD, who is in turn being pressured by the DSD.....) to have green metrics and make these processes work.

I'm beginning to wonder how much they're making the day person in my department do OUTSIDE of this department. There's always at least 2 uboats left over, and sometimes a flat too. I have a 4-5 hour shift, I can't do all that plus reshop, audit, and help every random yahoo guest that wanders by. I do reshop first, then try to push some stuff--and get cornered by what feels like every guest in the store.

I always like the "IT WORKS AT OTHER STORES!" excuse.

I recently helped out at another store with their cosmetics 2.0 whatever. When I saw how bad their softlines breakout was, I came back and explained it to our sl breakout team. One tm said, "But our ETL says every other store gets their breakout done 100% every truck." I laughed. Lies. All lies.

I recently helped out at another store with their cosmetics 2.0 whatever. When I saw how bad their softlines breakout was, I came back and explained it to our sl breakout team. One tm said, "But our ETL says every other store gets their breakout done 100% every truck." I laughed. Lies. All lies.
Suffered internal bleeding from holding in my laughter when I heard "every other store comes clean every day".

I've said many times that the first step of Modernization should have been fixing the amount of freight sent to stores. If I have 30 boxes of 1 DPCI of cereal and we get a truck every single day, there's almost no reason I should be receiving another case until I sell most of that 30. Period.
I noticed this today in Paper. Still had something like 16 of the smaller Bounty of which only 6 fit on the floor and they sent me a whole extra pallet of 60. Screw that. I've got something like 12 full pallets of extra crap that won't go out at all and I'm getting bitched at because they want to use that space for BTS stuff.

I noticed this today in Paper. Still had something like 16 of the smaller Bounty of which only 6 fit on the floor and they sent me a whole extra pallet of 60. Screw that. I've got something like 12 full pallets of extra crap that won't go out at all and I'm getting bitched at because they want to use that space for BTS stuff.

Absolutely. At my store we've condensed Bulk Plastics inside to one 2-sided stretch of the steel (in addition to a container outside). I can still see single bins and full boxes I backstocked months ago. No one pushes it beyond what comes off the truck, so it almost never moves.

QFT.

I am rational tm#1 in this post - I swear.

I'd be laughing if this wasn't so damn sad.

Who from corporate is involved in a HQ visit? I think I overheard leadership at my store talking about an upcoming HQ visit. Would also explain all the extra hours that have magically appeared recently.

To be fair, a lot of of paper comes in as PIPO and can sell surprisingly fast. 16 (depending on the store's sales volume and truck schedule) might be a decent trigger point to send the next pallet. My store could blow through paper on a busy day and I have pulled multiple pallets worth for an hourly CAF on many occasions.

With 2-3 down days I bet you don’t . Take mine and you probably won’t know what to do with it . And my average trucks are 2300-2800
We might not get double trucks all time but we don’t get any down days. And we never leave backstock regardless of truck size. Getting push done is another story, although we are getting better. But my sales floor looks clean and and always zoned and so does my backroom. In no way, shape or form do we have it easy at my store. We just like to clean up after ourselves and part of this means never rolling over backstock.

Back