MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
They need to let us do the revisions too. I'm tired of going to set an aisle an revisions never got done.

Our closing expert helps out a ton with revisions. She does pretty well, still learning about reverse aisles but she'll get there.
But it is so very frustrating not doing them. Can't work out our 13 pallets of sporting goods and domestics freight because the endcaps and salesplans aren't done yet so it's not worth the time to dog they them.

Yeah, but at my store there are no presentation experts, just dedicated business owners. I didn’t know whether they’re actually bring back a full on presentation team.

The team wasn't supposed to go away at all. We kept our 4 person team intact and when there aren't any Plano hours, we get general merch 2 shifts. Two of us own domestics/home decor, one is in grocery, and the other has toys/sports. These areas are also shared by other gen merch TMs when week are under Plano.

We were informed that the training process for new salesfloor TMs no longer includes hours for register training. Salesfloor TMs will not get a register training shift with a front end trainer anymore. Instead, when the salesfloor trainer goes up for backup (ha ha) they are supposed to take the trainee with them and teach the trainee how to use the register then.

Should be a great Q4 for the scammers.

We were informed that the training process for new salesfloor TMs no longer includes hours for register training. Salesfloor TMs will not get a register training shift with a front end trainer anymore. Instead, when the salesfloor trainer goes up for backup (ha ha) they are supposed to take the trainee with them and teach the trainee how to use the register then.

Yikes, that's crazy. IMO Seasonals should be the ones getting all the backup calls!

hello, I am Bob at Corporate, please to be assisting me in testing your register. Please to be loading $500 on Visa gift card and please to be giving me of the debit card number, thank you come again

Hey, at least they've dropped the pretense that they're not cutting corners on training, huh? 🤣

That’s guest first lol. lol 😝
Well yeah. Sales floor can put things on the shelves so guests can find what they want rather than it languishing in the back. Sales floor can put things on the floor so OPU guests can get their items. Sales floor is there, so guests can get their questions answered. Sales floor can zone so the store is visually appealing and guests can find stuff where it belongs. Sales floor can get push done so guests aren't blocked from areas by vehicles. Sales floor have time to keep prices up to date, so guests know the right price and there's no register surprise. All this is very guest friendly.

Well yeah. Sales floor can put things on the shelves so guests can find what they want rather than it languishing in the back. Sales floor can put things on the floor so OPU guests can get their items. Sales floor is there, so guests can get their questions answered. Sales floor can zone so the store is visually appealing and guests can find stuff where it belongs. Sales floor can get push done so guests aren't blocked from areas by vehicles. Sales floor have time to keep prices up to date, so guests know the right price and there's no register surprise. All this is very guest friendly.

While no sane person would argue that almost everything salesfloor TMs do is helpful to guests, there is nothing more guests first than assisting guests who want to give us their money right that moment to do so quickly and efficiently. Actual realized sales in the moment > possible future sales. Same reason that when a guest aproaches a salesfloor TM and asks, "Do you have anymore of this in the back?" the TM drops what they're doing to go and get whatever it is if we do have it. They don't respond with "Meh, I really have to get this Uboat done, sorry," or "Do you see my RTW zone? I'll help you with that item when my shirts are all folded."

Last edited:
Front end should be self-sufficient, yes?
Yes, because according to Minnesota the often unreliable line buster and front end payroll cuts mean that there should never be a line ever because we are given the tools to make sure the process is succeeding.

Never mind that the line buster is hit or miss and doesn't do anything helpful when everyone checking out has an overflowing cart of groceries.

While no sane person would argue that almost everything salesfloor TMs do is helpful to guests, there is nothing more guests first than assisting guests who want to give us their money right that moment to do so quickly and efficiently. Actual realized sales in the moment > possible future sales. Same reason that when a guest aproaches a salesfloor TM and asks, "Do you have anymore of this in the back?" the TM drops what they're doing to go and get whatever it is if we do have it. They don't respond with "Meh, I really have to get this Uboat done, sorry," or "Do you see my RTW zone? I'll help you with that item when my shirts are all folded."
But how many people walk out without giving us our money because they can't find what they came in for? While Target is good for basket building, there's a lot of time where people will walk away from their wants if they can't find their needs. And how many people will buy some stuff but not nearly as much because they couldn't find what they wanted, so they are buying a partial amount? How many INFs are there, resulting in OPU guests not giving us as much money as they would have?

Yes, because according to Minnesota the often unreliable line buster and front end payroll cuts mean that there should never be a line ever because we are given the tools to make sure the process is succeeding.

Never mind that the line buster is hit or miss and doesn't do anything helpful when everyone checking out has an overflowing cart of groceries.
Look at the bigger picture. Front end is expected to be self sufficient but has permission to occasionally get register help when it's crazy. They also have immunity from helping elsewhere, even putting out candy.

Sales floor is expected to be self sufficient and never gets help from the front end, no matter how many times the front end has said "drop all your tasks and quit helping guests on the floor, because even though we have the same proportion of hours we need to take from yours".

So who ends up the loser in all cases? And who is partially responsible for guests not getting helped on the sales floor? Backup should be a rarity, not the front end's go to answer for every staffing hiccup.

So what do you guys think Target’s next step will be? From what I understand, although sales in a lot of stores have been stagnant or even at a loss, for the company as a whole, sales have been up since this modernization began. Once Target hits that $15 an hour for employees, for them to continue to keep the same profit margin they have now, hours will be cut but the workload will be the same. Although I personally believe in the near future, the ETL position will be cut all together which will save stores a lot of money which could factor into the $15 wage hike.

Also, does anyone know if or when TLs will receive a raise? It seems that TLs took on a whole lot of responsibility yet did not receive any financial gain and even lost some as many stores moved from 4am to 6am where in turn, a lot of TLs lost that $1 differential. I feel this is pushing TLs out the door as I see so much more responsibility yet no monetary adjustment.

This applies to regular team members too. They front loaded all of the backbreaking work without the pay to go with it. It's no surprise that our turnover rate is garbage right now. That was a pretty stupid decision, should've done the reverse to keep team members engaged.

Back