MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder if there's a correlation to Walmarts getting remodelled and installing a zillion self-checkouts. Even if we cut FOS hours and have lines, at least those guests who must have a human cashier can wait in line before they let you know "I'm making sure you keep your job by not using those machines."

Getting really tired of seeing a schedule and the next morning it's got days added. Like yes I need the hours, but what if I'd made plans in that time? Did somebody quit?? Why isn't there more consistency?

Almost all are 4 1/2 hour shifts except for one which is a mid...great, fantastic. 4-7 start time the rest of the week and a 10 am this one day. Again, I'd like some consistency

Getting really tired of seeing a schedule and the next morning it's got days added. Like yes I need the hours, but what if I'd made plans in that time? Did somebody quit?? Why isn't there more consistency?

Almost all are 4 1/2 hour shifts except for one which is a mid...great, fantastic. 4-7 start time the rest of the week and a 10 am this one day. Again, I'd like some consistency
try a clopen work till 11 PM and back at 6 AM

Put up one of my shifts to trade only to find that a day I thought I had on the new schedule is gone. Two changes in not even a day wtf is going on

I would guess in my district roughly 65-70% of the really good/decent Veteran TMs that we’re all cross trained and knew the processes (ETLs, TLs, TMs) with 5+ years experience have left in the last 6 months.

Leaders were specifically instructed to push out any TMs that resisted modernization. Crappy schedules, constantly changing expectations, coaching for everything no matter how small and severe reduction in hours 35+ to 8-12.

These people have been replaced with 18-20 year old kids (no offense) who for many is their first job. They are getting roughly 12-16 hours a week and almost 0 training.

I’m not totally sure but I remember hearing from someone (can’t remember who) and it could be a rumor but Corporate was planning on a 70% turnover rate with modernization.

It’s a recipe for disaster

They sure are getting that turnover. My store has lost half of its team with another 6 deciding if it’s better to quit. That would leave the original team down to 4 (and those are pretty much stuck there cause they won’t get hired elsewhere).

My payroll? You’re still ignoring that HQ is not properly staffing GM.

If HQ randomly decided it takes a total of 100 hours weekly to run the front, that doesn’t mean they’d be right. Arbitrarily assigned hours in one area working out doesn’t mean arbitrarily assigned hours in another area will work out. Pull your head out of your ass.

Go work in GM for two weeks otherwise keep your ignorant mouth shut because you haven’t the faintest idea what the fuck you’re talking about and you’re posting and walking around with the most incredibly selfish narrow minded view of things. Your ignorance is so overwhelming that it’s actually physically painful to me.

Let me really simplify this for you and ridiculously exaggerate for illustrative purposes... this is how you’re coming off to people who aren’t operating in the dark here... let’s say your store gets 2000 hours a week and they decided 1900 should go to the front... you’re representing yourself as basically saying “not my fault they can’t get their work done! It’s funny how when I actually get my 1900 hours I can get my workload done and those people can’t get it done with their hours! Not my problem!!! I only care about me!!”

Now do you see? Even in the slightest? No, probably not...

If you had even the slightest fucking clue what their workload is like, you would shut your fucking mouth.

I get you. Truck mancafs backup ad outfills phone calls plano ....it’s ridiculous what corporate expects someone in GM to complete in 4 hours. You can act all self-righteous about how hours are stolen from your work center and how as long as your work center is getting them screw the rest of the store. Here’s the end result of your modernization HQ. Not enough hours to “steal” from other workcenters to make the store run well.

It’s both. Not enough hours in GM in some (maybe most) cases AND some cases, we as GM need to get our shit together. Sorry guys but front end is just not the right work center to siphon payroll from. But hey it’s slow or front lanes is over staffed for a while? Yeah send a cashier to help push or do go backs or even zone. But the experience at the front end or checkout can be the difference in life or death for us brick and mortar/physical retail players. Look it up. It’s the priority for a reason.

Problem is there are literally no other work centers to take payroll from as the departments all “disappeared”

that still doesn’t justify taking from service and engagement
Then where do they get them if in practice (vs. on paper based on future budget projections) GM doesn't have the hours needed to run even basic operations, and front end has more hours than they need for basic operation and has enough hours to actually start on the "when we have time" tasks.

how much payroll do you think i’m getting? sure as hell not “more than enough for basic operation”

i have just enough to avoid calling backup cashiers. aka my payroll is allocated correctly

how much payroll do you think i’m getting? sure as hell not “more than enough for basic operation”

i have just enough to avoid calling backup cashiers. aka my payroll is allocated correctly

There is an obvious disconnect with corporate expectations and the Team members actually attempting to preform these unrealistic guild lines. Instead of blaming each other on both sides of the coin we need to come together and voice our frustrations to the ones responsible for placing us in this debacle. Cornell and his corporate minions... it is their greed and lack of experience in our work field that has caused us all of this mess. Perhaps change will happen before they literally run our company out of business but until then insulting and bickering with each other solves nothing. No matter what kind of ass backwards logic they are trying to instill in us or what “old” values they are trying to erase. We are still one team whose performances affect one another on the daily.

There is an obvious disconnect with corporate expectations and the Team members actually attempting to preform these unrealistic guild lines. Instead of blaming each other on both sides of the coin we need to come together and voice our frustrations to the ones responsible for placing us in this debacle. Cornell and his corporate minions... it is their greed and lack of experience in our work field that has caused us all of this mess. Perhaps change will happen before they literally run our company out of business but until then insulting and bickering with each other solves nothing. No matter what kind of ass backwards logic they are trying to instill in us or what “old” values they are trying to erase. We are still one team whose performances affect one another on the daily.

It’s almost like the team needs to organize...

I wonder if there's a correlation to Walmarts getting remodelled and installing a zillion self-checkouts. Even if we cut FOS hours and have lines, at least those guests who must have a human cashier can wait in line before they let you know "I'm making sure you keep your job by not using those machines."
thier is. we are shifting to a target based system even use zebras and printers BUT its working.

Isn't Target required to give you 8 hours between shifts?
Nope! That is in no way a rule or law except I think in 1 or 2 states. Granted, as far as I know they try to be fair with it for the most part. I've talked to my leads to get my schedule changed if there was less than 8 hours between my shifts, and they've agreed, but they dont have to grant that request.

Back