MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So this started last Thursday. The inbound team was told they will not be going on break until truck is unloaded. They come in at 6 and usually went around 8:30, or whenever told by TL. I think it's great. Asants but at my store, most of these guys don't want to be on the floor so they take their sweet ass time. Saturday's truck was 2100. They started around 6:30 and finished at 9. 1 thrower, 1 on the back, 2 on the front. Most of these guys are out at 11. Now they have to help out on the floor. I hear the gm tl telling them to pick up the pace but depending who is there or not there, some days sucked. I worked the line when I started, and it was a whole lot better back then. Those days are gone and if you can't pick up the pace, you should be gone too. These guys are not new. They know the drill. I remember when this started our Etl log told us in a meeting "it would be a slow metered unload". We'll see how this goes.

So this started last Thursday. The inbound team was told they will not be going on break until truck is unloaded. They come in at 6 and usually went around 8:30, or whenever told by TL. I think it's great. Asants but at my store, most of these guys don't want to be on the floor so they take their sweet ass time. Saturday's truck was 2100. They started around 6:30 and finished at 9. 1 thrower, 1 on the back, 2 on the front. Most of these guys are out at 11. Now they have to help out on the floor. I hear the gm tl telling them to pick up the pace but depending who is there or not there, some days sucked. I worked the line when I started, and it was a whole lot better back then. Those days are gone and if you can't pick up the pace, you should be gone too. These guys are not new. They know the drill. I remember when this started our Etl log told us in a meeting "it would be a slow metered unload". We'll see how this goes.

I don't approve of rushing the unload too much. Giving them the time to properly sort has a big impact on how fast the rest of the store goes that day. It makes a huge impact for me doing OPUs when I have to go back to the line to find items that haven't been pushed yet. A good unload/sort takes some time. They need to get everything on the proper vehicle and sort through all the repacks to make sure each individual item goes to the right department.

Having said that, my store's inbounds team normally won't take a break until the unload is done. Exceptions are made though for things like having to push a bunch of vehicles to clear enough vehicles to unload onto, a huge truck, or a problematic truck with a broken pallet or two. It's up to the unload captain to determine if the team needs to break before finishing.

I don't approve of rushing the unload too much. Giving them the time to properly sort has a big impact on how fast the rest of the store goes that day. It makes a huge impact for me doing OPUs when I have to go back to the line to find items that haven't been pushed yet. A good unload/sort takes some time. They need to get everything on the proper vehicle and sort through all the repacks to make sure each individual item goes to the right department.

Having said that, my store's inbounds team normally won't take a break until the unload is done. Exceptions are made though for things like having to push a bunch of vehicles to clear enough vehicles to unload onto, a huge truck, or a problematic truck with a broken pallet or two. It's up to the unload captain to determine if the team needs to break before finishing.

What's an unload captain?

What's an unload captain?

Not an official position. Just the TM who is in charge of making sure things go smoothly: Vehicles get switched out when needed. The line slows down or speeds up as necessary. Calls GM for additional TMs on the line if needed. Teaches newer TMs on the fly if he/she sees anything wrong. Decides what pallets, if any, are going to stay on the truck. Calls electronics to come pick up their TVs. Etc.

Really, just a trusted veteran who can make sure the process goes as it's supposed to go.

"5 hours shifts makes for better customer experience"
Really? lol
The reasons we always did shorter shifts was to be able to cover NCNS/call-outs.
It was a lot easier to ask someone to stay longer than to try & call someone in.
Now that hours have taken a nosedive, TMs who used to pass on staying are now asking if anyone called out.

Lots of people have said the new computer training guides are being marked off without the new TM actually doing them.
I’m not sure how the Learnings in Workday can be checked off as completed unless they’re actually completed. If a TM has watched every video and flipped every card and completed the quiz and they’re still flagging for it to be completed I have to have them do it again and call HROC to remote in and screenshot their monitor so they can manually override it. Training Meter was easy to fool, just key it in and make up whatever date you felt like. But on Workday everyone has to log in to their own profile to access their Learnings to complete.

After having my hours cut from an average of 36-38 hours, down to 20-25, I'm looking for another job. I'm the most skilled in the front of store, despite only being there about 6 months. I am an excellent customer service TM, able to calm the angriest "Karen", and can work the POS better than anyone else, and gets the most RedCards. However, HR ETL gave everyone in S&E some schpeil about "5 hours shifts makes for better customer experience" claiming that 7-8 hour shifts cause TM's "to not be as cheery and energetic" when it comes to dealing with guests because of "fatigue". Oh, and then the GSA TL likes to harrass us about RedCard goals, and says that everyone is expected to get a RedCard per shift "or else". He expects us to keep pitching the RedCards until we get "3 no's" or he claims we aren't trying hard enough. These seasonal hires are thrown on registers with just the minimal training, and then TM's like me are expected to supplement their training, because I'm one of the people everyone seems to ask for help from. On top of that, our SD wants to keep changing things at the GS counter, with annoying micromanaging. Stuff like; separating go back bins for softlines into 4 bins instead of one. Tops and Dresses, Bottoms and undies, shoes, and accessories. He wants us to keep the back of GS clear, but we aren't allowed to do RTS anymore. So we need to wait until OPU comes to clear it. It's wacky. And every hour, he wants us to run a flat to the back for salvage, defective etc., because he doesn't want it sitting in the back for too long. And the entire FOS got coached by the AP ETL about SCO, because on top of needing to pitch RedCards and Circle to SCO guests, we are supposed to scan all big ticket items (spidered or not), and LISA and BOB on top of everything else. GSA ETL even wants us to offer to bag SCO guests items, also encouraged by AP so that we can better keep an eye out for theft or tag switching.

It's like in the past month, the SD and the ETL's have gone wacky, and can't decide what procedure is procedure anymore.

I do think that the purpose of these 5 hour shifts is so they don't have to pay for a second break. Had a few long time TM's from the front peace out already, more like me who are getting other jobs, and just using Target to pivot. Meanwhile, everyday their hiring more TM's. We are doing 3 orientations a week right now. Some of these new hires and seasonals are working only 10 hours a week.
This schedule was started last year for us. It works well for me, because I really do get tired. Here is my experience on the micromanaging. AP always goes crazy as soon as 4th quarter ends. They want best practices emphasized, and SD approves. It's temporary. They try stuff at GS. It's temporary.

It's stressful, and the supervisors are not smooth about how to coach. Half of them aren't even mature enough to be self-aware.

The redcards fell off the cliff during 4th quarter. Too busy. Our new system was too choppy to give RC backup. But it's true that people don't ask. They know.

That push WILL last.

The hours will remain fairly low. It's a part time job, for sure, and they haven't figured out that means a headache with 2nd jobs, callouts, and loyalty.

To be honest, I watched as they gave away hours to people who are not hitting goals, so this year, I plan to shine it on.

It all falls down!

I doubt it's doing it this quickly, but I guess it depends on which exec is in control
or what way the wind blows and what amount of 'shrooms the local GTL has ingested in the last 34.5 hours. yeah…

hoping this is true as I don't think it is possible to find more outdated and unlocated product in the backroom but out DBO's are giving it a go. and are sadly so far succeeding.

Definition of a “Unload Captain”

A made up position that gives the owner a sense of leadership yet it comes with no extra pay, benefits, or perks. Only adds extra stress and provides disdain towards them by fellow employees. Reminds of Dwight’s position as the “second in command” on The Office. Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Question for all Electronic TMs, with the Op Model, do you also own Entertainment or is that part of GM?

Question for all Electronic TMs, with the Op Model, do you also own Entertainment or is that part of GM?

it’s part of GM at least in my area it took then till just recently to finally realize that needed a TM there at least M-F to keep up with workload and everything. Now if only Entertainment can get their own isle in light duty that would make the Tech stockroom Low & Pro & Laderless

Electronics is supervised by style etl and mmb is supervised by gm etl. BUT we don’t have a mmb dbo. The tech people set the pogs and push truck, which is difficult now that there’s no double coverage after Christmas.

Electronics is supervised by style etl and mmb is supervised by gm etl. BUT we don’t have a mmb dbo. The tech people set the pogs and push truck, which is difficult now that there’s no double coverage after Christmas.

the supervised part gets lol at my store very very little do we see the actual ETL over us. Ive stepped up & lead the team ever since before the holidays. We’ve got recognized as a department from our DSD & GVP recently & On those walks I was asked to tag along & spoke to all our strengths & opps as a team for the dept. The Etl was then asked with me right there how I was able to go in detail on everything but the Etl was bland in all answers. That was probably a fun closed door conversation lol.

I need one for fast service
I need fast service
Two for fast service please
I need three for fast service
Someone volunteer before I start calling names
Will someone answer that fast service call?

I was up twice and barely got anything done push wise. They called for fast service every 15-20 minutes and sometimes even more than that. How about you actually schedule some cashiers? We rolled the truck for sure because of this shit

Me: Hey, I just got another order for 5 of these in your section. We don't have any and haven't sold any for over 200 days. Can I audit them out already so they don't keep popping up?

The dumb TL in the building: No audits. They'll mess up our replenishment.

Me: We're supposed to have 12 on hand, what replenishment are we messing up unless we let them know we don't have any so they'll actually replenish our supply?

The dumb TL in the building:

450px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

I need one for fast service
I need fast service
Two for fast service please
I need three for fast service
Someone volunteer before I start calling names
Will someone answer that fast service call?

I was up twice and barely got anything done push wise. They called for fast service every 15-20 minutes and sometimes even more than that. How about you actually schedule some cashiers? We rolled the truck for sure because of this shit

Sounds like the no backups things is working really well.

Me: Hey, I just got another order for 5 of these in your section. We don't have any and haven't sold any for over 200 days. Can I audit them out already so they don't keep popping up?

The dumb TL in the building: No audits. They'll mess up our replenishment.

Me: We're supposed to have 12 on hand, what replenishment are we messing up unless we let them know we don't have any so they'll actually replenish our supply?

The dumb TL in the building:

450px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

I know this is an ASANTS thing but-

Me: (audits missing item because there hasn't been any in what feels like forever) Hey, TL, just an FYI I audited this item because we don't have it and guests keep asking because the website says we do. (Week or two later, missing item replenishes from truck) 🤯

Terrifically!

They're also considering firing what basically amounts to all the cart attendants. With no ready replacements.

Send help

Yep, at my old store practically all of ours quit because their hours were slashed so horribly. Any replacements that came in quit after a couple of weeks. It's a grand old time and they started sending cashiers (advocates, whatever) out to get carts when it's slow at night. They call out to GM/style/market if it's busy and there aren't any.

I'm glad I escaped, but I feel bad for my former coworkers. The useful ones anyway.

Yep, at my old store practically all of ours quit because their hours were slashed so horribly. Any replacements that came in quit after a couple of weeks. It's a grand old time and they started sending cashiers (advocates, whatever) out to get carts when it's slow at night. They call out to GM/style/market if it's busy and there aren't any.

I'm glad I escaped, but I feel bad for my former coworkers. The useful ones anyway.
Yes, 3 seasonals quit. They took a look at scedule and bailed. Alas, they were the "keepers."

Back