MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was a dbo and got promoted to gmtl with presentation last September. Since then I've managed to see both good and bad of modernization. It is what it is. However, our store has lost the food & Bev team lead, ETL-SE, ETL-GM and the specialty sales ETL is leaving in a week. All of them have said the same thing...the changes are too much and it's time to move on.
I truly believe modernization highlights the differences in stores and mainly leadership. At this point, we are stretched so thin it's absolutely ridiculous.

She’s only 51. You don’t retire that young unless it’s not going your way. When it was announced it was also in the same announcement that we missed expectations for Q4.
Sorry I didn’t see the announcement. My SD just announced it at the same huddle where he told everyone my job was eliminated and they have to set their own pogs. Lol.

You DO however retire that young when you have a fuckton of money.
Ya every article I’ve read says she’s staying on to help til March even tho her replacement already in position. If they fired her she’d be gone.
Sounds like a planned retirement with months of notice.
I had a SD that retired at 55 after 35 years with target. 51 seems young but can be done. She can work as a consultant for companies and set her own schedule.

Someone on Reddit says that DBOs are going away.

Do you have a link? I tried Google lol
I actually chose to make a career at Target after a lot of analysis before all of this DBO bs. I'm finally at the point of qutting but if they are pulling their heads out I might stick it out longer.

I was a dbo and got promoted to gmtl with presentation last September. Since then I've managed to see both good and bad of modernization. It is what it is. However, our store has lost the food & Bev team lead, ETL-SE, ETL-GM and the specialty sales ETL is leaving in a week. All of them have said the same thing...the changes are too much and it's time to move on.
I truly believe modernization highlights the differences in stores and mainly leadership. At this point, we are stretched so thin it's absolutely ridiculous.

Don't be fooled, most of the leadership is seeing the writing on the wall. There are two things happening here...

First, the stores required a HUGE amount of money to increase their sales. We have been pushing remodels and rebranding of products very heavily across the chain, which is "spending money to make money"... but when we can't afford to keep doing that the sales will slow down (this last Q4 is likely the start). All this does is add pressure to everyone. Janna and Juan left (for a reason I'm sure), and now the pressure is rolling all the way down to stores. Its all about perfection and not messing anything up to grab every dollar we can, and most leadership teams are getting fed up with the attitude being given by the distant leadership teams barking orders from their remote locations.

Second, this entire modernization process is about one thing... cutting payroll. You don't have to have a bare minimum flow team and a bare minimum salesfloor team... you just need a bare minimum flow team that works during the day now, which allows Target to cut hours down. This sounds like "efficiency" but its not exactly. Its Target covering up just how bad they can slice the stores down. February is the worst payroll month I have ever seen for the company. Most leadership teams (specifically salary) are looking at that and realizing that its cut so low that they won't have a work-life balance anymore and probably leaving because of that. They also know that "super sorting" is decently efficient, but what they are seeing is cut lower than what a few well sorted vehicles can save them.

Do you have a link? I tried Google lol
I actually chose to make a career at Target after a lot of analysis before all of this DBO bs. I'm finally at the point of qutting but if they are pulling their heads out I might stick it out longer.

I doubt they are.... The problem is that everyone district level and above is just so far removed from what happens in stores now that they can't possibly grasp it. Even store directors used to know a ton about the buildings and how they operate, but they slowly are going away and and the new ones are wondering why super sorting a truck takes so long (We know MyTime says that 1 Thrower, 2 Sorters, and a Breakout can sort a large truck in 3 hours... but its wrong), how pricing works, or how sales are down? Sorry, they are out of touch and do not care... we are stuck with this DBO thing and modernization not because its our key to success, but because the appearance of its success is the key to their personal careers.

Ya every article I’ve read says she’s staying on to help til March even tho her replacement already in position. If they fired her she’d be gone.
Sounds like a planned retirement with months of notice.
I had a SD that retired at 55 after 35 years with target. 51 seems young but can be done. She can work as a consultant for companies and set her own schedule.

She was definitely "fired" in the sense that they wanted her gone, but I am guessing she was fine with it. I wouldn't be surprised if she had stock options that could be paid out at "retirement" and she turned in her notice the day before the Q4 earnings announcements (when the price dropped). She likely knew that the Q3 earnings were the peak of the money train, and wanted to cash out before the drop happened.

She was definitely "fired" in the sense that they wanted her gone, but I am guessing she was fine with it. I wouldn't be surprised if she had stock options that could be paid out at "retirement" and she turned in her notice the day before the Q4 earnings announcements (when the price dropped). She likely knew that the Q3 earnings were the peak of the money train, and wanted to cash out before the drop happened.
Rock, I agree with you.

Back