2023 New pilots?

I’m not in either of those districts but I was told we are basically going back to how things were before modernization. I am a Specialty Sales TL and am now taking on presentation and pricing for the whole store. One of our GMTL is now in charge of inbound and pushing freight for the whole store. That’s all I know for now. Maybe more will be said in March?

So, if the DBO model goes away and the old team model comes back, how does this shake out for individual TMs?
I have a feeling I'm not going to like it, and not just because I (like probably most people) just don't like change. Long before we went to the DBO model, I was saying we should do something like it and so I've really liked it quite a lot. It's not perfect, but it fits well with the way I like to do things.
With the old team model (and the TL I had at the time), I felt like I was bounced around whenever and wherever his whim for control and micro-managing came into play. With the DBO model, I feel like I have a pretty reasonable expectation of what my day will look like.
Might be time to seriously figure out how I can retire, even though it's earlier than I'd like and can probably afford.

So, if the DBO model goes away and the old team model comes back, how does this shake out for individual TMs?
I have a feeling I'm not going to like it, and not just because I (like probably most people) just don't like change. Long before we went to the DBO model, I was saying we should do something like it and so I've really liked it quite a lot. It's not perfect, but it fits well with the way I like to do things.
With the old team model (and the TL I had at the time), I felt like I was bounced around whenever and wherever his whim for control and micro-managing came into play. With the DBO model, I feel like I have a pretty reasonable expectation of what my day will look like.
Might be time to seriously figure out how I can retire, even though it's earlier than I'd like and can probably afford.
I was never a DBO in my department because it meant nothing and you DO NOT get paid anymore anyway.

I always thought DBO was flawed because you can't really do the job properly unless you do it seven days a week.

Last edited:
Like I said my inbound Tls still keeps the inbound tm in a said department and they have backup for those departments. Even tho we own it all, tm will still be kept in a certain area for the purpose of accountability.

Like I said my inbound Tls still keeps the inbound tm in a said department and they have backup for those departments. Even tho we own it all, tm will still be kept in a certain area for the purpose of accountability.
This is pretty standard once stores started sort and stock. We rolled out sort and stock and modernization around the same time so people often relate the two but even without dbos you should still have people stick to a similar area as much as you can for accountability and efficiency.

I’m not in either of those districts but I was told we are basically going back to how things were before modernization. I am a Specialty Sales TL and am now taking on presentation and pricing for the whole store. One of our GMTL is now in charge of inbound and pushing freight for the whole store. That’s all I know for now. Maybe more will be said in March?
As a Specialty Sales TL what areas besides presentation and pricing do you have?
Who oversees the truck when the single GMTL is not there?
How many tm's do you have on pricing?

As a Specialty Sales TL what areas besides presentation and pricing do you have?
Who oversees the truck when the single GMTL is not there?
How many tm's do you have on pricing?
I have style, home, domestics, stationary, kitchen, seasonal and plastics and furniture. I will still have a team member in those areas for zone and priorities.
The other GMTL would also help with inbound. We have 2 GMTLs.
We have 4 people for pricing.

We did this before q4 in my store. It's failing so badly. My store just barely falls short every year in going up in volume/payroll (I'm talking like, we were less than 100k away last year) and we're getting so much freight in we can't handle it. When it first started they included everything as GM including Beauty/Tech. I work Beauty and as soon as they tried to shift me to GM none of the beauty freight got pushed. I had 8-9 vehicles sitting in the backroom. It was sooo bad. Tech was similar. Our push team talks more than pushes and it just doesn't work for us. With DBOs at least SOME of every area was pushed and we came clean pretty often. After the change, we haven't come clean since before Q4. It's. Rough.

We did this before q4 in my store. It's failing so badly. My store just barely falls short every year in going up in volume/payroll (I'm talking like, we were less than 100k away last year) and we're getting so much freight in we can't handle it. When it first started they included everything as GM including Beauty/Tech. I work Beauty and as soon as they tried to shift me to GM none of the beauty freight got pushed. I had 8-9 vehicles sitting in the backroom. It was sooo bad. Tech was similar. Our push team talks more than pushes and it just doesn't work for us. With DBOs at least SOME of every area was pushed and we came clean pretty often. After the change, we haven't come clean since before Q4. It's. Rough.

Are those deficiencies due to the pilot or due to lack of accountability? Freight flow has nothing to do with the pilot. The pilot is related to how stores shift team responsibilities and processes. Even if you miss the cutoff to be a higher org chart, you still get payroll hours appropriate to your volume level. You may just feel like there aren't enough leads, especially if you don't have strong leaders.
Op model changes usually entail growing pains and learning curves, but there's nothing about this one that should fundamentally cripple your store.

Beauty and tech still remain under specialty so I don’t know why they would try to shift you under gm. Freight flow has nothing to do with sitting on freight . I take 15-17 trucks and we don’t have that kind of problem. It’s all about leadership and planning .

I was never a DBO in my department because it meant nothing and you get paid anymore anyway.

I always thought DBO was flawed because you can't really do the job properly unless you do it seven days a week.
It was never about getting paid more, for me anyway - and neither will this change. I agree that having someone else pushing freight on the truck day/s I'm not there isn't ideal, but I still prefer this to the team model. Or when it comes to the other tasks in my area.
My experience with the old model is that some TMs, and it's always the same ones, end up taking up the slack for other TMs, also always the same ones. I got so sick of it. Never helped to say anything to a TL about any of them. And heaven forbid if I speak up to one of those slackers myself!
Given the current employment situation in my area, we've kept on some seasonal TMs that we wouldn't have in the past. So a slacker can get away with an awful lot as long as they keep showing up. Kinda sucks to be a hard worker who likes to take pride in a doing a job well. Reverting to the old model would make it harder for me to avoid the slackers. And that'll make me feel grumpy.

God do I HATE this. Every day they're like "okay everyone up here has to know how to do EVERYTHING up front, everyone's going to spend an hour at GS, etc"

They'll send me to do something, then 3 seconds later pull me back to do cashiering, then once the rush is down back to whatever, then maybe I'll get some of it done, then cashiering for the rest of the day, or maybe cashiering and then GS --

I'd really like to do one thing and have that be all, all day, so I have SOME idea of what the day will look like. So I can mentally prepare. But I utter the slightest complaint about being pulled in 50 directions and I get talked to in the office. I have a hard time getting focused to begin with and it's near impossible when I get pulled to do one thing and not even three minutes later get pulled for something else, repeat ad nauseum.
That’s how it is on front end. When my store decided to have a dedicated drive up team, i
Jumped on real quick. I only get called to cashier once in a blue moon and only for a few minutes max.

Could you semi-retire?

market is as was once acceptable to say "the red headed step child" of Target. so they get nothing but more work and less time to get it done 'cos Q1. ASANTS as always
So market is the red headed step child while opu Sfs and drive up get all the love

market is as was once acceptable to say "the red headed step child" of Target. so they get nothing but more work and less time to get it done 'cos Q1. ASANTS as always
My theory is market brings people into the store to pickup milk, lettuce, etc.

The same guests might then wander over to pickup clothes and/or housewares were Target makes the money.

My theory is market brings people into the store to pickup milk, lettuce, etc.

The same guests might then wander over to pickup clothes and/or housewares were Target makes the money.
its all about the profit margins. market's margins are razor thin to non existent whilst softlines are just massive. So clothes get more luv while market is told to make do with the scraps.

Back