Another Cart Attendant post

Florida Dawg

Former Cart Attendant Pro and Target Employee
Haven’t posted in weeks but I’ve made it to a month as Cart Attendant and a few weeks ago I talked to my HR about maybe moving to Market in the future which she said may or may not happen even though I was trained that one day to help them out for some reason and I felt comfortable with it. But I’ve seen more of the bs that a CA has to deal with like I’ve seen from others on here post about and they do look down on you for sure and expect you to do everything so quick and I hate it because I’m not a robot. Hopefully despite recent problems that something will work out and I’ll be able to move to a different position. Y’all can vent or say any good advice while you’re at it. Overall pay is good and I have some good coworkers while most of the others are weird or have a staring problem.

You generally don't switch positions/work centers within your 90 days. After that, the odds of making a full-blown/permanent department switch are rare (I've seen it happen to only two cart attendants). The best that might happen is you'll get cross-trained.

You generally don't switch positions/work centers within your 90 days. After that, the odds of making a full-blown/permanent department switch are rare (I've seen it happen to only two cart attendants). The best that might happen is you'll get cross-trained.
I already knew that. Being a CA at my store, I just be getting shitted on and nobody helps me during the day even when I ask and you do a lot more as a CA then any other department except for backroom and GS. I got in trouble today and had 3 topics talked to me about by my Dept ETL and one of them was why I got written up for sure but I was never informed before on the seriousness of that topic. And after from convo experiences with other coworkers there I’m not even gonna bother talking to most of them. I do my job for sure but these people they look down or think I don’t do anything especially with TL’s and my ETL yet they never said so much negative to me at all until today.

Work so much that you hurt yourself. That should do it.
Lmao they talked to me before to not overwork myself and not to think that management is overworking me yet they chew me out still on dumb shit. I know it’s been a month and haven’t been through enough there yet but this position is just so bs man. Pay is better than my past job though so can’t complain about that.

There are stores that have a very good team morale. While other stores have a clicks and hierarchy setups. I had one store that treated their CAs like crap. Pile on CAs with crap tasks which every TM should perform without trouble.

Last edited:
There are stores that have a very good team morale. While other stores have a clicks and hierarchy setups. I had one store that treated their CAs like crap. Pill on CAs with crap tasks which every TM should perform without trouble.
Dude I just can’t believe this shit is allowed as a CA, I can’t be everywhere at once and I’ve told HR before. I will do the best I can and I won’t have a problem with anyone unless they give me one. That’s the issue I have right now, They’ve seen how I work and that I’m trying to be personally better but then wanna “coach” me up all the sudden after how they see me work or randomly. I have a feeling if it keeps up, I’ll eventually be dreading and having shit morale and be mentally sad when I go to work like I did at my old job and I don’t wanna feel that way but attitude reflects leadership.

The main CA at our store, they've been here for a few years. Given what I've observed about the treatment of CAs in our store, and certainly many stories here and at Reddit, I'm kinda surprised our CA has stuck around. I'm one of the few TMs who makes a point of saying hello and thank you to him on a daily basis. He doesn't really talk much.

By contrast, for new hires at one of Target's biggest competitors, cart attendant duty is a mandatory part of your onboarding for just about any hourly job at a Costco warehouse. Whenever needed, you will be asked to fill in on cart duty, and at a Costco warehouse that is a LOT of carts!!! It's drilled into the culture of Costco that the lowest-level job tasks are very important and nothing to look down on.

Methinks Target is capable of treating CAs with greater respect, but Target's corporate culture (which has its share of elitism and snobbery) has blind spots and this may be one of them.

I already knew that. Being a CA at my store, I just be getting shitted on and nobody helps me during the day even when I ask and you do a lot more as a CA then any other department except for backroom and GS. I got in trouble today and had 3 topics talked to me about by my Dept ETL and one of them was why I got written up for sure but I was never informed before on the seriousness of that topic. And after from convo experiences with other coworkers there I’m not even gonna bother talking to most of them. I do my job for sure but these people they look down or think I don’t do anything especially with TL’s and my ETL yet they never said so much negative to me at all until today.
If you got written up or coaching, you can't transfer to another Dept. You need show improvement first to your current etl or tl.

The main CA at our store, they've been here for a few years. Given what I've observed about the treatment of CAs in our store, and certainly many stories here and at Reddit, I'm kinda surprised our CA has stuck around. I'm one of the few TMs who makes a point of saying hello and thank you to him on a daily basis. He doesn't really talk much.

By contrast, for new hires at one of Target's biggest competitors, cart attendant duty is a mandatory part of your onboarding for just about any hourly job at a Costco warehouse. Whenever needed, you will be asked to fill in on cart duty, and at a Costco warehouse that is a LOT of carts!!! It's drilled into the culture of Costco that the lowest-level job tasks are very important and nothing to look down on.

Methinks Target is capable of treating CAs with greater respect, but Target's corporate culture (which has its share of elitism and snobbery) has blind spots and this may be one of them.
I honestly don’t have a issue with some of the other responsibilities, It’s just how I can get around to it while someone can cover Cart wiping but they take forever when I ask for someone to cover me so I can get something done. Then they get upset when I leave on my own, Besides people can wipe their own anyways, They done it for so many years anyways before the virus begun but that doesn’t seem to matter.

If you got written up or coaching, you can't transfer to another Dept. You need show improvement first to your current etl or tl.
Yeah wouldn’t surprise me lmao. Guess we’ll see after the 3 months. I have a feeling that despite me trying my best to get things done and whatnot I still might not be good enough so I’ll probably end up job searching again soon whether it’s me going to a different location and different department or working somewhere else completely. This place was to get my foot in the door for better opportunity at least and I was planning to stay for at least a year but I don’t know at this point even if they keep me.

Sorry you are struggling. I am lucky in that I have really good front of store attendants. I try to take good care of my entire team. I keep water on my desk for them, make sure they get breaks & lunches & on really hot Texas days, the FOS attendants get an extra break. We currently aren't scheduling a dayside FOS attendant so nearly every single person in the building has been helping bring in carts & learning to clean up their own spills. It has been a good lesson for the building. I think a lot of people in my store didn't realize how much the FOS attendants actually do.

Communication is almost non-existent, unless something goes wrong (in the eyes of management).

Sorry you are struggling. I am lucky in that I have really good front of store attendants. I try to take good care of my entire team. I keep water on my desk for them, make sure they get breaks & lunches & on really hot Texas days, the FOS attendants get an extra break. We currently aren't scheduling a dayside FOS attendant so nearly every single person in the building has been helping bring in carts & learning to clean up their own spills. It has been a good lesson for the building. I think a lot of people in my store didn't realize how much the FOS attendants actually do.
I live in north florida so it gets hot for sure, I have a passionate personality and I still have the desire to want to work there but after yesterday it’s starting to become difficult. I was honest about when I messed up with the bathroom check document paper and didn’t know how serious it was. I’m not gonna lie either but I don’t care what others think of me as well so that’s why I’m not even talking to most coworkers now and I don’t exactly feel accepted but Idc because I’ve had it happen as a kid and I just hate the micromanaging. I will bust my ass for these people but if this becomes occurring, I’ll have to move on at some point after 3 months.

Communication is almost non-existent, unless something goes wrong (in the eyes of management).
That’s exactly what it feels like. Wish I did more research before accepting the job. Like I told others on here, I’ll bust my ass for these people to the best I can, But if they are gonna be petty and that I’m not good enough for them, I might as well quit in the future at some point especially if I cant find another department. Front end isn’t working the best for me and this is my first time with retail experience and I’m trying hard to make the best of it.

If you've been around less than 90 days and you're complaining about your current role, no one is going to want you on their teams.

Yeah, sure, complain about a thunderstorm or the person that trashed the bathroom, but don't complain about the actual job or the people you work with.

Good leaders want to handpick TMs that fit into their existing culture. They want to know that their TMs will give them the benefit of the doubt and that they will take turns doing the crappy parts of the job without complaining.

Good leaders also aren't going to want someone that has gone to HR about their job or their peers and leaders.

Basically keep your head down, own your mistakes, keep your temper in check.

It's because they don't want to train another person. It's easier to keep somebody in a shitty job they don't like then to train somebody new to do your job. Also happiness in team members is something they don't want. Just don't complain all that does is trash your hours not get you in a new department. They might be trying to get you to quit too. I have seen it at the Tarshit. You might want wanna find elsewhere to work.

That’s exactly what it feels like. Wish I did more research before accepting the job. Like I told others on here, I’ll bust my ass for these people to the best I can, But if they are gonna be petty and that I’m not good enough for them, I might as well quit in the future at some point especially if I cant find another department. Front end isn’t working the best for me and this is my first time with retail experience and I’m trying hard to make the best of it.
Well just remember: try not to worry about your co-workers; a lot of them are self-serving people that like to cause trouble. Just show up, do what you do and depart.

If you've been around less than 90 days and you're complaining about your current role, no one is going to want you on their teams.

Yeah, sure, complain about a thunderstorm or the person that trashed the bathroom, but don't complain about the actual job or the people you work with.

Good leaders want to handpick TMs that fit into their existing culture. They want to know that their TMs will give them the benefit of the doubt and that they will take turns doing the crappy parts of the job without complaining.

Good leaders also aren't going to want someone that has gone to HR about their job or their peers and leaders.

Basically keep your head down, own your mistakes, keep your temper in check.
I’ll try my best but people can take only so much.

It's because they don't want to train another person. It's easier to keep somebody in a shitty job they don't like then to train somebody new to do your job. Also happiness in team members is something they don't want. Just don't complain all that does is trash your hours not get you in a new department. They might be trying to get you to quit too. I have seen it at the Tarshit. You might want wanna find elsewhere to work.
I’m gonna see after my 3 months first and make sure I keep it before I start to look for other jobs. Just gonna have to see.

Well just remember: try not to worry about your co-workers; a lot of them are self-serving people that like to cause trouble. Just show up, do what you do and depart.
Exactly, Already learned my lesson about that. Some stores don’t have that problem from what some people have said but my store has some troublemakers.

Cart attendants who can take the abuse & kill it are the ones who get moved to other depts.
Leaders see great cart attendants as wasted talent so they get snapped up by other areas.
The only ones that are still there are the low performers.

Back