Archived Anticipating a too-small raise - anything that can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gotten my review yet, but in the unlikely case that my raise is pathetically small (LOL!), what steps can a TM take?

Doing nothing is not an option.

...you can go up! Presentation, Electronics, Instocks, backroom, overnight, pharmacy, TL, perishable assistant, TPS, ...

...you can go up! Presentation, Electronics, Instocks, backroom, overnight, pharmacy, TL, perishable assistant, TPS, ...

I have already done that. I have one of the positions you listed. I'm not asking about how to get more money based on my performance in the future. I'm talking about my review for this past year. I want to know how to possibly dispute the amount of my raise if it is not reasonable.

Define reasonable... because it's a percentage of your current pay based upon your score. If you think you're getting a lower score than you deserve your best bet is to chat with HR. If you are getting an EX and think you deserve more, you might as well give up now. The percentage is decided by corporate and you won't get more than anyone else with that score.

At my store HR will just give you the run around no matter how good you are. Unless of course you're somehow hooked up with the Leads/Execs like a certain TM at my old store...

The first couple years I worked at Target, I got an "O" overall including attendance. Then, one year it dropped to an "EX" including attendance. I had done nothing different in that respect. No call-offs. No lates. Nothing changed. When I questioned my TL why there was a change in my score about attendance particularly, she hemmed and hawed but had no answer. Then I went to my ETL-HR and asked her. Still no answer. As much as I hate to say it, you really have no recourse but to either take what you are given or quit. In this instance, I refused to sign this particular review.

>Constantly praised by TLs
>Work as hard as possible
>Make employee of the month
>.08 raise and a score of IE

WELCOME TO TARGET! If doing nothing is not an option, then you can either try to get into a higher paying position (good luck with that right now), or quit. Those are the breaks. Target gives the worst raises out of any comparable retailer. Even wal-mart has become more charitable in that department.

I have already done that. I have one of the positions you listed. I'm not asking about how to get more money based on my performance in the future. I'm talking about my review for this past year. I want to know how to possibly dispute the amount of my raise if it is not reasonable.

Not really. I honestly believe target sees TM's in any work center as disposable, and in this economy, they're right, unfortunately. Last year I was fixing to quit after getting my review, but there are no other jobs in the area. It was either accept that I was lied to the first few months of my employment and take my review for what it was, or quit, make no money, and watch them replace me with some other poor unemployed sap that would be happy with a score of IE and an $.08 raise.

Last edited:
Nothing can be done

A few years ago I got a bad score on my review. Reason for the score was because they rated me based on being a sales floor TM. I had just become SF and the things I was not doing were things I was not trained in. Their was nothing I could do to get it changed. HR would not listen. I was not doing certain expected tasks, they did not care that I was not trained or even offered the training

Review time is coming up. Lets hope for the best lol

About 15 years ago I received a review that I totally disagreed with. I went to my ETL, nothing. Then I went to HR. I had documentation of what I had done, recognition I had been given. In other words I went in with my ducks in a row. I did prevail and my review was changed. It really wasn't about the $ to me. It was about evaluating my performance accurately. The TL who wrote the review did not care for me, I was too nice. She said no one can be in a good mood all the time and I was just trying to make her look bad. When I went to the ETL who signed the review, she admitted she didn't read it, just signed off. When she did read it, she went with me to HR and helped me get it changed. The increase was laughable but like I said I wanted to be evaluated fairly.

I signed my review last year AFTER I had written on it my disputes on a couple of matters on it. I got an O, so my pathetic raise was as big as it was going to be. Not sure it's going to be any different this year other than I am a brand team member without an area and I am a squeaky wheel.....probably not an O year.

I won that Great team hero of 4th quarter thing, and Team member of the month, I'm one of the few people in my store that they actually give 40 hours to (Excluding overnights), I've called in once in the 8months I've been working there.. And I have little to no errors every week. I'm anxious to see how small my raise is. Probably like 5 cents.

It really wasn't about the $ to me.

I feel the same way. I certainly want more money, but I knew before even being interviewed that target was stingy on raises. It just sucks that I worked hard and got constant praise from tl's only to be told that I'm "inconstantly effective", which I suppose is the politically correct way to say average, but IMO it's more insulting, as it implies that I only do my job sometimes, and I guess the rest of the time I just stare at a wall and waste air or something. I'd rather be told I'm doing a good job, but they just can't give me a higher raise, than to purposely get a bad review because they'd have to give me a higher raise if they gave me a fair review.

Raises are a joke at spot. Unless you know the right people of course. It's all politics.

It has so much to do with how your store is doing on sales too.
You can be the best performer in the place and if the store isn't hitting the mark you won't be getting much.
This probably applies to the ETL's just as much as it does to the TM's.
I've also noticed a sharp increase in coachings (I like how my dictionary doesn't recognize coachings as real word) right around this time of year, often for petty things.
Just another way to have a paper trail of proof that you don't deserve anything.

Reviews and raises have become a complete joke at spot. Their was a time hard work payed off but no longer. Is it any wonder so many people do just enough to not get fired? You have literaly no incentive at Target to work hard. None.

It hasn't just become a joke for TMs....TLs get shafted just as much, if not more so when it comes to raises. We have to write Self-Reviews and score ourselves thinking "this is what I think I'm worth" score wise, and when the ETLs then come back with their version, even the best of the best TLs are pissed at what they see. ETLs decide to write the things that the TLs need to work on and reduce their score based on that, when all we think is "why wasn't that feedback given to me during the year so that I could improve myself?" We feel the burn too.

It hasn't just become a joke for TMs....TLs get shafted just as much, if not more so when it comes to raises. We have to write Self-Reviews and score ourselves thinking "this is what I think I'm worth" score wise, and when the ETLs then come back with their version, even the best of the best TLs are pissed at what they see. ETLs decide to write the things that the TLs need to work on and reduce their score based on that, when all we think is "why wasn't that feedback given to me during the year so that I could improve myself?" We feel the burn too.

I'm not a bit surprised since it seems like Spot has pretty much put the bulk of keeping the stores running on your shoulders that they would also short change you when it comes to pay.
Not to be a broken record but I just can't see this as a workable long term plan.

TLs usually fare better. Even if an etl downgrades your score, at least they get to write their review and argue for that O. Lets be honest, TLs probably actually write their reviews instead of the copy paste bs TMs get each year.

Trust me, there is no arguing for that O for TLs, in my store anyway. I don't know what kind of Leads you have in your store, but in mine, we take a couple of weeks to write our TMs reviews, and not just Copy and Paste. We coach our TMs for improvement and not to get them out of the store or area as quickly as possible. ETLs throw a lot of **** on our shoulders so that they can sit back and BS in either the STL's office, the AP office, or the HR office. WE run the store (in my store's case anyways) and are the first ones thrown under the bus when something goes wrong during a visit. I take time to write my review since I do a lot of projects both in my store and district-wide, and I take time to write my TMs' reviews, because I know that if I were still a TM (yes I am one of those TLs who went from TM to TL so I know the crap that TMs are put through), I would want my TL to take the time to write mine.

I'm not speaking in regards to every TL, but there is a lot of copy pasting that goes on. Happened to me, had stuff in my review that made no sense, and when i challenged it, they got all shifty. Pricing is a smaller team though, I'm pretty sure most gstls at any reasonably busy stores just copy paste a bunch of bs.

A former GSTL admitted one year that she did a LOT of "cut-n-paste" because she "didn't have time" to do in-depth reviews of some of her cashiers. So I was hardly surprised when one of those cashiers (a dear friend & a hard worker) told me she'd gotten the same review/score for 3 yrs running & finally had enough. She left after landing a PT job with the state that eventually turned into FT.
I keep checking with her to see if there's any openings.

I've seen people who got a $0.02 raise before. Reviews are a joke. I refused to sign mine last year, and disputed it all the way to the STL (oh, and my TL didn't write it, our former ETL-HL did, who was fired and gone by the time reviews were given, so my TL didn't think I deserved it either). The ETL-HR was new. The STL was new. There was no ETL-HL. My TL was new. I got completely screwed - and everyone I talked to (TLs) couldn't believe my score, but short of them going to bat for me unanimously I don't think it would have done anything.

I expect not to sign it this year as well. The one thing I know you cannot expect at my store is fairness.

Also - the review processes are jokes. JOKES. It is the absolute worst assessment system I have ever seen. If I knew who to write to at corporate about it, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back