Archived Black pants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, well, California also says we can't drop pallets of merchandise in front of fire exits or stand on flat carts, but guess what we do on a daily basis? HR flat out says in orientation that no, you can't wear black pants, and unless you think the state DoL is going to waste time on this, that's the standard as it exists.
If the State of California DoL can fine the store they might be very interested.;)

This whole thread is hilarious. It's definitely an ASANTS thing. My store probably has one of the loosest interpretations of the red & khaki dress code. Shirts so dark red they look black; all shades of red, even ones that are really more orange or pink; stripes, plaids, flowers are all fine, even if red or a red variant isn't the main color - it's all condoned. I've seen my STL wear jeans with "creative" rips and holes; must be a favorite pair because she wears them often. We might as well not even have a dress code.

Yes, definitely ASANTS. At my orientation over a year ago, I was told that black pants were the only other acceptable color we could wear. Last summer we were allowed to wear capri pants and shorts that went down to your knee. Of course the shorts privilege was abused so no shorts or capris this summer.

Black is acceptable at my store if you either run out of clean khakis or for some reason have to replace your pants mid shift because half the time there’s no khakis in RTW. As long as they’re not skin tight or ripped, and an appropriate length they don’t care.

I wear brown jeans, and a lot of other folks at my store do too.

No one ever told me anything.

Goodfellow Co makes some good everyday jeans.

By my definition, they're "khaki colored sweatpants."

"Black khakis." THEY'RE CALLED PANTS! Ask softlines for black khakis, and see how easy that goes. Jeans, slacks, leggings, but the style of "khaki" is literally defined by color.
how unreasonably annoyed you got by this silly conversation about khakis and pants is hilariously stupid...you're like that one friend no one wants to invite to the party lol....

on subject though: black slacks/trousers look so much better than brown khakis anyday...but ya know...they feel and look almost identical to "black khakis" which is how I see slacks advertised all too often as such. whatever the case getting your black khaki panties in a bunch over terminology used by consumers vs some kind of not really objective standard terminology used by the clothing industry is hilarious and reminds me of me when I've had a few too many and want to argue over the smallest thing on the interwebs.

Last edited:
how unreasonably annoyed you got by this silly conversation about khakis and pants is hilariously stupid...you're like that one friend no one wants to invite to the party lol....

on subject though: black slacks/trousers look so much better than brown khakis anyday...but ya know...they feel and look almost identical to "black khakis" which is how I see slacks advertised all too often as such. whatever the case getting your black khaki panties in a bunch over terminology used by consumers vs some kind of not really objective standard terminology used by the clothing industry is hilarious and reminds me of me when I've had a few too many and want to argue over the smallest thing on the interwebs.

Thanks for your 2 cents thay don't make your point totally ironic.

That’s not what I meant and you know it. We all picture a certain type of fabric when we picture khakis. By YOUR definition, beige sweatpants are khakis.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

*i know I said I wasn’t gonna post anymore but what can I say I’m a liar

Khaki is a color, a light shade of greyish-brown with a yellowish tinge.

Style would be skinny, straight or bootcut.

Why are we still going on about this? If you all want to wear black bootcut pants and maroon shirts knock yourself out. Target brand is red and khaki colors. While the handbook says dark maybe worn; most stores enforce brand colors.

Do me a favor and stay out of softlines

Technically you can wear black pants as long as they're not yoga/lycra or jeans. However, in my experience, any TM not wearing khaki will never move up into any leadership role and will be on every ETLs bad side.

Here is a photo of the Dress Code straight from the TM Handbook:
Dress Code.jpg

HR flat out says in orientation that no, you can't wear black pants, and unless you think the state DoL is going to waste time on this, that's the standard as it exists.

It is worrisome that some other Cali stores' HR Teams are saying things like, "no black pants." Nobody on my current HR team would ever dare to say "khaki pants only" during orientation. Target actually has a document that tells all California and Washington store HR Teams that there is to be no retaliation against anybody who chooses not to wear khaki. Leaders and HR must adhere to this no retaliation policy. Target is serious about not wanting to get sued in these two states.

If someone was to tape the case law up in the break room over and over again, I suspect HR would have to shut the hell up. In Washington it has been brought to the state DoL and the employees won.

Each store in California is supposed to have a Compliance board/wall in a section that is visible to all employees in the store. There is information about rights, minimum wage, worker's compensation, dress code, etc. For dress code, it is a poster with photos and text that literally says that it is ok to wear any "solid colored pants (preferably khaki)". Any CA store that doesn't have all of that information posted would fail the compliance portion during an HR audit by HQ.

Last edited:
Khaki is a color, a light shade of greyish-brown with a yellowish tinge.
Khaki is also a type of fabric long before becoming known for the color so SOME of us still recognize it as such & some places STILL sell khaki-weight slacks in various colors:

Khaki pants are a wardrobe basic for men, women and children. This versatile style is appropriate for casual wear as well as many dress occasions. Named for the Indian word for tan, the color of dust, and made of natural fibers such as cotton, wool and linen, this garment can vary in color from very light to dark.

Last edited:
On another note, can a TM wear their black "new and only at" T-shirt on any given day w/o any red shirt or cardigan. It has the Target logo.

Khaki is also a type of fabric long before becoming known for the color so SOME of us still recognize it as such & some places STILL sell khaki-weight slacks in various colors:

Khaki pants are a wardrobe basic for men, women and children. This versatile style is appropriate for casual wear as well as many dress occasions. Named for the Indian word for tan, the color of dust, and made of natural fibers such as cotton, wool and linen, this garment can vary in color from very light to dark.

In a TLDR fashion, Khaki is a fabric style AND color.

In a TLDR fashion, Khaki is a fabric style AND color.

Khaki is a lifestyle!!!!
XS-SOL-GD-1-1.jpg

Ironically, that suit doesn't qualify as "Khaki" because it's the wrong fabric. Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back