Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Never key in the card number. You could have called for a front end leader to help you with the guest after you suspended the transaction. It takes less than 5 minutes to reset the pin on the phone and I have reset enough of them for guests.
This. I never have and never will present that as an option. It’s a really bad idea and may even be a violation of our agreement with visa, Mc , etc. not even sure why the option is there.

This. I never have and never will present that as an option. It’s a really bad idea and may even be a violation of our agreement with visa, Mc , etc. not even sure why the option is there.
If I have a guest insist that I enter in the card number, I just tell them it can't be done and everything is tied to the chip. Not lying.

it’s not a violation of our agreements. there’s no issue with keying in the card number. RedCard will always decline if you key it in though.

Most chip cards will
If they key in the number (non red card which will always decline keyed in) and use it as a pin transaction it will go through 50%+ of the time. If they key in a non debit it will go through 25%+ of the time especially if the dollar amount is low. If the dollar amount is over $100 and keyed in by guest per the prompt it rarely goes through. Since non red cards have magnetic strips as a back up it would have to not read the chip and not read the mag strip. There are still some guests with non chip cards of one sort or another so in that case only the magnetic strip would have to fail to read in order for the key in prompt.

At a previous job we were told to not manually input numbers without trying three times minimum because merchant services charge a higher rate for hand typing than for swipe. Maybe that's why certain amounts fail. Most merchant service have a similar pricing.

I just want to make sure that I'm clear, I only key in the card when the card reader stops accepting the chip and it won't even say "Please wait" or whatever the message that appears was. This usually happens after the guest inserts their card at least three times. At my store, this never goes through under any circumstances (RedCard or otherwise) and the guest must put in their chip after the card reader is "reset". Otherwise, the guest would be stuck and unable to pay. Sometimes, swiping the card works but in cases that it won't, the guest wouldn't be able to pay and it would cause a needless delay and anger guests waiting in line.

I just want to make sure that I'm clear, I only key in the card when the card reader stops accepting the chip and it won't even say "Please wait" or whatever the message that appears was. This usually happens after the guest inserts their card at least three times. At my store, this never goes through under any circumstances (RedCard or otherwise) and the guest must put in their chip after the card reader is "reset". Otherwise, the guest would be stuck and unable to pay. Sometimes, swiping the card works but in cases that it won't, the guest wouldn't be able to pay and it would cause a needless delay and anger guests waiting in line.
We were told to never key in the card and the guest needs to insert their card in the reader. No, if's and or but's. Most issues are related to the card, either the card company denies the transaction or the guest needs a new card. Both issues are the responsibility of the guest and there is a number on the back of their card for them to call.

We were told to never key in the card and the guest needs to insert their card in the reader. No, if's and or but's. Most issues are related to the card, either the card company denies the transaction or the guest needs a new card. Both issues are the responsibility of the guest and there is a number on the back of their card for them to call.
I'll have to ask someone in leadership about this because I've never been told not to key in the card. This could be a case where my store is more lenient and wants guests to get out before waiting too long no matter what.

this!

I'll have to ask someone in leadership about this because I've never been told not to key in the card. This could be a case where my store is more lenient and wants guests to get out before waiting too long no matter what.
There is a reason there is a chip reader and not employees entering in credit card numbers. I bet most in leadership will not know. One of the reasons the guest enters in their card is for convenience and to prevent credit card fraud. When you enter the card number they are not being asked to enter in their pin on the card reader. Each transaction with a chip card is issued a certain code. You stated in your earlier post that you had a guest take two hours trying to get her red card to work and then you say your store wants them out without having to wait too long. My two-cents would have been to turn off my light, call the number on the back of the card, get to the part of the phone menu where they forgot their pin and have them enter in the appropriate info. I've done it many times and it takes five minutes.

There is a reason there is a chip reader and not employees entering in credit card numbers. I bet most in leadership will not know. One of the reasons the guest enters in their card is for convenience and to prevent credit card fraud. When you enter the card number they are not being asked to enter in their pin on the card reader. Each transaction with a chip card is issued a certain code. You stated in your earlier post that you had a guest take two hours trying to get her red card to work and then you say your store wants them out without having to wait too long. My two-cents would have been to turn off my light, call the number on the back of the card, get to the part of the phone menu where they forgot their pin and have them enter in the appropriate info. I've done it many times and it takes five minutes.
I would have done that if I were the cashier but I was closing the registers (long story about not wanting to do carts and the team member who was supposed to close the registers had to go out to get carts) when the cashier who was checking out this particular guest called me. Thus, I don't know how the cashier and guest interacted and to be honest, the guest was on her phone with all of her items in bags so I assumed that she had checked out and was waiting for her ride. Only when the cashier scanned the suspend slip and explained what happened did I realize she was having problems with her card.
If I had known about this, I would have tried to help her, but you know how some guests get offended because they think they don't need your help to call RedCard services or their own card company.

Edit: I realize that I said "I had a guest..." so that would make it seem like I was cashiering when this happened so I apologize since I wasn't clear. I meant that I saw this happen when the guest became angry after attempting to call RedCard services.

there’s no inherent risk to allowing the guest to key in the card number if their card doesn’t work. it’s a legitimate option, that’s why the button exists. it’s no different than purchasing something on Target.com; it’s just a card-not-present transaction. also — the guest still handles everything on the card reader. they key in the information themselves, not the team member.

Anyone else who processes ship to store getting empty boxes? We can tell they were cut open and regaled, but high priced merch is missing in multiple boxes now.. We’ve been partnering with the appropriate teams to see where the boxes are being picked through. Just kinda wondering if it’s happened to anyone else this holiday season 😕

Anyone else who processes ship to store getting empty boxes? We can tell they were cut open and regaled, but high priced merch is missing in multiple boxes now.. We’ve been partnering with the appropriate teams to see where the boxes are being picked through. Just kinda wondering if it’s happened to anyone else this holiday season 😕
Yes it has

So, they are sending empty boxes, or the stuff goes missing at your store?
We’re getting empty boxes delivered to our store.
I assume the person packing stole the item and sent and empty box. Hard to replicate or reseal the Target tape.
That’s just it tho, the Target tape was cut on at least one package.. UPS and FedEx have to hire seasonal help just like we do. Not saying it’s them, but the possibility is there.

Follow up question - is it getting more common to not get a packing slip in the ship to store boxes? We’ve received several with no slips but full of product. Some in empty boxes as well, but that’s much less common.

Follow up question - is it getting more common to not get a packing slip in the ship to store boxes? We’ve received several with no slips but full of product. Some in empty boxes as well, but that’s much less common.
Yes there are 350 test stores without packing slips and pretty sure they’re the enhanced SFS locations so they ship a large majority of the packages. Also sometimes I forgot and don’t include it. They’re not necessary.

We do not use packing slips at my store and we send a lot to other stores for STS. Use bottom barcode on the shipping label

Back