Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

New touchscreen POSs still have K keys though.

As for NCR techs idk how they’re paid but I do know it’s not in their best interest to keep coming back to one store. They wanna get in and out as fast as possible. Compucom techs are usually wayyyy better

Walmart's registers and SCOs seem to have a 1000000000% uptime and are always very snappy. I remember from working there the equipment being very stable and dependable, random crashes were simply not something you had to worry about. Every other company I've worked at has paled in comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if they do all or most of their equipment maintenance in-house.

I don't get it. All these companies have money, but only Walmart seems willing to spend the money required to keep everything running smoothly. Every other company runs with dogshit software that barely works on a good day. Are they really saving money in the long run? Probably not!

New touchscreen POSs still have K keys though.

As for NCR techs idk how they’re paid but I do know it’s not in their best interest to keep coming back to one store. They wanna get in and out as fast as possible. Compucom techs are usually wayyyy better
Yeah they’re rolling out the screens and hardware to new stores and throughout the next two years so when the new pos software launches all stores will already have the proper Hardware. For now it just seems silly and I still use the keyboard not the touch screen.

Walmart's registers and SCOs seem to have a 1000000000% uptime and are always very snappy. I remember from working there the equipment being very stable and dependable, random crashes were simply not something you had to worry about. Every other company I've worked at has paled in comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if they do all or most of their equipment maintenance in-house.

I don't get it. All these companies have money, but only Walmart seems willing to spend the money required to keep everything running smoothly. Every other company runs with dogshit software that barely works on a good day. Are they really saving money in the long run? Probably not!
Walmart I believe uses skinned NCR software (what we used before “new SCO”)
Yeah they’re rolling out the screens and hardware to new stores and throughout the next two years so when the new pos software launches all stores will already have the proper Hardware. For now it just seems silly and I still use the keyboard not the touch screen.
are you saying that in two years they’re going to replace keyboard to not have k keys? Or k keys will still exist just play a less prominent role?

Walmart I believe uses skinned NCR software (what we used before “new SCO”)

are you saying that in two years they’re going to replace keyboard to not have k keys? Or k keys will still exist just play a less prominent role?
Not positive but I don’t believe they’ll be the main function for day to day like they are now. The keyboard that this new store had still had K keys but they keyboard layout was different. They keyboards will remain the same now but I assume the K keys will just be irrelevant and you’ll only use the touch screen unless you’re filling out tax exempt and the number pad. Not 100% sure he didn’t give me details he just said it’s the biggest update and overal they’ve done since the current software was implemented.

POS is so old that they probably need to start over to fix many of the problems that exist within it

I can’t even imagine what the code looks like....

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the lead software engineers while at a new store. Some exciting things in the pipeline for 2019 including an entire POS refresh that is geared towards touch screen so he said by the end of 2019 all stores will be touch screen with a brand new POS.
We just got touch screen POS installed at my store last night. It’s kinda cool

We just got touch screen POS installed at my store last night. It’s kinda cool
They’re cool and for now that really it. Anyone who’s worked at target for more than a couple months is already routined and has the muscle memory for the K keys so I find it way easier than using the touch screen. I’m sure I’ll change my mind when there’s a POS software centered around the touch screen and not the other way around.

They’re cool and for now that really it. Anyone who’s worked at target for more than a couple months is already routined and has the muscle memory for the K keys so I find it way easier than using the touch screen. I’m sure I’ll change my mind when there’s a POS software centered around the touch screen and not the other way around.

I use the touch screen for returns and such a lot at Guest Service. It’s started to become muscle memory for me just like the K keys so honestly I don’t mind them becoming touch screen as long as they don’t fully do away with the keyboard because there are times where its needed.

Currently over 8,000 Commits in Git. (2yr old Repo)
Source folder contains over 100 services written in C/C++
Not surprising considering how many updates & add-ons have been kludged together.
The whole system is slowing to a burgeoning crawl.

Then it will do the same thing again the next morning, but they still keep it open.

giphy.gif

Is it just my store or is it a general Target thing that everytime someone sells a Red Card the GSA gets on the walkie to let the entire store know that TM Jan sold a Red Card, congrats Jan. It's obnoxious. No one on the floor or in the back cares. We don't need to know this information.

Is it just my store or is it a general Target thing that everytime someone sells a Red Card the GSA gets on the walkie to let the entire store know that TM Jan sold a Red Card, congrats Jan. It's obnoxious. No one on the floor or in the back cares. We don't need to know this information.
That’s communication at Spot. Stuff that no one cares about, wants to know or needs to know is broadcast at 110 decibels over the walkie all day long, but just try to get a question answered that you need to do your job, and it’s dead silence and a stink eye coming up...😂

My store used to do this, but it hasn't been a thing for at least two years.

My store has recently started doing it again. I always assumed it was to let LOD know that we had an app, rather than the entire floor.

My store has recently started doing it again. I always assumed it was to let LOD know that we had an app, rather than the entire floor.

I think if they just wanted the LOD to know, they wouldn't call out the TM specifically. I don't know. It's weird. They don't announce praise for TMs in other workcenters. There's no "Everyone, Bill just went out to grab carts because we didn't schedule an attendant today. Thanks, Bill." Or, "Team, Helen volunteered to help stock infants after she finished all of her section early today. Thanks, Helen."

I mean, that would still be obnoxious. But, at least that's stuff that people on the floor and in the back care about. My GSAs just like to prattle on about Red Cards all day. "Team, remember that when you're helping a guest on the sales floor you can tell them how much they can save on it with a Red Card!" How about piss off and no?

Last edited:
The best part is most of the cashiers don’t have a walkie so they have no idea they were praised and it really was for nothing 🙃

The best part is most of the cashiers don’t have a walkie so they have no idea they were praised and it really was for nothing 🙃

It is funny when I'm helping cashier and I do have a walkie on. Happened today. I went up to help a guest with a way overfull cart. GSA on the walkie as I'm starting to help the guest, "Team when you come up to put guests first and help on the checkout lanes that's a great time to get a prize for getting the guest to sign up for a Red Card." The guest looked me right in the eye and deadpanned, "That better be one hell of a prize."

Does anyone know the SAP # for the cartwheel promo material to hand out at registers? It's like a booklet of a quick summary of how to use cartwheel? You tear one off and give it to the guest?

Back