Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

my favorite part about guest services is registries I think

i love helping them set it up, giving them their little checklist and baby bag and taking them to get a free drink from Starbucks

It only takes me about 8 hours to train someone at Guest Services. If you're quick on your feet you can easily pick it up in one or two shifts. I think @OneArmedJesus mentioned product knowledge, selling, and guest servicing is why Electronics, Beauty, and Apparel make more than base and Starbucks/Cafe/Market make more than base to account for the additional food safety and product handling training that's required to work in those areas.
Ice by training, you mean processing basic returns, I agree.

But guest service way more than that. So far in beauty, I see them able to talk about organic, etc., but mostly they stand and watch for shoplifters. Lol...it's a horrid position.

yeah free sbux is not a thing at my store, nor are the checklists, and we're almost always out of those stupid registry bags (yes, we RFID, but they just don't send us enough)
my favorite part about guest services is registries I think

i love helping them set it up, giving them their little checklist and baby bag and taking them to get a free drink from Starbucks

Free Starbucks? Wow!

yeah, it's something that our old GE started and I really think it's something that's really gonna elevate that guest's registry experience. i love being a part of the process, it's so fun. they only get a grande sized beverage tho.

Ice by training, you mean processing basic returns, I agree.

But guest service way more than that. So far in beauty, I see them able to talk about organic, etc., but mostly they stand and watch for shoplifters. Lol...it's a horrid position.

most of the policy is super easy to learn. i usually spent about 2 hours going over it with them and having them shadow me for transactions. after that, they're on their own for about 6 hours and i'll be on standby to answer any questions. you have to throw people into guest services because it's a lot of case-by-case situations and i find it hard to talk about hypothetically in most cases.

All this sounds like is an excuse for a GSTL that can't work on prioritizing tasks whenever you have downtime. Salesfloor departments should be working their own reshop, unless that's changed since I've left spot. They can't honestly expect cashiers to stock bullseye, so that right there's just fucking retarded and makes no sense.

Yeah, that device that you use whenever you need to. Meanwhile electronics gets yelled at if they walk past a guest that was looking at games, because that's "a missed sale", when they're already helping another guest.

This whole quote is just bullshit, only time I or anyone on the salesfloor at my store sent someone up to guest service was when it was something we just couldn't do, like helping with large returns or grabbing their online orders.
Don't try to act like a special snowflake by saying "We're the only ones dealing with angry guests", that's just another level of stupid, sales floor deals with angry guests for dumb reasons like "brickseek said you had this item! brickseek is always accurate!".
Let's not forget pushing the truck, zoning with strict time regimens, department-specific training, crosstraining everywhere else to cover breaks, being the go-to for literally everything besides guest service.

Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk.

My store is run terribly, everyone knows it. GS has to do 5 pulls a day for bullseye and they pack that shit to the max. My store team members send all their guests to guest service and they even admit it to me later on they did it because they don’t want to deal with them. My managment at my store is the worst managment ever and i’m shocked it’s not shut down. I worked electronics up until the past few months and I would much rather be there than guest service.

GS has to do 5 pulls a day for bullseye and they pack that shit to the max.

I don't know who is responsible for Bullseye. I think GS because they've been having a new OPU TM stock it, at least lately. We have some shelves that are completely bare. So I'm guessing we'll have alot available for clearance AFTER Halloween.

Our one spot is in a completely opposite spot from Guest Service, so luckily we don’t get stuck with it. It is generally the GSA or GSTLs job. They come in to an entire uBoat full and then go back and fill up to 4 tubs of merchandise depending on the if our STL or GE is there. If for some reason we have a surplus of cashiers, we’ll send one over to help us push it or zone it.

I managed to deter some serious gift card fraud yesterday at self checkout with the help of the cashier who was overseeing it along with AP :D

Slowly finding my feet with the position, it’s not the worst thing in the world...yet. I just can’t wait when I have to open at 6am or close till almost 1am.

At my store we have someone scheduled under GS hours before opening (7am-3:30pm) to do dollar. They usually finish around 10, they can either go home or spend the rest of their shift in guest service. We also have the GS opener at 8 and the drive up TM at 8, and the “OPU” TM comes in at 9. So sometimes we’ll have 4 people in guest service.

At my store we have someone scheduled under GS hours before opening (7am-3:30pm) to do dollar. They usually finish around 10, they can either go home or spend the rest of their shift in guest service. We also have the GS opener at 8 and the drive up TM at 8, and the “OPU” TM comes in at 9. So sometimes we’ll have 4 people in guest service.
this sounds like a dream. we’re high volume and are lucky to have an opener, closer, and a mid. most times i close, i’m alone after 3:30. we don’t even have enough reliable guest service tms to schedule like that though lmaooo training is nonexistent because front end is like the lowest priority here. it took me six months to actually be scheduled and actually train over there for more than an hour or to cover somebody’s meal.

for some reason they love to give guest service more responsibilites and take our hours and give them to other work centers : )

Closing sucks though because all the people who opened are gone by 4 and we have one person scheduled under service desk, one under order pickup, and one under drive up and they all start at 4 to close. It really sucks trying to configure our lunches when we all started at the same time and there can’t be less than 2 people in there at one time. One of us ends up having to go really early like around 7:15 to be back so someone can go at 8 and then someone has to push it close to their 5th and go at 8:45

We never ever have more than one person at guest service, and it’s been heinously busy lately, so backup button it is in hopes that hardlines or market will take pity on us when we have a huge line. Plus, we are expected to ring out guests’ full carts of stuff when the line at SCO is getting long or if they don’t want to use SCO. Leaves pretty much no time for defectives during the day

Hello!

Ive been at Target for a month officially. I’m at guest services and I had a few questions that I thought I’d ask here.

1. If someone came up saying they got overcharged and they did, in your opinion, what’s the best way to fix it?

2. If they missed scanning their Cartwheel, what’s the best way to fix that?

Cause honestly I’ve just been voiding the transaction and redoing it. Just because that’s what most GS TMs do.

And if you have any tips or things you had to learn the hard way I’d love to hear!

Hello!

Ive been at Target for a month officially. I’m at guest services and I had a few questions that I thought I’d ask here.

1. If someone came up saying they got overcharged and they did, in your opinion, what’s the best way to fix it?

Cause honestly I’ve just been voiding the transaction and redoing it. Just because that’s what most GS TMs do.

And if you have any tips or things you had to learn the hard way I’d love to hear!

Instead of voiding the transaction, it's better to use the "Fix a mistake" option for both of those issues. There are options specifically for wrong price and missed cartwheel.

scan receipt, k6 fix a mistake, k5 wrong price

it'll credit the difference back unless they used a redcard, in which case you'll need to return and rebuy

don't void the whole transaction, especially if they paid with a debit card

Hello!

First ones easy.... Fix a mistake, wrong price.

Second one I’ll take case by case. If it’s a small amount or a credit card and a ton of cartwheels I’ll do wrong payment. If it’s a couple items I’ll do the math and do missed coupon. I’ll always warn them though both charges might pend but only one should go through.

Hello!

1) As others have said k5 fix a mistake k6 wrong price. if it's a few bucks, make it right and just do it. if they come up and are like this was supposed to be $50 cheaper, walkie and verify signs on the floor.

2) One item, return, rebuy with cartwheel. multiple items, k5 fix a mistake, k? wrong payment. inform the guest they'll be credited back for the first charge, and recharged the lower price. scan cartwheel, have the guest repay. Note: don't do this if a guest used manf coupons or GCs unless you wanna go back to the original lane and grab them.
If it’s a couple items I’ll do the math and do missed coupon..
noooooooooo do wrong price if you're gonna do that so that if they return it they get the correct value back.

Back