Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

No more laws please. There are enough problems enforcing the ones we have.

Sorry man it doesn't work that way.
When scumbags come up with new ways of fucking people over we have to come up with new laws to deal with it.
Otherwise you just give assholes free reign to hurt people.
Or are you one of those magic thinkers who believe with all your heart that the free market will sort things out?
The free market gave us fun things like smog so thick in LA you couldn't see the sunset or the great lakes catching on fire.
The free market was the basis for Upton Sinclair's book The Jungle (both in terms of food and labor).
Yeah, we need laws.

Last edited:
Sorry man it doesn't work that way.
When scumbags come up with new ways of fucking people over we have to come up with new laws to deal with it.
Otherwise you just give assholes free rain to hurt people.
Or are you one of those magic thinkers who believe with all your heart that the free market will sort things out?
The free market gave us fun things like smog so thick in LA you couldn't see the sunset or the great lakes catching on fire.
The free market was the basis for Upton Sinclair's book The Jungle (both in terms of food and labor).
Yeah, we need laws.

Oh, I forgot the free market dried up the Aral Sea. Unarguably the worst ecological disaster. Did the free market do that?

All I'm saying is that we have thousands and thousands of laws that have enforcement problems. Now we need more laws to send more people to jail. Or better yet, put more into debt with fees, court costs, bail, etc.

Did I say buying water and reselling it during a disaster was right? It isn't. Doesn't mean everything wrong should be against the law.

All day on Christmas Eve:

TM, what’s your location? Guest first.

TM, can you grab that call box? No, I’m at guest first

TM, can you help me out with a guest in toys? No, I’m at guest first.

When a guest does a same day return with a receipt that they used a check payment on, do you guys give them the merch card or do you override to cash? The register always prompts to merch card and the guest (always old ladies) will throw a fit because they “paid with cash” and “should get their cash back” and so we always override it. How can I explain to them the reasoning of why they shouldn’t get cash?

When a guest does a same day return with a receipt that they used a check payment on, do you guys give them the merch card or do you override to cash? The register always prompts to merch card and the guest (always old ladies) will throw a fit because they “paid with cash” and “should get their cash back” and so we always override it. How can I explain to them the reasoning of why they shouldn’t get cash?

if it's a small amount i'll override it to cash, but generally they're getting a merch card or need to come back when the check clears.

i believe this is printed on the receipt when you do a check payment.

Checks don’t usually clear until around 10 days after the check was used at the register, so technically the guest hasn’t paid Target for the items until the check has cleared. This is a protection on Target’s end so that if the guest has used a fraudulent or bad check they are protected by not giving out cash for this kind of return

Old ladies are Baby Boomers and they know quite well that check ≠ cash. Their generation was the one that came up with the concept that if you need some extra money before payday you write a check to the business and come back later that day for a cash return. So the upset when they say "paid with cash" is all an act.

Honestly curious what foods it didn't prompt you to defect?
Off the top of my head? Canned goods. Some cereals. Granola/energy bars (Clif, Nature Valley, Kind, etc). Cooking oil.

And yes, when I think of it, I do over-ride to toss. But I don't always think of it because I don't work GS as much as I used to and the line is usually all the way to SCO by the time I get sent up to help.

Off the top of my head? Canned goods. Some cereals. Granola/energy bars (Clif, Nature Valley, Kind, etc). Cooking oil.

And yes, when I think of it, I do over-ride to toss. But I don't always think of it because I don't work GS as much as I used to and the line is usually all the way to SCO by the time I get sent up to help.
Yeah this usually (not always) canned and dry goods that aren’t opened can get reshopped

Back