Archived Cashier Speed Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the cashier speed metric was always broken to begin with. It was less a measure of line speed than it was a measure of how good the cashier was at gaming the system. I once had a streak of more than 150 consecutive green transaction by following a few simple rules:

1. If the guest has a large order or looks unorganized talk to them about the redcard while organizing items on the belt before scanning. (Not faster in real time, but it games the computer)
2. Remove all hangers before scanning anything, tissue wrap glass/ceramic items after pressing total. (Still not faster, just makes the transaction green)
3. Any delay of any kind ex. price check, guest can't find card, guest digging in wallet/purse for coin etc. warrants a suspend. Even if I just suspend it and then immediately pull it back up. (Causes the system to not count it as a transaction for speed purpose)

None of those actually made things faster in fact mostly it made the transaction slower, but it came up green every time.

Yup at my score you got coached if you didnt suspend slow transactions.

My store actually doesn't really stress our cashier speed much. No idea why, but they don't. No actual documented and written to paper coaches ever. Usually if our GSTL or GSA notices a cashier is in the R and under 80% they'll usually have them turn their light off and talk for about 2-3 minutes about it and asking them "How can we make you improve?" etc etc.

Correct @Xanatos , no R/G score and the metric will be removed from the key performance index and the cashier service report. There is a company wide email sent out regarding the details.

And it's totally true Front End leadership does use that heavily to evaluate...guess I'll just have to eagle eye my cashiers more.

I've been a p/t cashier for 3 years. Never had any problem with speed scores until a combination of the chip and the update last May when things like scanning gift cards, going into and out of price inquiry, and indicating cash somehow added an extra 3-8 seconds on those transactions. My speed score dropped from 93-96 average down to 88 average most weeks and sometimes a little lower. The chip problem is getting better as less people pull it out too soon but I still have many guests that get the chip read error on the first attempt and a few get the message multiple times. I really struggle to get up to 90-92 and then when I do, I get the guest who is digging for change or has to go through her wallet 3 times looking for her red card or a gift card or has trouble pulling up his cartwheel bar code or hadn't started scanning for cartwheel or has a kid come up with an extra item and pulls out the card so I can go back and add the item. I also have guests after I push total who want me to go back and check if a sale price or promotion applied and that almost always drops that transaction into red. The coupon update and going back to verify an item or price adds just enough seconds to push additional transactions into the red. I don't like to game the system so I wont to immediately go for suspend when they start to search through the purse because I don't know if it is going to take them 5 seconds or 45 seconds. If they are quick, it makes the transaction take longer (although my score is better) and I don't want to hold up guests unnecessarily. Same with Cartwheel. If they make it clear they are scanning all 25 items, I will suspend but if they only have 4 or 5, I know it will make me red but it will also hold up the guests and the guests behind that guest on top of the time for the cartwheel scans.

I don't think they should disregard it all together because it is a helpful metric but I think another 5-10 seconds should be added to still be green and/or the acceptable should drop to 85- 88.

Then they can go as slow as they please and rely on the rest of the store to pick up the slack.

Not entirely fair. There are plenty of slow cashiers who game the system by suspending transactions to keep a high score.

SPEED
ACCURACY
RED CARD
SURVEY

I remember speed scores years ago. It basically tracked scanning speed up until Total. So you wouldn't be penalized for the guest fumbling around for payment. It was very easy to have 95%. Anything below basically meant the cashier was just standing there.

Removed completely. So, no G/R on the register at all?
Your GSA or GSTL can actually turn it off themselves. It's under the K4 function, I used to do it when a specific cashier clocked in for there shift because of their handicap.

To me the cashier speed metric was always broken to begin with. It was less a measure of line speed than it was a measure of how good the cashier was at gaming the system. I once had a streak of more than 150 consecutive green transaction by following a few simple rules:

1. If the guest has a large order or looks unorganized talk to them about the redcard while organizing items on the belt before scanning. (Not faster in real time, but it games the computer)
2. Remove all hangers before scanning anything, tissue wrap glass/ceramic items after pressing total. (Still not faster, just makes the transaction green)
3. Any delay of any kind ex. price check, guest can't find card, guest digging in wallet/purse for coin etc. warrants a suspend. Even if I just suspend it and then immediately pull it back up. (Causes the system to not count it as a transaction for speed purpose)

None of those actually made things faster in fact mostly it made the transaction slower, but it came up green every time.
You do realize you pretty much just quoted best practice ;) LOL

Generally, Target does not develop leadership well, soooo, removing a coaching crutch like the cashier speed report will practically put an end to coaching cashiers on speed.
I was thinking the same thing until I thought about the people in my store that had low cashier speeds. These same people leaned on the registers or stood there and talked when there were other things to do. So bye bye coaching for speed and hello coaching for loafing I would say.

Truth. We shouldn't be yelling at backup cashiers about their speed. We already know they want to move quickly so they can get back to what they were doing. Plus it's not their main job. I wouldn't expect a cashier to zone as quickly as a veteran sales floor team member; I might tell them to move quicker so they know what a good pace is, but I know they won't give the same results.
I wouldn't completely agree, when we're slow and I see that there are ample cashiers up front I'll ask the GSTL to pull one of them to zone market, accessories, or girls. If I go back through and it's not zoned properly, and I know they've been trained how to do it the right way, I'm still going to hold them accountable for it.

I'm interested to see how the front end leaders will evaluate their team. GSTLs and the ETL-GE tend to hold their team accountable based on metrics alone.
There'll probably be even more of a focus on Redcards now "dunh, dunh,dunh" "lighting in the background" lol

Why not just train cashiers to be faster? One of the biggest complaints I hear is slow checkout speeds. Particularly done hours are being cut to absurd levels and lines are getting longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back