Archived compliance = corrective action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In May I was pulled into my ETL's office to discuss a meal break violation that had occurred about two weeks earlier. She had me write on a paper the reason I hit my 5th and initial. If it matters, I was scheduled a half hour earlier than I usually was because the sbux DM was coming in that day, it slipped my mind and I clocked out 5 minutes late for lunch, but had no idea until the meeting with my ETL. She explained that I would be put on Corrective Action if HR approved it and that it was "no big deal" as long as I didn't do it again for 6 months. A week later she let my know that HR approved it. No one has talked to me about it since and I was never given any information about it.
My problem is I need to transfer because I'm moving, but I understand with a CA that is not possible. I plan on talking to my ETL about it as soon as I see her next, she is working in another store temporarily so it is hard to catch her. I am debating talking to HR first.

My question is does a first compliance usually warrant a CA? Or maybe this was just compliance and she used the wrong term?

Last edited:
In my store a first violation is a coaching; however, a second one (especially in the same week) can lead to a corrective action. Compliance violationare taken very seriously since Target can be fined a hefty amount.

In my 3+ years I was verbally coached on multiple violations (spread out though), never got a CCA.

You shouldn't have any trouble transferring if that is the only thing you have on your record, CA or not. As long as you have a good reputation with coming in on time and not having any other issues, they'll approve a transfer. I hit compliance twice in the six years of working with Target and transferred three times. The store you're transferring to just wants to know if you're a reliable team member.

In my store a first violation is a coaching; however, a second one (especially in the same week) can lead to a corrective action. Compliance violationare taken very seriously since Target can be fined a hefty amount.

In my state it's funny how strict Target is in their interpretation of the meal and break laws. A co-worker of mine who worked at another large retailer in the state told me that as long as they took a lunch during their shift (if their shift exceeded 5 hours) they were fine. The laws clearly state this as well. So, why they are so focused on it doesn't make sense.

Either way, Target does take compliance very seriously. Take your lunch at 4.5 hours without apologies (especially when you're a TM, TLs push it all the time just because we're often directed to, especially in waiting until 4.75 hrs or 4 hrs 55 minutes).

At our store it has to be before your 6th hour of work. The ETL-HR says "if you've been here for 5 and a half hours you need to punch out. Either for a meal or for the day. If you're scheduled longer than 5.5 hours, please just punch out for a meal." So yeah. We still have some compliance every now and then. Usually just people losing track of time.

Then you better punch out as soon as your time hits. If the closing LOD says you have to stay and inform him/her that you would need to take a meal first in order to avoid compliance - that should make him/her let you go. If you still have to stay and you hit compliance, then immediately speak to your STL and ETL-HR and inform them that you told the closing LOD that you had to go and if you were being made to stay that you would have to take a meal in order to avoid compliance, which the LOD ignored and you ended up in compliance. You still may get a coaching, but the LOD would get reamed out more (possibly - depending on if Leadership is all "buddy buddy" and sticks up for one another no matter what).

At our store it has to be before your 6th hour of work. The ETL-HR says "if you've been here for 5 and a half hours you need to punch out. Either for a meal or for the day. If you're scheduled longer than 5.5 hours, please just punch out for a meal." So yeah. We still have some compliance every now and then. Usually just people losing track of time.

What if someone is scheduled to work a shift that is 5 hours and 45 minutes long, i.e. closing sales floor?

Then you get a meal. Most of the time our shifts are a full half hour, like ending on the hour or half hour. Sometimes you will get the weird one that is 15 min extra or 45 minutes, but even those tend to be either short or over 7 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back