Archived Condescending Quote Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting Old Lady: THIS COFFEE’S SUPPOSED TO BE $9.99 EACH IF I BUY THREE, WHY IS IT SAYING BUY TWO GET $6 OFF INSTEAD?!

Me: Mam, the deal has been applied, rest assured. The system shows it differently because that’s how it processes it. If you multip—

Disgusting Old Lady: FUCKING TARGET PEOPLE, DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL??

Me:

Me, clenching my teeth with a forced smile: If you would like me to show you how multiplying $9.99 times 3 is the same as subtracting $6 from $35.97, I would gladly assist you and if there are any more problems you’re encountering I can also assist you through that.

Ended with her further cussing me out, chucking the two of the boxes at the little bagging station (one towards my head I dodged it tho, so get wrekt mate) and storming up the 2nd level to buy other shit.

Last edited:
Guest comes up to guest service while I’m covering a break.
Me: Yes ma’am - you have a return?
Entitled Guest: No! I want to check out!
Me (eyeing 4 empty sco’s Behind her): We have open self checkouts available...
EG (interrupting me): I spend too much money here to have to check myself out. You need to have checklanes open and not just the self checkouts.
Me: Yes ma’am. I’m not in charge of that but I can ring you out here. (Scans her ONE PACKAGE OF OREOS and bags it telling her the total due.)

I was LMAO over her buying one thing of Oreos but she spends “too much money here”.

Guest comes up to guest service while I’m covering a break.
Me: Yes ma’am - you have a return?
Entitled Guest: No! I want to check out!
Me (eyeing 4 empty sco’s Behind her): We have open self checkouts available...
EG (interrupting me): I spend too much money here to have to check myself out. You need to have checklanes open and not just the self checkouts.
Me: Yes ma’am. I’m not in charge of that but I can ring you out here. (Scans her ONE PACKAGE OF OREOS and bags it telling her the total due.)

I was LMAO over her buying one thing of Oreos but she spends “too much money here”.
She probably spent more money on the gas she used driving to target than the money she spent at target.

She’s the very reason why my GSTL are pushing SCO people to act like a cashier up to including bagging their items, pulling guests from busy lanes, and pushing for RCs while we have to do lost prevention, candy restock, and sometimes depending on how reliable the TM is (oh jeez I’m one of them) dollar spot zone/push. We have 8 SCO machine with only one person stationed there unless it’s holiday week.

New cashier, first time working with me:
“Are you gay?”

To which I would retort: If you mean by happy? Then kind of. If not? None of your business.

My experience with condescension: [Guest on the phone] With competing noise I can barely hear what he wants. " You don't know what [garbled product name] is?!
And for whatever reason only the product is inaudible. Which is nerve wrecking.
"Sir, would you please annunciate it or spell it out as I cannot understand clearly on my device?"
"Oh forget it! [Click]."

Last edited:
Dear Lord, how do you do loss prevention when you're watching 8 lanes at once?

We’re supposed to pace back and forth down the SCO aisle while we look for fishy signs.

I do a halfway pace in the middle to have a 360 look of all the SCO machines. Expensive and/or shopping carts full of items are almost always top priority to monitor for ticket swaps, passing, and BOB/LISA. I also glance at everyone’s SCO screen to see if the number of items/price match up with what they have placed on the bagging station or back in the cart. It’s difficult, but I made it a routine and I’ve managed to catch a lot of people in the act before they’ve walked out.

Was in GS and we only had 3 zebras. Every single person in line (at least 7 people deep) had an order pickup, no returns. Every single zebra was being used so I told the first person in line “I don’t have a device to get your order so I’ll have to wait until one is available” just to explain like I’m not ignoring you I just literally can’t help you. And she came up to the counter (my biggest pet peeve - if I don’t call you up then stay in line) and was like “oh it’s just a ___” and I was like “ok well like I said I’m not able to grab your order yet” “it’s under (name)” “that’s nice but I literally do not have the ability to grab it” she was like “well I just gave you all the information what else could you possibly need” and I said “we have hundreds and hundreds of orders spread across 3 separate rooms throughout the store. I have no idea where your order is. Even if I could somehow know off the top of my head not only which room it’s in but where it is in the room I wouldn’t be able to process that it’s been picked up without the device.” And she was like “I already paid for it. You don’t need to process anything. Give me my order. I don’t care about your excuses.” I was like “obviously that’s not how it works so you can wait in line just like every other person until we are ready to grab your order” and walked away and refused to even look at her lol. She complained of course and the GSTL and I just laughed about it

She’s the very reason why my GSTL are pushing SCO people to act like a cashier up to including bagging their items, pulling guests from busy lanes, and pushing for RCs while we have to do lost prevention, candy restock, and sometimes depending on how reliable the TM is (oh jeez I’m one of them) dollar spot zone/push. We have 8 SCO machine with only one person stationed there unless it’s holiday week.

Team members are supposed to ring guests at SCO if they don't want to use it themselves. That's a corporate wide expectation and is part of the cashier/SCO core roles.

Team members are supposed to ring guests at SCO if they don't want to use it themselves. That's a corporate wide expectation and is part of the cashier/SCO core roles.
At my store webring them to an express lane and ring them up there so as to free up the self checkout for soLeone who, y know, wants to self checkout.

I won't do that. However, I am more than willing to empower our guest by walking them through the check out process, in baby steps if necessary. I want the check out experience to be a positive one for the guest. I also want it to be one where they actually learn how to check themselves out. If it takes 5 minutes to do a 4 item transaction, that's fine. I will go as slow as they need and I'm more than willing to give the appropriate pats on the back/high fives to make them feel good about it.

I won't do that. However, I am more than willing to empower our guest by walking them through the check out process, in baby steps if necessary. I want the check out experience to be a positive one for the guest. I also want it to be one where they actually learn how to check themselves out. If it takes 5 minutes to do a 4 item transaction, that's fine. I will go as slow as they need and I'm more than willing to give the appropriate pats on the back/high fives to make them feel good about it.

If it’s slow, sure, go ahead and do that. But the priority is always a fast checkout and I’m sure you can scan items faster than most guests. And definitely faster than a guest who doesn’t know what they’re doing.

As we're busting our asses prepping, packing, and sorting 500+ containers on Brown Thursday while the salesfloor is slow due to increased SFS order volume:
"Wow, must be easy being back here! No guests to deal with!"

I would say on my end it’s just more overwhelming because it’s not the standard 4 SCO machines but 8 instead and my store is almost always busy. I still do all of this because that is my job as a cashier/SCO though.

If a guest complains about not wanting to do SCO because of scanning, I always offer to scan and bag their items.

Personally, I prefer scanning and bagging guests’ items whenever it’s rarely slow because not only do I want to make it fast, I also want to double-check for BOB and LISA.

Reactions: Dog
A guest was approaching the desk and I was putting away the last few things in my hands so that I could help her and the softlines girl looks at me and says super obnoxiously, "UM you have a GUEST". Like, ok what she said shouldn't have gotten under my skin as much as it did, but I was like ONE item away from walking to the desk to help the guest, the guest wasn't even to the desk yet, and like I still don't even know who that girl is.
My one ETL comes up to guest service to get candy we have in donate or that is toss. He also would hang around an old GSTM and he would pull this all the time. It is so annoying. I would be on the ground changing ribbon (I’m one of the only who care about or do anything with photo) and he’d say “hey there’s a guest... you gonna get that orrrr?”

I was told that that is just his sense of humor and I should take it as a joke, but man, i did not think it was funny any of the times he said it especially because he actually does nothing and has been responsible for 2 high quality TLs leaving.

Guest to me, a female cart attendant, as I'm pushing a long row of carts in:

"What? They have the girls doing that?"
I realize that this is more than a year ago, but I have to reply that I'm not sure why a GSTL or GSA doesn't ask any female front end team members to work as a cart attendant when the scheduled cart attendant calls out. If none of them agree to work carts, then that's fine, but then I end up working close to or more than 40 hours. Maybe training a few other team members as "emergency" cart attendants would be a good idea?

my stl, who cannot make a basic return or understands how to do absolutely anything in the front end, asked me, a gsa and have been at guest service for like two years at this point, “if i was capable of damaging out an item?” and then smirked like i was an idiot while awaiting a response.

my stl, who cannot make a basic return or understands how to do absolutely anything in the front end, asked me, a gsa and have been at guest service for like two years at this point, “if i was capable of damaging out an item?” and then smirked like i was an idiot while awaiting a response.
“Yes, can you?”

Guest was shopping clearance while I was cleaning it up. When I asked what she was looking for, she said for casual Friday and then added "When you work, uh, when you have to work, all your clothes are geared for work."
(Like I don't work, bitch. Like this is the only job I've never had and I've never had to wear business casual to a job or dress for interviews in business formal.)

Then a couple minutes later as I'm still picking stuff up off the floor she said "I need to have you come clean my closets."
(Like I'm your personal servant, ass.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back