Archived Does your APTM have any power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently we had a booster make off with 880 worth of softlines items, and they came back the next day. The APTM asked us to "guest service" the guest but in the end they pushed another cart full of shit right out the door to due them not giving a fuck and softlines backup cashiering

We asked why they did call the cops when they first came in (PD is right across the street...) and they said it's because they need ETL-AP approva but they were off that day

Seems like of pointless when you can't really do anything. Seems out APTM only does some inventory checks and stands by the door but since they can apprehend they can't do anything. Guess know this and don't even drive to the store, they just hop on the bus to avoid having their plate number recorded

If you're going to have an AP team you need to give them power...

TPS can not call the police alone (unless a cutting object is used?) without SR TPS, APS, APTL or ETL-AP. In extreme circumstances I've seen TPS call the police alone however, since it counts as an apprehension solo.

Unfortunately TPS are more there to observe and report. Where is your aptl/etl ap

Apparently we had a booster make off with 880 worth of softlines items, and they came back the next day. The APTM asked us to "guest service" the guest but in the end they pushed another cart full of shit right out the door to due them not giving a fuck and softlines backup cashiering

We asked why they did call the cops when they first came in (PD is right across the street...) and they said it's because they need ETL-AP approva but they were off that day

Seems like of pointless when you can't really do anything. Seems out APTM only does some inventory checks and stands by the door but since they can apprehend they can't do anything. Guess know this and don't even drive to the store, they just hop on the bus to avoid having their plate number recorded

If you're going to have an AP team you need to give them power...
Good God could you proofread before you post. Really makes it hard to read with so many errors.

Unfortunately TPS are more there to observe and report. Where is your aptl/etl ap
Spot is making a HUGE push to turn the TPS position into a brand attendant position. Thus unless you have an APS or an ETL-AP who cares, or a TPS who doesn't give a shit about what Spot wants, it's free rein for boosters.

Sounds like this TPS just didn't want to make the PMR for some reason. We can only do so much, but this sounds like a case of doing literally nothing.

Spot is making a HUGE push to turn the TPS position into a brand attendant position. Thus unless you have an APS or an ETL-AP who cares, or a TPS who doesn't give a shit about what Spot wants, it's free rein for boosters.
Thankfully, my new APTL was a Senior TPS at a high theft store for four years before moving to the IC, and now back to the stores as an APTL. He's got that "Fuck guest experience, catch bad guys" mentality, and I love it. I'm only at the doors for about an hour a day anymore, and I'm starting to feel like a real LPO again.

Sounds like this TPS just didn't want to make the PMR for some reason. We can only do so much, but this sounds like a case of doing literally nothing.
Thankfully, my new APTL was a Senior TPS at a high theft store for four years before moving to the IC, and now back to the stores as an APTL. He's got that "Fuck guest experience, catch bad guys" mentality, and I love it. I'm only at the doors for about an hour a day anymore, and I'm starting to feel like a real LPO again.

Until you get a new STL and he is either forced to plant you on the carpet or gets fired.

Edit: stupid phone.

Last edited:
Quick mod note;
Pointing out that someone's post is hard to read is not flaming.
Disagreeing with that sentiment is also not flaming.
Pointing out why you might agree with the first statement, once again not a flame war.
All of these posts were made without being directly insulting or nasty which is part of the rules here.
So to the folks who complained I just want to say this is fine (as long as it stays civil).
I have been moderating boards since the 90s and I promise this is nothing to worry about.

It could be there's some bullshit directive on whether a TPS can call the police alone. I can tell you right now, if the police need to be called, myself and my TPS are sure as hell going to call the police. Some things you do outside policy because it just makes 10x more sense.

Anyone can call the police if there's an emergency situation, for example a lifter has a blade.

Basically the TPS cannot call the police without approval, because if the police come and detain someone and it turns out they weren't lifting or they dumped, target is opened to civil suit, or also being charged by local municipities for false calls.

Most of this stems from Wal-Mart's shitty lp policy of essentially shifting the cost of their lp onto taxpayers by calling the cops for literally anything. It's having a big impact on police effectiveness and is forcing cities to change how they do business with stores. It's not really a bullshit directive, their hands are just more or less being tied.

Low Prices, High Crime: Inside Walmart's Plan to Crack Down on Shoplifting

TPS can call police solo if cutting object is used can't they?
"Officer, I saw a knife. What? You didn't find it on him?"

"He must have ditched it... "

aaf_shifty.gif

Anyone can call the police if there's an emergency situation, for example a lifter has a blade.

Basically the TPS cannot call the police without approval, because if the police come and detain someone and it turns out they weren't lifting or they dumped, target is opened to civil suit, or also being charged by local municipities for false calls.

Most of this stems from Wal-Mart's shitty lp policy of essentially shifting the cost of their lp onto taxpayers by calling the cops for literally anything. It's having a big impact on police effectiveness and is forcing cities to change how they do business with stores. It's not really a bullshit directive, their hands are just more or less being tied.

Low Prices, High Crime: Inside Walmart's Plan to Crack Down on Shoplifting

I can understand that last part. Target's invested a lot in building that law enforcement network. Frivolous 911 calls can easily ruin it. But anytime you call the police on a lifter, you should describe what you've seen and not what you think is happening. If anything, most agencies will create the call as a suspicious person or possible theft in progress. In tx, as long as you've got concealment, the police are clear to detain. Of course too many false positives will erode your relationship with them.

The only problem I had was when it was free it would still have been great if you would have a great game but it is not free because you can never get to see them because you are a super cool kid who would have to pay to play with it because you have a great time to get a pair and get it free because it doesn't work at it anyway so I can never have to go through a game that is not free.

Seems like of pointless when you can't really do anything. Seems out APTM only does some inventory checks and stands by the door but since they can apprehend they can't do anything.

I just wanted to point out that just because TPS's can't physically detain/apprehend a subject doesn't mean that we can't do anything to stop them.

I can't count the number of times I've "aggressively guest-serviced" a subject to make a successful recovery. Just do a good 'ol fashioned burn and scare 'em into dumping the merchandise. Watch them, stand nearby, pretend to talk into your radio, approach and ask CIHYFS, maybe add, "Don't I know you from somewhere? I recognize you from somewhere." for good measure. Stand nearby in every department they're in. There's actually a lot of grey area in what sort of interactions you can have with subjects in progress of shoplifting. Use that to your advantage. Be creative.

It actually works most of the time for me.

I've had a couple of suspicious returns recently. The first was a very young (maybe teenage) woman with some friends that came in and returned an expensive baby monitor and 2 drones. They had a cash receipt from another store from earlier that same day. They bought 2 more drones. I had a really bad feeling about it. I opened everything and did the return and the sale.
The next day another very young woman came in with an expensive robot vacuum. Again it was a cash purchase from earlier the same day. This time the receipt was from our store.
All of the women were African American, young and way too polite.
Have any of you seen or heard anything like this?

Have any of you seen or heard anything like this?

Our district has a no same day different store return policy.

There is a loophole the POS misses. I forget what it is but that's probably where they are getting you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back