Archived Fake Currency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most stores shouldn't have the pens/machines installed as HQ would rather use the AP/camera approach to tackling the problem quietly. There are certain problem areas that have been excluded from this approach and have been approved for use of alternatives. SFTs have been issued Field Projects to install the pens/machines for fake currency in these locations.

There was a national alert out for a counterfeit ring using the bleached $5 printed over as $100.'s. The lady gave my cashier 3 of them and she thought the felt strange so she called the GSA. He walks over takes the bill and looks at the portrait watermark. He hands the bill back and says he can not accept this form of payment and asks if she would like to pay another way. She asked what's wrong with my money? He simply said "Abe Lincoln's face shouldn't be on a $100 bill" She left and has not been back. Problem solved!

A while back they printed out best practice for counterfeit... If I recall it said that if the money fails the counterfeit pen, that we could return the bill to the guest and request an alternate form of payment.

This is our direction also but it is difficult to follow when the pens keep disappearing.

Been awhile since I had to cashier for any length of time, but doesn't the old running your fingernail on the presidents collar work any more?

Don't know, never knew of that trick? That is interesting I need to try that out sometime. (I deal with alot more cash at current job than Target. Thanks for the pointer. But I can usually tell within 3-5 seconds if a bill $20 or larger is fake. Easily.)

if you have a bleached/reprinted bill, the counterfeit pen doesn't catch it as the paper is the same (cotton rag). The feel, however, is what gives it away because any time the bill is immersed in any type of chemical solution the paper texture is affected.

ding ding ding!!!

Best practice states that you should never hold the bill up in the air, but you can "ask" for a different form of payment if the bill is super obvious that its fake (same serial numbers, different paper feel, Abraham Lincolns face on 100 dollar bill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back