Archived GSA overstepping boundries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell333

Former Team Member-Parolled August 2017
Yesterday after I had finished my shift, punched out, picked out some items I needed & made it to the check lanes to pay the GSA walks over near the lane where I am a GUEST and scolds me because I didn't clean my lane out before I left. I started to explain that I WOULD have done that, but kept getting guests in my lane even though I had turned my light off (we were busy & shorthanded because of a call off) & I chose to keep helping guests until I was scheduled to leave. After I said this it struck me that she shouldn't even be talking to me about this since I was OFF the clock! After I pointed that out to her, she said that I should have stayed after I was scheduled & cleaned my lane off. I am SO sick & tired of dealing with people in leadership(ish) positions who don't even know BASIC labor rules! I had plans after work & couldn't stay past my scheduled time, but I DO know that I can punch out & leave at my scheduled time even if the GSA DOESN"T. Has anyone else run into these type of issues?

Last edited:
Lol, I think that's not cool at all. GSA was probably stressed out that day. I used to get upset at that kind of stuff but... it eventually didn't matter to me anymore. goodluck

i must be lucky, all of my gsas are pretty nice and chill. the only ones who complain about someone's lane being messy after leaving are the cashiers who jump on the lane afterwords.

What is encompassed in cleaning out a lane?

At my store, we need to: put all hangers in the hanger bins and all reshop in the reshop cart. Wipe down your belt, counter, register, and card reader with sanitizer/cleaner. Throw out your speed slip (if you use one) and try to make sure your cash drawer and drawer underneath the register are neat and organized.

At my store, before you leave, you also have to tell the LOD of how working at Target has made you dead inside. The thing is you can't say the same thing twice, it gets tricky after a while.
If we're in a bad enough Redcard drought, the GSTL will choose the worst cashier and the entire store on the clock at the time will sacrifice them to the little statuette of Spot near the front end. The STL will don an elaborate headdress and robe made of plastic bags and Redcard pamplets that is held together with spare sale sticker signs and the little stickers we give to children, and mark their face with the powders of whatever fell on the floor at Starbucks.

At my store, we need to: put all hangers in the hanger bins and all reshop in the reshop cart. Wipe down your belt, counter, register, and card reader with sanitizer/cleaner. Throw out your speed slip (if you use one) and try to make sure your cash drawer and drawer underneath the register are neat and organized.

Pretty sure at my store, they just "peace out" at the end of the shift. Front end routinely looks terrible. I am looking at you - hangers spilling all over the floor, empty bag hooks, and trash overflowing, too.

Not that I necessarily agree with the way your GSA handled it, but realistically how long would it have taken you to tidy up your lane? 1-2 minutes tops? I understand not being able to stay past your scheduled shift but 1 or 2 minutes is certainly not going to make a huge difference (Redwire alerts you after 5 minutes just so you have that wiggle room). It's one of my biggest pet peeves as a front end supervisor... cashiers that bolt as soon as the clock strikes their scheduled departure time as if some alarm goes off in their heads "time to go!!" and then leave their register looking like a tornado went through... bags everywhere, trash, reshop and hangers, etc (and, for that matter, don't tell a GSTL/GSA they are leaving. Makes me a bit crazy I guess. But as for the OP, fill out a punch correction and be done with it.

Our cart attendant does that. The GSTLs and GSAs who are great will take care the hangers and reshops now and then so that you won't get overwhelmed with those stuff. Some of our old time cashiers maintain the cleanliness of their work area but I think it's mostly the closing tms who does it.

No such routine at my store. Either a cashier who gets a bit of a lull will pick up hangers and take re shop to the SD or the GS(A)/GSTL will assign someone to do that. Sometimes the CA will do it as well. Also, CA is responsible for the bags all of the time. I personally clean my lane, card reader, keyboard, separator bars before I will turn on my light. I will not touch that stuff until I know it's clean, period.

I don't mean all of the GSTLs in my store. I have gone backup and the register is full of hangers and reshop, no paper for fragile items, no bags, etc. But we did/still do have really good GSTLs who do some of those stuff when they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back