Archived How is cardboard handled at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For us, we have a certain amount of cages we fill up, we put them in the backroom near the bailer and we have a flow TM who stays after to take care of it. Anyone have something similar or is this how we all do it? I was curious today after leaving work.

We have an overnight flow team so generally each person has a shopping cart (or carts) that they fill with cardboard as they stock. It is then their responsibility to put the cardboard in the baler. At the end of the night when we are scrambling to get things done, one or two people usually end up at the baler baling all the cardboard that comes back at the last minute. Only one or two people use the cages and they (usually) empty them themselves.

I'm not sure how they do it during the day/evening. Especially with minors.

In my store it's normally the receiver during the day and cart attendant at night. And I'm convinced flow thinks magic elves empty the cages of trash and cardboard. 90% of the time they leave the cages were they were overstocking the selves

Backroom in general handles it all, whether it's overnight or dayside. It's pretty far off our radar unless the carts of cardboard start looking like highway traffic.

When Flow is working, they have a specific TM who handles it and makes bales as needed. And other time TMs and vendors just put their cardboard in and call backroom or the receiver to crush it when needed. Backroom makes bales when Flow isn't there.

We have one team member from flow handle it during truck days. On non-truck days, everyone prays really hard that the compactor doesn't fill up too fast.

Overnight fills cages and crushes them from the truck. Dayside salesflooe handles all of our own card board. Usually dayside makes bales, and prays a chain doesn't snap, because overnight overfills the baler. If it does snap, then get out the gasoline and make a bonfire.

Wow...we generally have at least a couple of bales to make a night. Anyone can make them if they are so inclined. (we get a truck nightly)

I've seen backroom, cart attendant, etls, tls, and a pa do it so I'm guessing whoever the LOD wants to do it does it

How is it handled?

Shitty lods and SFTMs leave yet another task for the backroom to finish. You guys can't even call the brtm and ask if they could crush the bailer became you're lazy fucks

For a long time, a key was always in the bailer. Breakdown, toss in, and crush.

Then management put the key in a combo lock box by the bailer. Breakdown, toss boxes in cages, and backroom/receiver/LOD would crush usually.

We've ne er had a stable method.

In theory everyone is supposed to take care of their own cardboard, but it literally takes a SINGLE cart with cardboard being a k there for that to go out the window and everyone just lines their vehicles up.

Honestly, I feel like it makes more sense to have a flow TM break off early in the process and start dealing with trash. Backroom has too much to do to play bailer babysitter and run over to smash it every time that needs to be done.

Things are shaping up at my store, but trash definitely remains one of our most consistent problems.

My store has 3 bailers. I work overnight, so we always have at least 1 person from flow who comes in at 9PM to make all the cages and line them for people to take. Flow comes in at 10:15 and by that time he's going around making sure the other bailers are good to go and no bails need to be made. Afterwards if not all cages have been taken he tries to allocate them around the store for everyone to use so flow doesn't have to have an excuse to go get a cage. Over the course of the night if cages are not brought to him, he picks them up, empties them, and sometimes brings them back to us if needed, if not he leave them back there or starts breaking the cages down again if the floor is nearing completion. Usually whoever doing the bails gets to stay as long as they need to come clean. In a 24 hour period my stores makes about 6 bails. Two from each bailer. Not sure if that's a lot or not lol.

How is it handled?

Shitty lods and SFTMs leave yet another task for the backroom to finish. You guys can't even call the brtm and ask if they could crush the bailer became you're lazy fucks

That last part bothers me the most. Most of my store's executives at least crush their own cardboard, but people on the sales floor tend to just play Tetris with the cardboard and squeeze in as much as they can without crushing it. It's always interesting to check on it and see boxes stuffed to the point that they're falling out, but nobody even bothered to hold the button for less than two seconds.

I don't have the key to it.

Anybody should be able to cycle it. Frig a key...

Honestly, I feel like it makes more sense to have a flow TM break off early in the process and start dealing with trash.

It's best practice for someone on truck unload to be responsible for cardboard. I suppose some stores don't follow that though.

That last part bothers me the most. Most of my store's executives at least crush their own cardboard, but people on the sales floor tend to just play Tetris with the cardboard and squeeze in as much as they can without crushing it. It's always interesting to check on it and see boxes stuffed to the point that they're falling out, but nobody even bothered to hold the button for less than two seconds.

Eh, it depends on your store. At mine the key is never back there so you put it in and let someone with a key deal with it.

My store is overnight, and as we stock we put our cardboard in our carts or in a cage that's next to us and there is one TM whose specific job it is walking around the store filling up his cage. When the cage is full, he takes it to the back to the compactor and gets rid of it all. And then repeats the process for the rest of the night.

Kind of off-topic, but this reminded me of a time about a year ago when a huddle was called and all of us Flow/BRTMs were yelled at because people were putting styrofoam in the baler. Most of us BRTMs were pretty pissed, because we DON'T do that, but leadership bitched us out like it was all our fault.

...fast forward like 5 days, and I watch 2 ETLs throw a massive pile of trash from a reset in the baler...massive amounts of styrofoam stuffed into boxes, plastic wrap, etc. ...I told my TL, because I was sick of leadership coming down on us for stuff we weren't even doing. Maybe it was petty, but it felt pretty good to settle it. :rolleyes:

Eh, it depends on your store. At mine the key is never back there so you put it in and let someone with a key deal with it.

Yeah, that I can at least understand. Our baler is always on, though. I can't even think of a time it wasn't.

There's a key that's always in either one of the balers or the trash compactor. If you need to smash, just grab the key out of one of the other two and do it. Our backroom people very rarely make a bale or do much of anything with the baler. It's almost always flow TMs and sometimes ETLs or TLs.

We're a 4am store; there is one veteran flow tm who always handles cardboard when he's there, so we're usually covered til around noon or so. If he's not there, another flow tm will take care of it. Dayside everyone's responsible for putting their own cardboard in the baler. Backroom tm or sometimes the LOD will make bales. Backroom, our receiver, and LOD have keys; if its a busy day, the LOD will just leave a key in it and whoever fills up the baler will smash it. Only LODs open up the trash compactor. We only have cashiers who are minors currently, so no minors are ever in our backroom- unless you count the vendor who was dumb enough to bring his maybe six or seven year old kid along one day lol. Boy did leadership have a cow over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back