• Yes

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 52 62.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on huddle. Leaders: Do you like having huddle? Do you do long or short huddles? Do you think huddle is informative or just another break for team members? Is evening huddle with the closing team more important that morning huddle? Besides smart huddles, do you leaders feel like you have accomplished something by talking to the team? Let me know, I’m curious at to what other stores are like! :)

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about huddle, at least at my store, is they nuked it. Apparently people weren't interested in things like sales, so basically now it's just go around the group for recognition, which usually involves six people saying the same recognition over and over. And when I'm the only one scheduled in my work center and have work to do, it shouldn't really need to take more than 5 minutes. But that's obviously just my skewed viewpoint

Fuck a huddle. We haven't had a "huddle" in years. What we DO have are zoning parties.

And WHO gives a flying fuck what the store's projections are? That shit is for ETLs, who get bonuses for meeting/exceeding sales.

TM might get a free snack and drink at close, that's about it.

Fuck huddles.

Last edited:
the only time we have huddles is to knockout toys reshoot or push for a new set. Ie. seasonal, Bullshit Playground and is usually in the morning. Haven’t even heard of an evening huddle in years.

I don’t really care for them. But it could be a good way of getting everyone on the same page when it comes to scams or any other security issues

My store does multiple huddles through the day. For hard and softlines only. No front end.

Meanwhile, we have policies changing on what feels like a daily basis that front end TMs need to know about, and the updated information is not being relayed to everyone as the TLs forget who they've talked to. And then we get coached on violating procedures that we didn't know about.

Huddles can be good but most stores don't do it right.

My old store had a huddle at 8am everyday. They were incredible - informative, productive rather than forced recognition, notes from visits. I miss that.

Smart huddles can be fine unless it's just finishing up the truck because flow is slow and got behind.

It's nice, especially if you're stuck in the same area consistently and have friends in other areas. It becomes a hindrance if used poorly or incorrectly; I hate when you call everyone and their mother to do a 90-minute long huddle.

Huddles are OK. I appreciate the info and am always more than willing to speak up during them. Having said that, as a SLTM I am bitter that the huddles are cover for 4x4ing revolving departments of hardlines or pushing some FDC or mini-seasonal pallets. Softlines gets no love ever. And we could’ve used it 4th quarter when we were drowning.

Our ETL-GE always holds huddle at Starbucks so that we in the front-end can attend as well.

Wow, how considerate. Front end at my store never hears anything about huddle other than that it will be happening. No news trickles down. Our GSA/TLs aren't invited to attend. Just more proof that although they say the front end is super important, it's only lip service.

On my closing nights, I try to always have a huddle. My store recently started having more dayside huddles. Some are working huddles, so just informational. We encourage the GSA to attend so they can relay the information to the front end. I also always try to have daily huddles with just my team. I think it's good to balance between smart huddles and short, to the point huddles.

Huddles can be good but most stores don't do it right.

My old store had a huddle at 8am everyday. They were incredible - informative, productive rather than forced recognition, notes from visits. I miss that.

Smart huddles can be fine unless it's just finishing up the truck because flow is slow and got behind.
Huddles are OK. I appreciate the info and am always more than willing to speak up during them. Having said that, as a SLTM I am bitter that the huddles are cover for 4x4ing revolving departments of hardlines or pushing some FDC or mini-seasonal pallets. Softlines gets no love ever. And we could’ve used it 4th quarter when we were drowning.
You would have loved our store! Softlines got all the love. You know how hard softlines gets shopped during the holidays so we would walk into about 10+ carts of reshop. We would always smart huddle the reshop especially with all the push softlines has, they needed the help.

Our store used to be very consistent with huddle. We would have it every morning as soon as the store opened. I remember trying to clear my throat on the way to work because my voice would always be raspy and break while I was talking in front of 20+ people HAHAHA...awkward. This routine has been phased away because our huddles would last over 30+ mins and people would get antsy trying to get back to their projects.

The ETL I am partnered with on my closing nights does not like to have huddle, she just wants everyone to just get to work. What I do to avoid loafing issues is that I stand by the equipment and once the tm has punched in I greet them, let them know whether to go grab a pull, reshop or just jump into their zone. If there is anything major they need to know I let them know right then and there. That's what works on our closing nights because our store gets very busy in the evenings.

I used to be an HR team member and when I went to huddle I would pass out snacks and play games. We would have bubble gum chewing contests, guess how much candy is in the jar, crossword puzzle games, etc. It was fun!

Wow, how considerate. Front end at my store never hears anything about huddle other than that it will be happening. No news trickles down. Our GSA/TLs aren't invited to attend. Just more proof that although they say the front end is super important, it's only lip service.

Our new GSTL always makes it a point to be at huddle so that we can learn about what’s happening in store, but the other GSTL and GSAs don’t, so communication is broken most of the time. It’d be nice if they communicated store news to the people in the front end.

Vintage what is your role now?

I find huddles can be bad for productivity but good for morale

I feel like our huddles are useful. Back in peak season they'd end with a quick zone of seasonal or toys or something, but now they're pretty quick. Ask if anyone has recognition, news & announcements, upcoming events, reminder to know your ad/check cartwheel for your area, the end. Treats of some kind are always on offer.

I'm going to miss the ETL who always requisitioned ice cream bars (she transferred to a different store). Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back