Archived Merchandise Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

The search function is not working, so I wanted to get some ideas on how to properly execute merchandise protection in both:

FLOW
According to best practice, there are supposed to be 5-10 flow team members trained in how to spider wrap, etc.
According to reality, my store has 8 flow team members, basically 5 per truck. Zero of the team members spider wrap. It takes time. A lot of time.

SALES FLOOR
When auditing if it is getting done on pulls and during zone, I found the conclusion is a big, fat, NO.
Again, best practice states that spider wrapping is to be done as needed on the floor.
Reality says that I will have one, MAYBE two hardlines team members at a time pressured to do all pulls, reshop, guest service, etc.

How does it get done at YOUR store? The main areas I am focused on is housewears, fitbits in sporting goods, golf balls and healthcare. Electronics takes care of their own, it's a completely different game there.

At my store, it does not get done. We have Keurigs, Dysons, $200 razors, Ninja blenders, and more sitting on the floor without spiderwrap. Our APTL has even attached a bag of spiderwrap to our defectives tub that follows the flow wave around and recommended training team members during flow team huddles.

Six months later and nothing has changed.

As for sales floor team members doing it, same thing. It is not uncommon for me to find Fitbit Charge HRs sitting on basedecks because they came out on a pull and the team member had no idea what to do with it when they realized the peghook was locked. I have even found Fitbit Surges and Xbox Ones sitting on basedecks or literally the floor in front of the basedecks.

Last edited:
The search function is not working, so I wanted to get some ideas on how to properly execute merchandise protection in both:

FLOW
According to best practice, there are supposed to be 5-10 flow team members trained in how to spider wrap, etc.
According to reality, my store has 8 flow team members, basically 5 per truck. Zero of the team members spider wrap. It takes time. A lot of time.

SALES FLOOR
When auditing if it is getting done on pulls and during zone, I found the conclusion is a big, fat, NO.
Again, best practice states that spider wrapping is to be done as needed on the floor.
Reality says that I will have one, MAYBE two hardlines team members at a time pressured to do all pulls, reshop, guest service, etc.

How does it get done at YOUR store? The main areas I am focused on is housewears, fitbits in sporting goods, golf balls and healthcare. Electronics takes care of their own, it's a completely different game there.
4x4 is a great opportunity to walk a zone and find unwrapped merchandise. We have a cart loaded with wraps that can be pushed out to be available for flow, etc. When you find abb aisle like keurig, razors, etc not wrapped have a wrapping party with everyone learning. Speak to the $$ for aisles. Point out labels showing it if you have them.

Fitbits are rarely a problem for us. Rarely look at golf balls. Mostly it's electric razors, keurig machines, electric toothbrushes and ninja blenders. Also home automation endcap, auto aisle safety items and vacuums.

Wow I'm on flow and I have spider wrapped dysons this week and breast pumps all the time. When I have a newbie on the wave they do the spiders till they become familiar. One of our flow guys pushes electronics so if he finishes quickly and joins the wave, he is kind enough to do the spiders. Overall our team does fairly well. If we start slacking my tl will tell us what came off the truck that day that needs a spider. I hate them with a passion, but it's part of the job.

Under the guide section, assets has a lot of this stuff in there. At my store, all teams bring their items to the boat for spider wrap. But, we have been teaching the flow team how to do with the magnet & wrap. The important part is having the wraps & knowing where the register magnet is.

My ETLAP just tore our logistics leaders a new butthole about this issue the other day.

Our flow team tries to keep up with it. But there are areas where they could do better. They know not to put a Dyson out without a spiderwrap but will push a Kitchen Aid mixer and not merch protect it.

Our ETL AP works one or two overnights a month to try to keep them in check but even he understands the tight timelines they are under. Fortunately we have enough TPS's to pick up the slack.

Our flow team's methods fit in well with the rest of their MO:
'Why should we even attempt to do it if someone else will?'

So most of the stuff from HBA and infants (razor blades, straighteners, pumps) gets tossed on the GSD counter (which is just added to reshop after protected). Dyson's, Sharks and Keurigs stay on the rollers until their eventually back stocked and come out on CAFs and I don't even think any of them know that high end golf balls should be wrapped.

For a while, our AP would do daily checks and wrap anything that wasn't wrapped. This was around the same time that there was a crack down on what needed to be wrapped and half of small apps fit the bill.

Hmm, I don't think my store wraps the golf balls. That's definitely a problem, because I have guests trying to return them without a receipt. One time someone filled the box with a cheaper brand of golf balls. Im in GS, so I just make sure I spider wrap any returned merch that needs one. Dyson stuff, baby monitors, etc. Assuming it's not just a charge back. On the front end we wrap some of the trading card sets because they're about $100.

Our flow team is not good about consistently spider-wrapping items. Anytime I come across such an item without a spider-wrap, I call AP so they can investigate and/or bitch at the ETL-Log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back