Merit Raises & Reviews: 2023 Edition

Have delivered 80% of my team's reviews and so far only 2 were angry, most were meh and one top performer was happy with 2% (?!). One "DEO" given this year when my team had 4 outstanding performers. Apologized to everyone.

I still haven't gotten my review lol. I'll be the last leader by far to get mine, which will no doubt be 68 cents. It's a comedy at this point, OPUs are just blown up and I have no time to do anything. Sacrificing break time to sneak in reviews.
You better start hiring, your team is on it's way out en masse

you know you live in a dystopia when you can find more cash chilling in a vending machine change slot than you could ever hope to get from a raggedy ass base metal raise at the 69 billion dollar company you work for

*rubs lightly circulated 1920 silver Mercury dime for emphasis*

The amount of top raises is determined at the district level I believe, and then each store decides how to divide them up to their TMs. At some stores (re: all the ones I've worked in), the TLs had the biggest say in who got each raise, while the ETLs and SDs helped manage the budget because we aren't allowed to give people what they actually deserve.
This has been my experience as well. TLs decide who gets what and then the SD, HR and one or more ETLs huddle with the TL over whether they agree or not. Mgmnt can overrule the TL, but initially it's the TL who decides who gets what from what they're allocated to give

Performance doesn’t mean shit after you’ve been with the company for a while. Longer you stay, more invested you are, they care less about you and focus on retaining newer hires. DC performance based teams received ”fairness” adjustments last year which virtually wiped out years of good performance reviews and raises for anyone who had worked their way up the pay scale. And now they wonder why talent is leaving. This year capped my best performance to date, best review, and shittiest raise ever, AFTER watching others on my team magically get $5-$6 bumps just because. And now all of a sudden they don’t have the money for decent raises? To say I’m bitter doesn’t even begin to cover it.

5% DEO TL

life  challenge suck it GIF
Fantastic except if you get too expensive as a TL you might get let go.
Performance doesn’t mean shit after you’ve been with the company for a while. Longer you stay, more invested you are, they care less about you and focus on retaining newer hires. DC performance based teams received ”fairness” adjustments last year which virtually wiped out years of good performance reviews and raises for anyone who had worked their way up the pay scale. And now they wonder why talent is leaving. This year capped my best performance to date, best review, and shittiest raise ever, AFTER watching others on my team magically get $5-$6 bumps just because. And now all of a sudden they don’t have the money for decent raises? To say I’m bitter doesn’t even begin to cover it.
It just dawned on me that Target must have a metric in regards to "minimum staffing levels".

They don't weed out poor performers because they can't replace them and then that department won't be at 100% staffing level.

Another metric is when our store wants everyone to do all their computer training ASAP.

I have noticed that half the time the training isn't due for a month or so.

Last edited:
Finally got my review. 4% gets me up to $16.63.

TL was shocked I make that much. Well I’ve been here 4x As long as you, trained you and did your job while they job hunted for you, what did you expect? I was prepared with metrics of the area while I covered, past reviews, my NOS scores if I hadn’t gotten the 4%. And also had an updated resume if they hadn’t agreed with my reasonable discussion.

Setting aside the token pay raise, I actually had a good conversation with my leader during our one-on-one.

We're a pilot store, and the re-organization has put me under a different TL. Last year I, literally, said nothing when I met with my TL. I came in, sat down, and he read from a piece of paper. When he was finished I got up and left.

This year I had an actual conversation, with, like, talking and listening and agreement and compromise.

Holy sh*t.

Fantastic except if you get too expensive as a TL you

It just dawned on me that Target must have a metric in regards to "minimum staffing levels".

They don't weed out poor performers because they can't replace them and then that department won't be at 100% staffing level.

Another metric is when our store wants everyone to do all their computer training ASAP.

I have noticed that half the time the training isn't do for a month or so.
Probably the reason my SD wants me to consider ETL. I just don't think I'm on that side of the fence, I don't have a problem with supporting the team or Leaders in store! But I know ETL's across the company have gotten complacency with TM's/DBO's where it is by the lack of involvement and interactions, they put on TL's to "handle". Now that reviews have happened, they think we can buckle down and correct issues with TM's. Yeah, we can if you get involved, meaning you correct them, you coach them, otherwise all the problems with dresscode/etc will continue to be a problem. Jealous of the stores with actively involved ETL's outside of just metric focuses.

you know you live in a dystopia when you can find more cash chilling in a vending machine change slot than you could ever hope to get from a raggedy ass base metal raise at the 69 billion dollar company you work for

*rubs lightly circulated 1920 silver Mercury dime for emphasis*

maybe it was one of the stolen dimes from walmart's parking lot Thieves Steal 5 TONS Of Dimes Worth $200K From Back Of Truck In Walmart Parking Lot - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/thieves-steal-5-tons-of-dimes-worth-200k-from-back-of-truck-in-walmart-parking-lot/ar-AA19Sjbk

Your etl is gaslighting you into thinking they aren't the ones who choose who gets what, along with the store director, and that being happy that you got 2% because others got less. Don't take it out on your new TL they have absolutely no say in what you got for a raise.
What your saying is somewhat true, team leaders don’t decide how much a raise you get but, there opinion does count and if they tell ETL what they think of team members EtL will listen and take that into account. Three years ago I got a crappy raise because of a coaching by a team leader so, there input does make a difference.

Setting aside the token pay raise, I actually had a good conversation with my leader during our one-on-one.

We're a pilot store, and the re-organization has put me under a different TL. Last year I, literally, said nothing when I met with my TL. I came in, sat down, and he read from a piece of paper. When he was finished I got up and left.

This year I had an actual conversation, with, like, talking and listening and agreement and compromise.

Holy sh*t.
I'm glad. This is what Target actually wants them to look like.

Holy sh*t.
I remember my last review happened at backroom while I was backstocking . My TL handed over the paper and said you did great got first rating but could give only so and so raise . That’s it .
Waiting for this year review coming from my new TL . The fourth TL in last 3-4 years for my dept . 😒

What your saying is somewhat true, team leaders don’t decide how much a raise you get but, there opinion does count and if they tell ETL what they think of team members EtL will listen and take that into account. Three years ago I got a crappy raise because of a coaching by a team leader so, there input does make a difference.
Probably true in some stores my recommendations were never even asked of me this year. What makes it worse is my etl came to our store in December and my SD came in February where we had a covering SD since November. You would think they would want our opinions.

Raises appeared on ours this week and there are still TM’s that still have not received their review. And these TM’s have been there daily. The whole process is a joke.
Do they see the review in workday or the leaders have to release it separately even if the raises came into effect ?

These raises are also painful considering everyone in our store was making a minimum of $4/hour above base on the weekends back in 4th Quarter 2021. I know that was temporary pay but damn those were some decent paychecks for a short time. 😂

Had mine last week, got a 3 cent raise. Almost told the TL who reviewed me to just keep it. I get that I haven’t been with my store for a year yet, but please, don’t insult me or my time.
are you sure it was 3c and not 3% ? What I've always heard regarding pay increases has been in %.

are you sure it was 3c and not 3% ? What I've always heard regarding pay increases has been in %.
In order for it to be a 3 cent raise the person has to be at $15 and only worked there a month with a 2% raise. And I don’t think we give raises to anyone under 90 days.
It’s probably 3%.

In order for it to be a 3 cent raise the person has to be at $15 and only worked there a month with a 2% raise. And I don’t think we give raises to anyone under 90 days.
It’s probably 3%.
2% of $15 is 30c an hour. and if it's 3% then it would be .45c an hour... .03c an hour is .002% ... I'm thinking it's not .03c an hour.

Back