Archived Modernization Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to create consistency for my team in HL. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for creating routines for both inbound and non-inbound TMs in Gen Merch areas. What you or your TL have set as regular expectations, that seem to work well?

We're stuck in the freight-focused push and it's ruining productivity for other things, like pricing, zoning, auditing and setting. Want to create habits so everything is addressed better.

As a DBO in Toys who usually has 6-7 hour shifts:
I start every morning with an hour zone. It might seem like a lot but honestly this is the only way to keep toys maintained. I put away stray as I go and also shoot EXFs as I go.

After zoning/stray is done, I pull my EXFs and my autofills if nobody else pulled them. I then work those.
From here, I assess the situation and see how much freight I have relative to how many salesplans/revisions and price change I have to do. If freight is somewhat light, I work all of my freight, and then use any remaining time to work on salesplans/revisions.

If freight is heavy or I have a lot of salesplans/revisions/price change, I jump into those immediately after the zone, and then work freight after that. Ultimately I try and prioritize zone and POG/Price Change stuff, because I know the closers won’t finish that for me, but they might finish my freight for me.
Overall it’s consistency that works for me. Toys has been having great comp numbers compared to area stores and I’ve stayed completely on top of my workload. I rarely have to roll any freight and I haven’t had a single overdue PC/POG yet.

Auditing has been hard lately because it feels like it’s always broken. But I try and audit once or twice a week whenever I have time.

Looking to create consistency for my team in HL. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for creating routines for both inbound and non-inbound TMs in Gen Merch areas. What you or your TL have set as regular expectations, that seem to work well?

We're stuck in the freight-focused push and it's ruining productivity for other things, like pricing, zoning, auditing and setting. Want to create habits so everything is addressed better.
My first question to you would be, "How are they being scheduled?"
If they're only given 4 hours to do everything, it's not going to work. We've been trying to implement our own routines but if truck is not getting unloaded right as the inbound team comes in, you're screwed for the day. We are still having to have Inbound team members clear/push freight that rolled over from the day before truck. Vehicles need to be pushed but without the payroll being allocated correctly, team members schedule right and everyone hustling to get done, you'll always be behind.
Let me know if there's a magic solution because I would like to have some insight as well.

My first question to you would be, "How are they being scheduled?"
If they're only given 4 hours to do everything, it's not going to work. We've been trying to implement our own routines but if truck is not getting unloaded right as the inbound team comes in, you're screwed for the day. We are still having to have Inbound team members clear/push freight that rolled over from the day before truck. Vehicles need to be pushed but without the payroll being allocated correctly, team members schedule right and everyone hustling to get done, you'll always be behind.
Let me know if there's a magic solution because I would like to have some insight as well.

Even in A&A this is a killer. We've had our truck person call off for breaking down A&A to push and they'd have to get someone to fill in but it was always later than it was normally done. The end result was that the morning team could not clear all the zracks because they weren't getting access to them until the end of their shift. Which meant the midshift had to finish zracks and couldn't finish metros which left the night crew with the metros and meant the zone was bad the next morning and gobacks were out of hand leaving the morning team to finish those which would put the morning team behind on getting to the truck again because the zone is priority and so is the fitting room. It can quickly become a vicious cycle of running behind. ><

I run market but our system is basically this on truck days:

DBO drops manual fill all batch (for coolers, eventually everywhere) and pulls the pulls.
Then push truck, auditing in exf as they go. Truck is sorted well so it is doable. Zone each aisle as they push it, no more than five minutes spent on zoning (full aisles don’t get jacked up as easy).
After truck dbo does price change. They do not (presently) drop exf batches at this point because any corrections will drop with pulls tomorrow anyways, no point in touching a section three times in a day.

The key is doing everything for an area when they are in that area. You touch a four foot section you zone and audit it.

In three months we have doubled our comp percent so I’m assuming this works. We were doing modernization before it rolled out because it works as long as I get exactly the amount of hours as my time says I should.

I set salesplanners and do twelve steps.

We're still figuring it out, and it'll probably change again, but I've been pulled from unload so now I start my day with pulling batches for my area, push those, then collect repacks that have come off the truck so far for my area. My TL always wants me to push the repacks first, then case packs. I generally work only truck days (that could change - ?) and I consider myself fortunate if I can finish the truck push before I have to leave. The goal though is for me to also zone and audit my area as I go. Unfortunately for me, the person who's now doing the unload for my area doesn't sort the u-boats so great. Hoping it gets better so I can finish the case packs more quickly.

As a DBO in Toys who usually has 6-7 hour shifts:
I start every morning with an hour zone. It might seem like a lot but honestly this is the only way to keep toys maintained. I put away stray as I go and also shoot EXFs as I go.

After zoning/stray is done, I pull my EXFs and my autofills if nobody else pulled them. I then work those.
From here, I assess the situation and see how much freight I have relative to how many salesplans/revisions and price change I have to do. If freight is somewhat light, I work all of my freight, and then use any remaining time to work on salesplans/revisions.

If freight is heavy or I have a lot of salesplans/revisions/price change, I jump into those immediately after the zone, and then work freight after that. Ultimately I try and prioritize zone and POG/Price Change stuff, because I know the closers won’t finish that for me, but they might finish my freight for me.
Overall it’s consistency that works for me. Toys has been having great comp numbers compared to area stores and I’ve stayed completely on top of my workload. I rarely have to roll any freight and I haven’t had a single overdue PC/POG yet.

Auditing has been hard lately because it feels like it’s always broken. But I try and audit once or twice a week whenever I have time.
Why would you shoot and pull EXFs before pushing freight? You’re working against yourself.

I run market but our system is basically this on truck days:

DBO drops manual fill all batch (for coolers, eventually everywhere) and pulls the pulls.
Then push truck, auditing in exf as they go. Truck is sorted well so it is doable. Zone each aisle as they push it, no more than five minutes spent on zoning (full aisles don’t get jacked up as easy).
After truck dbo does price change. They do not (presently) drop exf batches at this point because any corrections will drop with pulls tomorrow anyways, no point in touching a section three times in a day.

The key is doing everything for an area when they are in that area. You touch a four foot section you zone and audit it.

In three months we have doubled our comp percent so I’m assuming this works. We were doing modernization before it rolled out because it works as long as I get exactly the amount of hours as my time says I should.

I set salesplanners and do twelve steps.

You backstock everything you push as well?

I have a daily To Do list....

Walk endcaps and sidecaps - zone & fill
Pricing
Fix any issues in the BR - anything that can be done quickly
Freight/Autofills - zoning and back stocking as I go - shoot AUDITs as I am wrapping up the truck. Usually hit the worst areas, or one aisle/POG at a time - also fixing Capacities and SFQ as I find them

--
Then I add on a couple of extra tasks each day depending upon whatever is the most important - REV/SPL, Purging, Audit/EXF, PTMing --- I focus on what it important (like preparing for upcoming Holidays or setting, etc.)

I always try to think ahead.... like I am focused on what people need for their Summer Activites (traveling, day camp, BBQing, Swimming, Patio parties) + I have BTC and BTS in my mind.

Eventually, I want to get to where I Audit more often on every none truck day, or light truck day. I am not there, yet -- I need to purge my stockroom (and make sure there are no Baffles, first.)

Non - truck days, I walk the stockroom looking for "random shit" -- pallets, shippers -- anything for my area that needs my attention

Last edited:
Got a BTS shipper today. Nobody every told me what a shipper is so I'm guessing that's it. Pretty much just one of those displays that holds product, like a side cap. Anyway, what do I do with it since obviously BTS isn't set yet? My TL left for the day when I got to it so I backstocked it for now

Why would you shoot and pull EXFs before pushing freight? You’re working against yourself.
It’s what we’ve been told to do. It gets it on the floor faster I guess. I’ve thought the same thing but my leaders told me we have to do EXFs first.

It’s what we’ve been told to do. It gets it on the floor faster I guess. I’ve thought the same thing but my leaders told me we have to do EXFs first.

Your leaders are in for a world of pain in toys during 4th quarter with that stuff. Half the autofills come on the truck every day. The exfs are going to be worse. Just wasting time doing the exfs first.

Got a BTS shipper today. Nobody every told me what a shipper is so I'm guessing that's it. Pretty much just one of those displays that holds product, like a side cap. Anyway, what do I do with it since obviously BTS isn't set yet? My TL left for the day when I got to it so I backstocked it for now

Is it a sidecap shipper? If yes, then check to see if it has an upcoming pog on the zebra yet (usually a 107, maybe a 102). If it does, you can tie and set it early (anywhere on the floor in your area that makes sense). Better to have it on the floor now than sitting in the back taking up valuable space!

For Market, EXF before truck is like a basic FIFO tactic.

For any other area of the store, if your truck is received as a Push All, then the SFQ is automatically updated with the truck's On Hand quantities. So pulling EXF before pushing a truck will cause on floor quantity issues.

EXF all your backstock, before backstocking, to ensure capacity and on floor quantities match. Or you'll have issues with your pulls, and unnecessary pulling, pushing and backstocking will occur. Or worse, purging will be required.

A lot of GVPs are wanting EXFs shot first with the idea of draining the backroom of eaches and backstocking casepacks. So don’t blame your TLs ETLs and STL when something is changed that seems counterintuitive; we’re being made to do it by someone who’s never actually worked in a store.

A lot of GVPs are wanting EXFs shot first with the idea of draining the backroom of eaches and backstocking casepacks. So don’t blame your TLs ETLs and STL when something is changed that seems counterintuitive; we’re being made to do it by someone who’s never actually worked in a store.
If everything in the back was casepacks everything would be unlocated in my store because ship from store wouldn't relocate what they take lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back