Archived No more ETL HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
first off... all your hrtms think youre getting upgraded... what happens if your etl-hrs decided to take the 40hr position and loss of title but keep their hourly rates? stop celebrating until the water clears out
second... hr-etls from my experience have been practically useless in making the store run. the hrtms carried the load... who gives a crap about "fff decorations"
third... this concerning for the other operational etls in the buildings losing their hrs... a 50hr work week can easily be pushed to a 60hr now
fourth... all the money that target is "saving" by cutting this position is now being pushed into their $7billion remodel for the frontend and groceries of stores. Target has not learned from all these other brick and mortar businesses that have gone bankrupt?! gone are the days of winning the retail battle due to sheer sales floor square footage. Target should be investing into more efficient logistic models, downsizing the salesfloor and remodeling that into larger backroom SFS areas to compete with the online retail landscape... but that would be too smart
1: My store, along with what must be many other stores, would NEVER consider promoting our HRTM to a SrTL. I must be missing the celebration you're seeing.
2: What load is the HRTM carrying? Editing the schedule? Calling in interviews/shift coverage? There is a LOT more involved in HR than just that. However, an ETL is not needed for HR, but the same can be said for any other ETL position as well.
3: An ETLs schedule cannot easily be pushed to 60.
4: If you think money being saved by cutting ETL-HRs makes a dent in 7 billion, you're grossly mistaken. Target IS evolving to emulate other brick-and-mortar stores, cutting ETL-HRs is just one of many rollouts coming to stores soon. Have you been living under a rock? Over the last several years and going forward, Target has spent vast sums of money to streamline logistics.

downsizing the salesfloor and remodeling that into larger backroom SFS areas to compete with the online retail landscape..

Only 66% of stores have ship from store and we are an A+ volume without it so I don't agree that it's the future of the company.

I think the key is to be Target at its best core values yes online sales are an increasing piece of the pie but our in store experience can be great again. If we try to straight be Walmart or straight be amazon we will fail at both

first off... all your hrtms think youre getting upgraded... what happens if your etl-hrs decided to take the 40hr position and loss of title but keep their hourly rates? stop celebrating until the water clears out
second... hr-etls from my experience have been practically useless in making the store run. the hrtms carried the load... who gives a crap about "fff decorations"
third... this concerning for the other operational etls in the buildings losing their hrs... a 50hr work week can easily be pushed to a 60hr now
fourth... all the money that target is "saving" by cutting this position is now being pushed into their $7billion remodel for the frontend and groceries of stores. Target has not learned from all these other brick and mortar businesses that have gone bankrupt?! gone are the days of winning the retail battle due to sheer sales floor square footage. Target should be investing into more efficient logistic models, downsizing the salesfloor and remodeling that into larger backroom SFS areas to compete with the online retail landscape... but that would be too smart

No offense, but the CEO straight up has said in every interview that he is investing in our logistics processes and distribution chains. The problem is NOT that we do not have enough backroom space, the problem is that our logistics model fills up our backroom too much. Again, I have now seen the test stores using the new supply chain model and they are empty in their backrooms.

While I agree that the backrooms have typically been too full, it makes way more sense to utilize the space we have. It is significantly faster to replenish from the backroom than from the DC. Our backroom has lightened up significantly recently since my team started heavily using the manual CAFs function on the mydevice. Autofills have been almost 2x the normal size, however we are seeing minimal backstock. Based on what we've seen the standard triggers aren't aggressive enough and it's likely stores are sitting with backrooms full of product that would fit if pulled.

Before we move all of the sorting and palletizing product to significantly more expensive DC TMs, I would like Target to focus on getting the processes we already have dialed in. It makes sense for them to palletize things like transition because we know it will be staged off the trailer and need to be sorted and wrapped either way. All they would need to do is trap the product longer instead of sending it out in a trickle 3 weeks in advance and it would make everyone's job easier. I don't think it makes sense for general merch product at this point. Simply sending a sane amount of each product would dramatically improve the backstock situation. Late last year we received several hundred cases of the same DPCI of toy that we had no chance to sell. My bulk list on each trailer was 20+ cases each night for weeks. I understand there are times the DC needs to purge things, but it doesn't make sense that our bulk list is consistently straight backstock. I don't need 120 eaches of body pillows that have a capacity of 4.

They converted several DCs to UDCs and they are designed for quicker replenishment of specific classes of products. It sounds great. Then we get the green repacks in and tons of them have 5 or less items inside. It's silly. I'm tired of seeing a huge repack wasted for one belt or two shirts. Then I look at the pallets they send the SL team and they are multiple of the same assortment case and I end up with 20 of the same medium shirt. Break those out into the under-filled repacks and send me what we are expected to sell in a week. Don't send me a full box of accessories, put what I can fit on the floor into a repack instead of sending me a case with 12 of the same big handbag.

Repacks are completely useless currently. I'd much rather Target expend the resources they want to waste on palletizing pallets on coming up with a better solution to repacks. Why does a combo repack exist that contains food, sporting goods, and domestics? I'd much rather have a new organization system that is color-coded instead of numbered. Going back to the stupid green repacks, I like that they print the number on so I don't have to deal with people who cannot circle to save their lives, but when ones that do come in sorted simply tell me they are blocks 13-16, which doesn't help because that is literally everywhere in SL. They need to better group repacks based upon department/SF location so that the horseshoe sorting can be eliminated. That would save so much time since we could throw them in with the wave and they could push as they went.

If they changed stupid things like this we could limit the amount of unnecessary product back there and hold on to more "fast movers" and similar product. We could speed up the current process with only minimal changes that eliminate excess work. Once we get to that point, I think that we should look at options like completely palletized trailers, but I don't think they are the solution yet. For now, we should keep the product coming to the stores where it can be sold.

Only 66% of stores have ship from store and we are an A+ volume without it so I don't agree that it's the future of the company..

I think the key is to be Target at its best core values yes online sales are an increasing piece of the pie but our in store experience can be great again. If we try to straight be Walmart or straight be amazon we will fail at both

Well some stores didn't get SFS since they didn't have room for it or they had a very close store that did. What happened with my store, our backroom is tight no room for a packing station or On-line only inventory but a sister store 15min down the road does and frankly its the only thing keeping them open.

Redesign the layout of stores but don't bother to actually staff them. Cutting corners is the target way and until they fix that issue - nothing is ever going to work.

Yesterday was the text book example of the WTF Target. Get a pog for a Clorox wipe shipper. Pog spends time making sure its set up on the floor. They leave for the day. Closers come in and that ETL hates it and orders TL to kill it. So he does, doesn't untie pog, and just jams out some of the product also untied on a random chem end cap. Also overpacked to a dangerous level. Why do we do that to ourselves? I get rigs for it and can't find the damn thing when I just saw it there and know we didn't sell fucking shipper of wipes in less than 24hrs.

And the TL who screwed over so many other work centers? Nothing will happen other than get that ETL's approval that "he gets stuff done!"

While I agree that the backrooms have typically been too full, it makes way more sense to utilize the space we have. It is significantly faster to replenish from the backroom than from the DC. Our backroom has lightened up significantly recently since my team started heavily using the manual CAFs function on the mydevice. Autofills have been almost 2x the normal size, however we are seeing minimal backstock. Based on what we've seen the standard triggers aren't aggressive enough and it's likely stores are sitting with backrooms full of product that would fit if pulled.

Before we move all of the sorting and palletizing product to significantly more expensive DC TMs, I would like Target to focus on getting the processes we already have dialed in. It makes sense for them to palletize things like transition because we know it will be staged off the trailer and need to be sorted and wrapped either way. All they would need to do is trap the product longer instead of sending it out in a trickle 3 weeks in advance and it would make everyone's job easier. I don't think it makes sense for general merch product at this point. Simply sending a sane amount of each product would dramatically improve the backstock situation. Late last year we received several hundred cases of the same DPCI of toy that we had no chance to sell. My bulk list on each trailer was 20+ cases each night for weeks. I understand there are times the DC needs to purge things, but it doesn't make sense that our bulk list is consistently straight backstock. I don't need 120 eaches of body pillows that have a capacity of 4.

They converted several DCs to UDCs and they are designed for quicker replenishment of specific classes of products. It sounds great. Then we get the green repacks in and tons of them have 5 or less items inside. It's silly. I'm tired of seeing a huge repack wasted for one belt or two shirts. Then I look at the pallets they send the SL team and they are multiple of the same assortment case and I end up with 20 of the same medium shirt. Break those out into the under-filled repacks and send me what we are expected to sell in a week. Don't send me a full box of accessories, put what I can fit on the floor into a repack instead of sending me a case with 12 of the same big handbag.

Repacks are completely useless currently. I'd much rather Target expend the resources they want to waste on palletizing pallets on coming up with a better solution to repacks. Why does a combo repack exist that contains food, sporting goods, and domestics? I'd much rather have a new organization system that is color-coded instead of numbered. Going back to the stupid green repacks, I like that they print the number on so I don't have to deal with people who cannot circle to save their lives, but when ones that do come in sorted simply tell me they are blocks 13-16, which doesn't help because that is literally everywhere in SL. They need to better group repacks based upon department/SF location so that the horseshoe sorting can be eliminated. That would save so much time since we could throw them in with the wave and they could push as they went.

If they changed stupid things like this we could limit the amount of unnecessary product back there and hold on to more "fast movers" and similar product. We could speed up the current process with only minimal changes that eliminate excess work. Once we get to that point, I think that we should look at options like completely palletized trailers, but I don't think they are the solution yet. For now, we should keep the product coming to the stores where it can be sold.

There is one major problem with the backroom model you are suggesting, and that is it is making an extra trip. What is cheaper? Truck to Floor or Truck to Backroom to Floor? I agree with the sending of stupid crap (uhh obviously the DC didn't know what to throw on this trailer so they filled it with bulk paper that will last me a week or more). I also agree with the green repacks and a different system, which appears to be something that they are working on right now.

Again, the only problem I have is your utilization of the backroom. Its an opportunity cost when it comes to a finite amount of square footage, so in business we have to ask ourselves what will drive the most profit? If you have something taking up space in your stockroom then it means it is full on your floor. If it is full on your floor then the backroom location is not driving any additional sales unless it is selling so much that it is replenishing before the next trailer can fill it. If this is the case then it should likely be an item on an endcap and have an increased capacity since you would be needing to manually fill it throughout the day anyway. Now, to further the point, is it possible to get rid of the redundant items in our stockroom and utilize the stockroom in a way that can drive additional sales for stores through another medium?

Not to mention the immense amount of capital that is tied up in idle inventory enterprise-wide.

1: My store, along with what must be many other stores, would NEVER consider promoting our HRTM to a SrTL. I must be missing the celebration you're seeing.
2: What load is the HRTM carrying? Editing the schedule? Calling in interviews/shift coverage? There is a LOT more involved in HR than just that. However, an ETL is not needed for HR, but the same can be said for any other ETL position as well.
3: An ETLs schedule cannot easily be pushed to 60.
4: If you think money being saved by cutting ETL-HRs makes a dent in 7 billion, you're grossly mistaken. Target IS evolving to emulate other brick-and-mortar stores, cutting ETL-HRs is just one of many rollouts coming to stores soon. Have you been living under a rock? Over the last several years and going forward, Target has spent vast sums of money to streamline logistics.

1) it looked like some of the hrtms posting on here were eye'ing themselves and shoe ins for the new positions
2) none of the ones I interacted with ever seemed to be doing nothing but that, i wasn't saying all were virtually unneeded.
3) cannot be easily pushed to 60... please, I routinely shoulder 60hr work weeks as it is.
4)the thinking where "in store experience will drive business" is a dead narrative. Dick Sporting Goods had the same mantra when I was with them and I saw our district struggle day in and out with sales goals. Today's consumers want conveinance, low prices, and ease of access. If you haven't been in a Walmart lately I suggest going into one, the progress they've made on their in store appeal has been upped drastically.

Living under a rock?! Our logistics process is dated and the exact opposite of efficient. I'm not too far from a D.C. and get frequent visits from their leaders looking at my SFS center. Words from their mouthed not mine but when we have 3 systems that do not communicate with each other to transfer furniture from one end of their facility to the other only by loading it into a trailer and then unloading it... yeah I know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's you that doesnt

1) it looked like some of the hrtms posting on here were eye'ing themselves and shoe ins for the new positions
2) none of the ones I interacted with ever seemed to be doing nothing but that, i wasn't saying all were virtually unneeded.
3) cannot be easily pushed to 60... please, I routinely shoulder 60hr work weeks as it is.
4)the thinking where "in store experience will drive business" is a dead narrative. Dick Sporting Goods had the same mantra when I was with them and I saw our district struggle day in and out with sales goals. Today's consumers want conveinance, low prices, and ease of access. If you haven't been in a Walmart lately I suggest going into one, the progress they've made on their in store appeal has been upped drastically.

Living under a rock?! Our logistics process is dated and the exact opposite of efficient. I'm not too far from a D.C. and get frequent visits from their leaders looking at my SFS center. Words from their mouthed not mine but when we have 3 systems that do not communicate with each other to transfer furniture from one end of their facility to the other only by loading it into a trailer and then unloading it... yeah I know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's you that doesnt
3: That's your choice, changing ETLs from 50 to 60 is not 'easy.' Develop/trust your team and you won't have to be there 60 hours every week.
4: Yes, living under a rock. You seem to be tuning out numerous adjustments Spot has been making to its logistics processes. Since Cornell took over, Target has been advancing the efficiency agenda, as we are inching closer to some major overhauls to the process. You can cherry-pick problems all you want, but that isn't going to overshadow the inevitable changes to come. Unfortunately no one can just wave a magic wand and make the changes overnight as you seem to insist.

Again, you can see the plans that the CEO is laying out before us, and there are tons of moves taking place even within the next few months to show their priorities (in my opinion) are where they should be...

1) Supply Chain Changes: Palletization of Freight and an Each to Each Replenishment model are already being tested and have begun to rollout to stores. This is going to reduce excess inventory within stores and reduce trips of both product and team members. This will also open up the delivery windows and add flexibility to our trailer delivery times, and allow for the segregation of trailers between stores that are close geographically (ie an ULV and a HV within 5 miles of each other, but the ULV trailer is often under utilized at 1500 or less for overall carton count).

2) Store Staffing Changes: The above change will greatly reduce the payroll being spent in stores during non-operating hours. Stores will no longer require 30+ people in the building before the store opens, and instead can add this payroll into the store dayside operations. What would 30 more shifts a day look like at a Target?

3) Leadership Structure Alignment: With the disbanded logistics teams, ETL and TL alignment will change. No longer will you have a Flow TL with 600-1000 hours of the store payroll, and a Salesfloor TL who is watching over 1 TM. Payroll (and responsibility) will be evened out between the departments. ETLs will be over the company focuses instead of outdated titles and operations. Style, Essentials, Grocery, and Service will be the focuses and our organizational structure will reflect that.

4) Field Leadership Structure: We have already seen this begin to change. Areas that are required to run a business, but not within the focus of stores, appear to be going to a TL/BP structure. HR will have an hourly rep within the building who answers to an HRBP within the district. This will reduce costs in a sense, but an ETL-HR never got to spend much time in HR either so it is difficult to measure exact costs for these areas. This is a cost and budgeting technique by segregating the areas from the general store leadership team. I believe we will continue to see this structure for HR and AP (already exists from PM) and future areas below.

5) These changes will open up or stockrooms almost completely. An empty stockroom is wasting money in a sense because its a large square footage of the store that is not driving revenue. I think the strategy behind the above changes is to convert our stores into two distinct businesses. The STL and ETLs are your general store managers and doing the normal brick and mortar business. I believe that we will begin to see online specific items being delivered to stores (pre-sorted onto pallets now!), and our stockrooms will be used as not just fulfillment centers for Target.com, but could potentially be used as a logistics service for anyone wanting a cheap supply chain method. A Senior TL - Digital Sales who answers to a general Digital Sales BP could run a business out of essentially a large warehouse in the back of the store. I can see there being a large operation in stores, fulfilling 300+ orders a day and filling a trailer full of pallets of product. Receiving could be remodeled to be more open with packing stations. This one is more speculation but, if you think about it, we could have multiple fulfillment centers in almost every city of the US.

There are plenty of online retail businesses now. If you look at these they generally have to open up a warehouse, and just buy and sell through amazon and then fulfill orders and deliver. We are on the path to do the same, but we already have them all built throughout the nation, its just about opening up the space to allow for it to happen.

Last edited:
Now, to further the point, is it possible to get rid of the redundant items in our stockroom and utilize the stockroom in a way that can drive additional sales for stores through another medium?

The SWADD function on the PDA. Ok you have full casepacks with more than 20 on hands, you can scan it into SWADD to see if you can sweep it out.

Again, you can see the plans that the CEO is laying out before us, and there are tons of moves taking place even within the next few months to show their priorities (in my opinion) are where they should be...

5) These changes will open up or stockrooms almost completely. An empty stockroom is wasting money in a sense because its a large square footage of the store that is not driving revenue. I think the strategy behind the above changes is to convert our stores into two distinct businesses. The STL and ETLs are your general store managers and doing the normal brick and mortar business. I believe that we will begin to see online specific items being delivered to stores (pre-sorted onto pallets now!), and our stockrooms will be used as not just fulfillment centers for Target.com, but could potentially be used as a logistics service for anyone wanting a cheap supply chain method. A Senior TL - Digital Sales who answers to a general Digital Sales BP could run a business out of essentially a large warehouse in the back of the store. I can see there being a large operation in stores, fulfilling 300+ orders a day and filling a trailer full of pallets of product. Receiving could be remodeled to be more open with packing stations. This one is more speculation but, if you think about it, we could have multiple fulfillment centers in almost every city of the US.

There are plenty of online retail businesses now. If you look at these they generally have to open up a warehouse, and just buy and sell through amazon and then fulfill orders and deliver. We are on the path to do the same, but we already have them all built throughout the nation, its just about opening up the space to allow for it to happen.

THIS!! Yes, this could work in competing with Amazon or at least, will be a big boost to online sales. Except instead of filling a trailer full of products, we should have a small team of delivery drivers who would deliver to the local area. Filling a trailer should be from a warehouse to a store where it'll be distributed locally. If our store will be a fullfillment center of sorts, it'll be a waste of time if the products will go from warehouse to stores to a smaller distribution center to local areas.

THIS!! Yes, this could work in competing with Amazon or at least, will be a big boost to online sales. Except instead of filling a trailer full of products, we should have a small team of delivery drivers who would deliver to the local area. Filling a trailer should be from a warehouse to a store where it'll be distributed locally. If our store will be a fullfillment center of sorts, it'll be a waste of time if the products will go from warehouse to stores to a smaller distribution center to local areas.
They are actually testing SFS local delivery right now. Local orders will prompt to be held separately and a 3rd party company will come pick them up at 3am the next day and deliver them to the local post offices in time to go out for delivery that day.

That's good but get rid of the "deliver to local post office". Just hire a third party to deliver them locally. Online orders that are not within stores will be delivered from warehouse to the store, already boxed or not. Stores will sort them into delivery routes and drivers will be given a route to deliver these products. Cut time in delivering products to post office. This could work for same day delivery. Just my thoughts.

That's good but get rid of the "deliver to local post office". Just hire a third party to deliver them locally. Online orders that are not within stores will be delivered from warehouse to the store, already boxed or not. Stores will sort them into delivery routes and drivers will be given a route to deliver these products. Cut time in delivering products to post office. This could work for same day delivery. Just my thoughts.
Probably cheaper to just have the postal service deliver them the next day. Considering in most places the mail man would already be going down those streets anyway on a daily basis.

Maybe... I dunno. I'm just thinking of the "I want it now" mindset and the way it is done in Amazon. The key though is through their software. I just thought it might be more efficient this way.:oops:

For same day delivery, that would make sense. But except in major metro areas, that won't really be a big draw for a while. The post office would be much cheaper because they already have the infrastructure in place and would be delivering along their normal routes. Amazon does the same thing (they even pay for the post office to deliver Amazon packages on Sundays).

Redesign the layout of stores but don't bother to actually staff them. Cutting corners is the target way and until they fix that issue - nothing is ever going to work.

^THIS!

You can get away with half a$$ing somethings, but Target has been half a$$ing almost everything for SO long that it is starting to show.

1) Supply Chain Changes: Palletization of Freight and an Each to Each Replenishment model are already being tested and have begun to rollout to stores. This is going to reduce excess inventory within stores and reduce trips of both product and team members. This will also open up the delivery windows and add flexibility to our trailer delivery times, and allow for the segregation of trailers between stores that are close geographically (ie an ULV and a HV within 5 miles of each other, but the ULV trailer is often under utilized at 1500 or less for overall carton count).

2) Store Staffing Changes: The above change will greatly reduce the payroll being spent in stores during non-operating hours. Stores will no longer require 30+ people in the building before the store opens, and instead can add this payroll into the store dayside operations. What would 30 more shifts a day look like at a Target?

3) Leadership Structure Alignment: With the disbanded logistics teams, ETL and TL alignment will change. No longer will you have a Flow TL with 600-1000 hours of the store payroll, and a Salesfloor TL who is watching over 1 TM. Payroll (and responsibility) will be evened out between the departments. ETLs will be over the company focuses instead of outdated titles and operations. Style, Essentials, Grocery, and Service will be the focuses and our organizational structure will reflect that.

4) Field Leadership Structure: We have already seen this begin to change. Areas that are required to run a business, but not within the focus of stores, appear to be going to a TL/BP structure. HR will have an hourly rep within the building who answers to an HRBP within the district. This will reduce costs in a sense, but an ETL-HR never got to spend much time in HR either so it is difficult to measure exact costs for these areas. This is a cost and budgeting technique by segregating the areas from the general store leadership team. I believe we will continue to see this structure for HR and AP (already exists from PM) and future areas below.

#3 is a big one. Stores are full of Flow TLs supervising 25-30 team members and a dozen team leads who are either supervising themselves or one team member. It just doesn't make sense.

It would look A LOT of product on vehicles, on a vehicle, rather than on a register. I get their Guest interaction points, but they must realize that getting the product to its location even when the store was CLOSED was a struggle for most stores before we were even open.

I feel bad for the one Flow TM who worked early mornings to avoid guests because their face was badly mangled in a car wreck, and can barely even speak, sounds like mostly mumbles, would often ask to leave early even on very heavy truck days because of the looks he got.'

Your point #5 is the best, and probably the only reason 1-4 exist.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the one Flow TM who worked early mornings to avoid guests because their face was badly mangled in a car wreck, and can barely even speak, sounds like mostly mumbles, would often ask to leave early even on very heavy truck days because of the looks he got.'
Our store is ON & there are a lot of folks who are night-crawlers for a reason.
They're hard workers but I know we'll lose them once they start pushing to early morning.

Our store is ON & there are a lot of folks who are night-crawlers for a reason.
They're hard workers but I know we'll lose them once they start pushing to early morning.

This. We're a 4am store and have several deaf/hard of hearing tms who Im pretty sure work flow at least partly because communication with guests is pretty much a non-issue. I hope they don't leave if things change.

Actually you don't know what they do but whatever makes you feel secure.

You have a right to feel the way you do but I don't think an HRTM knowing what you make is the end of the world. Confidentiality is drilled into us all during training and failing in that area is a quick route to termination.
They must skip that part of the brain washing in my district, those bitches talk about everyone to just about anyone... I can't tell you how many conversations I've heard because "it's just minion".

Looks like a lot of local stores have cut ETL-HR and have started hiring for HRTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back