Archived Shift hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a minimum amount of hours a team member must work when they are scheduled? Or, can you be told to leave before your shift ends?

I believe atleast 3 hours and with hours so tight they send everyone home to save payroll (plus bonuses are based off of this so of course leaders want to save payroll)

Is there a minimum amount of hours a team member must work when they are scheduled? Or, can you be told to leave before your shift ends?

Minimum pay is 3 hours. So if you show up and they send you home you just need to remind hr to key minimum pay for you.

This time of year sometimes stores cut hours and try to send people home. You technically don't have to go home but others here have said they were retaliated against for not going home when asked.

Hmmm myself and a few others were sent home after 2 hours. We were not asked. We were told that,"We can go home now."

Hmmm myself and a few others were sent home after 2 hours. We were not asked. We were told that,"We can go home now."

Ask your HR for the minimum pay like I said.

Plus notice the passive aggressive terminology? "You can go home now" is different from "You have to clock out right now" you arent supposed to tell people they have to go home. Cutting is optional except in emergencies.

I tell tms when we cut payroll you don't have to but it would help us if you went home.

Your leadership just didn't ask because they know they can't force you but the way they worded it you probably didn't feel confident telling them you want to stay.

Last edited:
The last shift I worked, No call outs. On a PAY day at that!! Yeah, it's pretty serious on payroll and apparently people when you have a shift like that. Granted everyone should show up for the job, but we all know that is not always the case.

I have a question , many major retailers are giving out bonuses, and helping their employees financially. Why is target trying to financially harm its employees?
Is target financially in trouble? Is target hanging on by a thread? Is its business model a failure?
Why arent their any incentives or good will gestures from target to its employees?
For a tm who wants to “move up” is target the wrong Corporation for that? Should we all just stop trying and do a lousy job, just as target is doing in taking care of us?

Target and Wal-Mart have to do some awful things to be competitive. I don't doubt Target coul not cut payroll but if the profits fall, do the investors bail too? Do we become Sears or Kmart?

I would argue there is some store leadership issues here I think most would prefer a store giving a steady 30 hours a week then one who gives me 40 but has me at 4 hours the last two weeks of the month because they didn't budget correctly

I have a question , many major retailers are giving out bonuses, and helping their employees financially. Why is target trying to financially harm its employees?
Is target financially in trouble? Is target hanging on by a thread? Is its business model a failure?
Why arent their any incentives or good will gestures from target to its employees?
For a tm who wants to “move up” is target the wrong Corporation for that? Should we all just stop trying and do a lousy job, just as target is doing in taking care of us?

Not quite in the spirit of this thread but...

First, Target is not trying to intentionally harm its employees. That being said, Target is unintentionally hurting its employees and itself.

Target is in rough spot (no pun). We never learned from Canada. If you go out and read industry reviews and papers regarding how we operate, it becomes very clear we have some serious internal problems. No, it had nothing to do with expansion, but the lack of understanding and realization of how far behind we are in our supply chain process.

We cannot keep our shelves full. Our inventory management system and all other systems that interact with it do not work well together. You read through all of these threads and you see a lot of internal problems that should not be happening given who we are.

We tried to solve a lack of online capacity by moving some of it to the stores. It's all the new rage. But when you delve into it, you realize that in the industry it has more to do with cutting down ship times (proximity) or leveraging extra capacity at peak times, or dealing premature shortages. It's not a sustainable model cost wise vs. a free standing warehouse operation to meet demand. Team members at my store have noticed how terribly inefficient it is; Supplier to DC to Store to unbox to shelf to only be pulled repackages and shipped out to a guest.

Then we have E2E or Store Modernization. This was a direct response to our inventory management systems. Couldn't quite get it up an running company wide. Why? Because we have other internal problems that have prevented it. Beside that, could you imagine pushing a 53' Repack?

We have to have backstock to cover the turn around time it takes to get merchandise back into the store. Until we can improve our turn around time after the point of sale, backstock will be necessary.

E2E on the other hand will just add a lot of extra work restocking shelves due to the number of pcs and trucks required (frequency) at this time. This is why you have to utilize case quantities to increase efficiency, not pcs. Correct capacities and sound inventory numbers make a huge difference when cost are involved. The goal is to increase turns without increasing material handling cost.

Then we struggle with payroll. Why? We are off queue with our cost. Turn around time for store replenishment along with the daily operational cost of running a store have not been adequately measured at the position level. Time studies are not done. We use averages way too much given the technology out their and the amount of time we have been around.

At least we are trying. That in itself says something about us.

That being said, until we can get a handle on our operational cost while keeping the supply line at or near capacity throughout the year (seasons). We are going to struggle with premature shortages, empty shelves, and worst of all over shipments. This all impacts Target's ability to do more for it's Team Members.

Learn from your experience here at Spot. We have elements of very well managed organization. You can learn a lot from these things. But also be aware of the things that don't work and why. This is where you can really learn.

As for horizontal and vertical movement, you have the advantage to see the "real side" of how it works. Use this to your advantage if you think it would be a good career path. You can't change anything until you can demonstrate that you can win continuously in the current system and/or resolve a problem that leads to continuous success.

If you should choose a career at Spot, never complain. It would be bad form on your part given you had the inside view of how it really works.

Good luck to which ever way you decide is best for you.

Not quite in the spirit of this thread but...

First, Target is not trying to intentionally harm its employees. That being said, Target is unintentionally hurting its employees and itself.

Target is in rough spot (no pun). We never learned from Canada. If you go out and read industry reviews and papers regarding how we operate, it becomes very clear we have some serious internal problems. No, it had nothing to do with expansion, but the lack of understanding and realization of how far behind we are in our supply chain process.

We cannot keep our shelves full. Our inventory management system and all other systems that interact with it do not work well together. You read through all of these threads and you see a lot of internal problems that should not be happening given who we are.

We tried to solve a lack of online capacity by moving some of it to the stores. It's all the new rage. But when you delve into it, you realize that in the industry it has more to do with cutting down ship times (proximity) or leveraging extra capacity at peak times, or dealing premature shortages. It's not a sustainable model cost wise vs. a free standing warehouse operation to meet demand. Team members at my store have noticed how terribly inefficient it is; Supplier to DC to Store to unbox to shelf to only be pulled repackages and shipped out to a guest.

Then we have E2E or Store Modernization. This was a direct response to our inventory management systems. Couldn't quite get it up an running company wide. Why? Because we have other internal problems that have prevented it. Beside that, could you imagine pushing a 53' Repack?

We have to have backstock to cover the turn around time it takes to get merchandise back into the store. Until we can improve our turn around time after the point of sale, backstock will be necessary.

E2E on the other hand will just add a lot of extra work restocking shelves due to the number of pcs and trucks required (frequency) at this time. This is why you have to utilize case quantities to increase efficiency, not pcs. Correct capacities and sound inventory numbers make a huge difference when cost are involved. The goal is to increase turns without increasing material handling cost.

Then we struggle with payroll. Why? We are off queue with our cost. Turn around time for store replenishment along with the daily operational cost of running a store have not been adequately measured at the position level. Time studies are not done. We use averages way too much given the technology out their and the amount of time we have been around.

At least we are trying. That in itself says something about us.

That being said, until we can get a handle on our operational cost while keeping the supply line at or near capacity throughout the year (seasons). We are going to struggle with premature shortages, empty shelves, and worst of all over shipments. This all impacts Target's ability to do more for it's Team Members.

Learn from your experience here at Spot. We have elements of very well managed organization. You can learn a lot from these things. But also be aware of the things that don't work and why. This is where you can really learn.

As for horizontal and vertical movement, you have the advantage to see the "real side" of how it works. Use this to your advantage if you think it would be a good career path. You can't change anything until you can demonstrate that you can win continuously in the current system and/or resolve a problem that leads to continuous success.

If you should choose a career at Spot, never complain. It would be bad form on your part given you had the inside view of how it really works.

Good luck to which ever way you decide is best for you.
Lots of details and analysis. I’ll just stick to my point of target harming the financial well-being of its employees, by cutting hours so drastically. Other than the 10 % discount, what other benefits are TMs offered?
You look at home depot which has options to buy discounted company stock, the Homer Fund, and other merit base incentives for its employees.
Wholefoods does profit sharing. Cvs has pharmacy cross training and pays for your pharmacy tech license.
What does spot offer? What makes it unique and attractive to emplyees that want to make a career out of it?
The whole culture stinks. It feels like the writing is on the wall “ this is a sinking ship” Leadership seems to be the punch in punch out type, unless their asses are being torn up from higher ups. Or a visit.
I’ll milk it for as I can too. While looking at the grass on the other side.

Ask your HR for the minimum pay like I said.

Plus notice the passive aggressive terminology? "You can go home now" is different from "You have to clock out right now" you arent supposed to tell people they have to go home. Cutting is optional except in emergencies.

I tell tms when we cut payroll you don't have to but it would help us if you went home.

Your leadership just didn't ask because they know they can't force you but the way they worded it you probably didn't feel confident telling them you want to stay.

Thank You. I'll check with HR. Our HR Sr TL was working all weekend. I would guess she knew about it...but maybe not. Three days in a row we needed to leave before our scheduled time.

Thank You. I'll check with HR. Our HR Sr TL was working all weekend. I would guess she knew about it...but maybe not. Three days in a row we needed to leave before our scheduled time.
She got the email from the stl to cut hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back