MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Have either of your stores been updating sfc/sfq as you are setting? And if you are, have you noticed any big issues with counts? Things like sales floor counts for brand new items so the backstocked items don't pull even though the shelf is empty, sales floor counts not updating after you pull/push, sales floor counts matching sfq instead of actual on hands, items not pulling in a pog or exf batch and will only come out if locu'd.

I see display quantities messed up all the time

Have either of your stores been updating sfc/sfq as you are setting? And if you are, have you noticed any big issues with counts? Things like sales floor counts for brand new items so the backstocked items don't pull even though the shelf is empty, sales floor counts not updating after you pull/push, sales floor counts matching sfq instead of actual on hands, items not pulling in a pog or exf batch and will only come out if locu'd.

I haven't payed much attention to the counts TBH, but I make sure one person starts pulling the batch first thing before HBA DBOs starts pulling 1for1s so they don't get batched together. After we set and push our batches, we start pushing our trapped pallets. Once we are sure we pushed everything, we audit the out of stock. So far our aisles has been looking pretty full. Although I do notice a few items we have in the back that weren't pulled during audits.

Can ANYONE fully explain the pretie fiasco I went through today?

My SD and another store's SD emerge from the office and walk our shampoo aisles, which we just finished. He asks if we broke the preties before we tied the aisles. No I said. He said our OH's are off because we tied the aisles without breaking the preties first. What?? I've never done that before.

What's the point of pretying aisles then? According to our SD, we aren't allowed to trap product anymore on skids. It must go out with the DBO to either be pushed to the floor or backstocked. Why pretie then?

And if I hear the word "data" again, I'm going to scream.

I like to pre-tie for so many more reasons than trapping freight (which sure saves time to not have to backstock AND pull!):
DBO knows in advance where something will be even if it has no current location - to me tells them to not push/not backstock, wait til set.
Setting team can see where merch is moving from/to - simplifies when merch moves aisles.
Should make tying easier - but I have never ‘untied’ a pre-tie since tying it unties at the same time. I don’t understand the difference there.

’‘ data“ ? I havn’t heard anyone use it - must be ‘SD speak‘ specific to your area. But I sympathize, any word used more than 3 times in any conversation gets annoying.
Hairs on my arms go up when i hear ‘reach out’ - aarrrggg. Been over-used.

I’ve heard some issues with capacities/Sales floor quantities being off. Sounds like they might be looking for a scapegoat as to why. Sorry.
Might be an opening to ask you to fix all like SigningLady was asking.

I have set many pogs that found zero items in the backroom under management when dropping batch. Yet if I scan EACH label separately - there they are -backstocked. I bring a sheet of labels with me and remove each item individually. A pain but the pog got filled when no batch was created.

My SD and another store's SD emerge from the office and walk our shampoo aisles, which we just finished. He asks if we broke the preties before we tied the aisles. No I said. He said our OH's are off because we tied the aisles without breaking the preties first. What?? I've never done that before.

What's the point of pretying aisles then? According to our SD, we aren't allowed to trap product anymore on skids. It must go out with the DBO to either be pushed to the floor or backstocked. Why pretie then?

This sounds kind of like nonsense on your SD's part. Pre-tieing is to be used for trapping freight for a transition and when the new pog is tied, the items trapped will automatically have the sfc updated. It does not mess with your on hand counts though. As I discovered today: new items will update the sfc to match the sfq and not to match OHs which makes no logical sense.

If you pre-tied and do not trap freight but backstock it instead, the problem arises that when the new pog is tied, the sfc updates automatically which results in new items not pulling because the system thinks they are already there despite being located in the backroom and (sometimes) matching OHs.

This sounds kind of like nonsense on your SD's part. Pre-tieing is to be used for trapping freight for a transition and when the new pog is tied, the items trapped will automatically have the sfc updated. It does not mess with your on hand counts though. As I discovered today: new items will update the sfc to match the sfq and not to match OHs which makes no logical sense.

If you pre-tied and do not trap freight but backstock it instead, the problem arises that when the new pog is tied, the sfc updates automatically which results in new items not pulling because the system thinks they are already there despite being located in the backroom and (sometimes) matching OHs.

We were told by the sd just last week that nothing can be trapped. It has to be put on the uboats to be sent to the dbo's. If it isn't flexed out, it's to be backstocked. Now I'm hearing another song and dance from him. Whatever.

Look up the criteria to pre-tying POGS. It states "the transitions listed on the Pre-Tie schedule are recommended due to a combination of high freight volume, a high percentage of new SKUs and trapping. It is recommended to only Pre-Tie Pogs that you plan to stage the new product arriving. This will reduce the chance of negatively impacting SFQs when tying the POG."

This is why the company creates a pre-tie calendar which tells you the departments that "need" to be pre-tied and freight that needs to be trapped.

Last edited:
Look up the criteria to pre-tying POGS. It states "the transitions listed on the Pre-Tie schedule are recommended due to a combination of high freight volume, a high percentage of new SKUs and trapping. It is recommended to only Pre-Tie Pogs that you plan to stage the new product arriving. This will reduce the chance of negatively impacting SFQs when tying the POG."

This is why the company creates a pre-tie calendar which tells you the departments that "need" to be pre-tied and freight that needs to be trapped.

And here's another way the company is screwing the pooch. My SD clearly doesn't understand any of this. Your quote says to "stage product" ... while we got a lecture about we're not supposed to ever stage anything anymore. Ahhh, the joys of inefficiency.

And here's another way the company is screwing the pooch. My SD clearly doesn't understand any of this. Your quote says to "stage product" ... while we got a lecture about we're not supposed to ever stage anything anymore. Ahhh, the joys of inefficiency.

Your SD and DSD sound like morons.

When you have 30 18 inch shelves but 42 22 inch shelves in your fixture room... Why the heck do we need so many 22 inch.

When you have 30 18 inch shelves but 42 22 inch shelves in your fixture room... Why the heck do we need so many 22 inch.

We have twice as many 22s as 18s. But that is because we swapped most of our 18s on the floor for 22s where the basedeck would allow. PITA when setting and told to update sfc/sfq.

Back