MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Depends on how fast they do it. I ordered all new shelf liner and backer for the Dyson section (looking pretty dull), so I doubt they will have time for the 3x5s, but they do try to help me with any signing if time allows.

I will be happy if they get all their displays built.....

Depends on how fast they do it. I ordered all new shelf liner and backer for the Dyson section (looking pretty dull), so I doubt they will have time for the 3x5s, but they do try to help me with any signing if time allows.

I will be happy if they get all their displays built.....

I always had to build the displays, do the 3X5's and the set.
The team just had to rearrange the boxes.

Oh, and sell vacuums to guests, then explain to the PTL why it took so long.

Last edited:
They sent us all new backer paper and shelf liner and a refresh for Dyson. My team will print the 3x5's if I remind them. I did all of the displays.

I really like the new set up. It's much cleaner and now, since most of the vacuums are displays, all those pesky attachments can be tossed.

So, I sent in feedback about the naming issue. I gave them a negative on the friendly reply. In the comments I expressed how the signing was indeed in several different boxes for one aisle and several different stores had also found it to be true. I wouldn't send in a MySupport if that isn't what I experienced.

Their responce:
"We apoligize again for the inconvenience."

%#$!*&

So, I sent in feedback about the naming issue. I gave them a negative on the friendly reply. In the comments I expressed how the signing was indeed in several different boxes for one aisle and several different stores had also found it to be true. I wouldn't send in a MySupport if that isn't what I experienced.

Their responce:
"We apoligize again for the inconvenience."

%#$!*&

Could you respond to that, preferably with "%#$!*&"

This week, I insisted on having a pda to scan the bar codes on the boxes, and realized they tied them to the generic headers instead of a unique item, like the outrigger.. ugh! Thankfully none of the boxes for this week were marked with the alphabet!

Anyone else a early BTS set? I start my prebuild next week and setting BTS the week of the 23rd.......... I'll be sure to pass along any problems/fixes I find for those of you setting later.

That's annoying with the signing! I haven't had much to do with the set this week but it looks challenging for sure.

I'm at a BTS early set store. The lawn/patio markdowns last week were tough but the product is moving out fast, thankfully. The week of 6/23 will be a tough one (BTS/what remains of lawn/patio/furniture/80 something hours of sales planners/I'm sure I'm missing something).

anyones hours seem off for the market set?

i know market always takes a little longer for fifo and cleaning, but our team worked really hard and still couldn't get the candy set within the time they wanted. the other pogs didn't seem as bad.

also, anyone got ideas on how to streamline the ppa process?

They sent us all new backer paper and shelf liner and a refresh for Dyson. My team will print the 3x5's if I remind them. I did all of the displays.

I really like the new set up. It's much cleaner and now, since most of the vacuums are displays, all those pesky attachments can be tossed.

My plano team doesn't change the backer paper either unless it changes to a different type (peg to solid, etc.). We still have old faded backer paper. All the new ones get chucked into the trash by the team. I still remember a conversation with ETL-SL after the infants set where they sent a refresh for the department - "Why is the backer paper different shades of white? What do I say to that? I can't control what the team does.

If Target wants the backer paper to change, they need to change the paper for the departments each time they do a major transition, then the team will change the paper. Only way it will happen.

I agree with you about the vacuum wall. It looks AMAZING.

My plano team doesn't change the backer paper either unless it changes to a different type (peg to solid, etc.). We still have old faded backer paper. All the new ones get chucked into the trash by the team. I still remember a conversation with ETL-SL after the infants set where they sent a refresh for the department - "Why is the backer paper different shades of white? What do I say to that? I can't control what the team does.

If Target wants the backer paper to change, they need to change the paper for the departments each time they do a major transition, then the team will change the paper. Only way it will happen.

There have been times when I've had to point out that, yes it is different.
Remember the light grey that replaced the white?
I'm sorry you have two aisles done but it's not my fault you just glanced at it and didn't bother to check the number.

I'm sorry you have two aisles done but it's not my fault you just glanced at it and didn't bother to check the number.

Wow. Your team actually looked at the line listing? I'd give anything for them to look at the line listing and notice stuff like backer paper and signing that must go on before the shelves, dividers, and merchandise.

Then again they are in the same position as everyone else....less time allowed then it actually takes never you mind things like unforeseen snafus with either the planogram instructions/space allotments or the fixtures not working with other fixtures the way they are supposed to. Suddenly you are way behind with the possibility of everyone from District on down looming over you wondering "Why is it taking so long?" which is other-speak for "I don't care why it's taking so long--make it not take so long!"

It's week's like this one where I have to remind myself that I truly do enjoy the work I do (when allowed time to do it so that it is right and not "good enough" rushed.)

I've had to train my team on checking for signing, reading the line listing, and getting fixtures.

It's still a bit of an opprotunity, but it's slowly getting better.

I think they are getting tired of me calling them back one by one to get their stuff. :D

Now, if I can get them to stop bringing back expired signing, I'd be in heaven.

I've had to train my team on checking for signing, reading the line listing, and getting fixtures.

I think they are getting tired of me calling them back one by one to get their stuff. :D

When you can get them to bring me my aspirin bottle (with the pills still in it) I'll try for other tricks like those.

I will tell them that they have new backerpaper for their aisle but when I come back to the fixture room the box is still sitting there. I always have to bring it to them. If only I could get them to put up their displays too.

I would rather they leave expired signing than throw it away. This way I can double check to make sure it doesn't go back up.

Except when it's stuff like holiday Signing with a one-time only date on it and they bring back all the headers and toppers after the set. Double demerits when they stick that Valentines header in with the brand ones and I don't find it until the following Halloween.

Just walked the Vac wall and see all the backer paper full of holes in it all down the POG. (and no, its not punched paper). I go back to Signing and there is an open, but unused full box of the white circle paper. Lucky for them I am cleaning house and thinking about doing a fire sale (read: stuffing the baler) on all backer paper (and out goes the evidence). I used to try and keep some backup, but they are making me keep gondola parts in my area now, and somethings gotta go.

I stopped keeping backpaper a long time ago. It just collected dust.

I get toss happy every other week or so. I refuse to keep stuff they won't use.

Yea, well.
I had the signing and backer paper for an endcap in HVA but it was a ghost that they had set but didn't actually do.
The HL TL said put it aside and maybe I'll be able to clear one of the clearance endcaps to use it.
Three weeks later I had a big shipment of signs come in, I checked there still was no place for the signs and backer paper so I chucked them.
A week after that there was a big visit so the HL TL came to me looking for the signing, then wrote me up for throwing it away.
My only advice, I guess, is to make sure you CYA and get coverage every time you throw something out.

I treat salesplanner signing differently.

I'll go through that maybe once a month, see if it's located then send an email to the TLs and ETL Hardlines.

I audit the signing after each set and my PTL does the same after I've done it. If it's extra, I toss. If it's a fixture ( adhesive dividers for some odd reason) the send a ton , I toss.

There's no sense in keeping it.

Just walked the Vac wall and see all the backer paper full of holes in it all down the POG. (and no, its not punched paper). I go back to Signing and there is an open, but unused full box of the white circle paper. Lucky for them I am cleaning house and thinking about doing a fire sale (read: stuffing the baler) on all backer paper (and out goes the evidence). I used to try and keep some backup, but they are making me keep gondola parts in my area now, and somethings gotta go.

Again, I digress my previous post...if they want us to change the backer paper, make it different from what is already up on the walls. Otherwise, don't bother sending it to us!

I stopped keeping backpaper a long time ago. It just collected dust.

I get toss happy every other week or so. I refuse to keep stuff they won't use.

Yea, well.
I had the signing and backer paper for an endcap in HVA but it was a ghost that they had set but didn't actually do.
The HL TL said put it aside and maybe I'll be able to clear one of the clearance endcaps to use it.
Three weeks later I had a big shipment of signs come in, I checked there still was no place for the signs and backer paper so I chucked them.
A week after that there was a big visit so the HL TL came to me looking for the signing, then wrote me up for throwing it away.
My only advice, I guess, is to make sure you CYA and get coverage every time you throw something out.

New question. What do you guys do for salesplanner signing at your store? Specifically the Core SPLN signing?

I am just about out of ideas on how to make sure that stuff goes up when they set the endcaps, because it doesn't always call for the backer paper/signing/toppers on the planogram, but it is on the sheet inside the box. I've communicated that information, and it still doesn't get done.

I've also gotten to the point where if it says Active NOP, it goes right in the trash, regardless of whether it's a display or a sign. No time, no space. I've already been yelled at by the ETL for tossing it out.

Last edited:
I feel like almost everything in terms of tossing is a catch-22.

like commie mentioned earlier - my ETLs want to be toss-happy all the time, until they NEED that ONE THING that was tossed and they can't handle it. "what do you mean we don't have it!?!?!?! we're supposed to have backup......." whatever decision you make they want the other thing. I basically keep a couple sheets from all the common papers for maintenance. besides what are the chances of them sending me two sheets of backer paper in the ISM pallet that aren't destroyed? they're really getting on my nerves though about space so i think right now i am going to play the "everything must go" card and see how much they like waiting and playing the "i'll have to order it for you" game. i think im tossing all paper, mixed pallets that got thrown together randomly instead of put away properly (pallet of cosmetic fixtures that means you). i have a pallet of woodgrain shelf shams that we HAD TO HAVE for bounceback that haven't even been opened. i am thinking i will gut everything, and when i have to reorder it (because i know we'll need it) i'm going to hold them to putting it out or tossing it again. like, a good portion of my job was saving the store money by minimizing orders and maintaining the stock of things in the store vs constantly tossing and reordering but my current leadership just doesn't care. i don't know how much of it will take until they realize how much money they are throwing away by operating like this but i guess i will find out soon enough.

My job yesterday was to put up all those fixtures they ask me to order and then don't put up.

Fun Fun

Commie, I can't believe you got wrote up for tossing old backer paper. Morons.

Salesplanner signing has been a thorn in my side since I started.

I have a blocked out space for it now and I will kindly break it out according to sales block. ( A\B, C\D, E\F, G, Infants\Softlines ).

I send emails to the TLs and ETL responsible each week, letting them know what's back there.

At the end of the month, I audit what's left, place into carts if it's located for the TLs responsible and send emails and tell them in person they are set up.

Core signing, they rarely put the backer up for it, but I keep one box of it until the end of the rotation so they can't say it wasn't there.

I just communicate my buns off so I can show I took every step possible to get it put up.

our salesplanner signing is located in a backroom loc. it doesn't pull, but you can look it up and subt it out.

our tm didn't change the vac paper either. i had the tm go back and redo the whole thing. that paper was yellow, punchy, and NASTY. he knows better (especially since i specifically said it had to be changed). i can handle taking longer to do things right, but i won't tolerate not setting/redoing something 100% to brand because of laziness.

When TLs used to do salesplanners they only put the headers up and only a few put the backerpaper up too. When presentation took over salesplanners, I had a lot more control of making sure all the signing got set.

For the vac wall the team only changed the backerpaper that had a bunch of holes in it. About 60 percent the wall has bright new backerpaper and the rest has faded backerpaper. It looks so bad, especially when you can see the color difference next to each other.

Back