MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Welcome Naomi. Don't be afraid to make changes in the signing room. When I first came to this store, the peghooks & fencing were in the back of the room, I moved them to the front, because they are the most commonly used. I slowly replaced all the cardboard waco boxes with grey bins and moved speedrack shelving around to accommodate them. Come up with ways to make putting away fixtures easier for someone who has never been in the room to figure out how to put things away. Things like that. Hasn't been an overnight change, but it stays pretty good. And if I know who left a mess, I nicely confront them about why they couldn't put there own fixtures away. Well, maybe not so nicely sometimes. I never put up with shelving left on the floor if there is room to put them away. Good luck.

Welcome to the Break Room and the signing thread Naomi.
I might suggest going back through this thread when you have a little time (OK a lot of time) and take a look at some of the suggestions for the fixture rooms (there are even pictures).
The biggest challenge is to get the rest of the store trained to do things properly and that requires you talking to your TL and the ETL.
Explain what you are trying to do and push hard to make it so.

Here is what your signing room should like:

I'm not signing, but I was walking past the fixture room the other week and could not believe how clean it was. So I took a picture! Just felt like sharing:

img1078u.jpg

The items in their wire baskets are the softlines bars.

BTW, where do you keep the softlines shelves?

Same prototype as mine, so you have another entire aisle, right? I have moved everything signing into that aisle. Where you see the signing here is where I hung the chrome bars and then hang my softlines bars & fencing.

Show this picture & study it well. the bins were located with fixtures, at one point per best practice.

003.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 010.JPG

This is the progress I made. So far its been two weeks and it's been maintained. I've been called a few names in the process (know it all, bossy, etc) but the bottom line is everyone is much happier with it being accessible. Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely trying to change the culture in our store to being more focused and organized and respectful with our fixture room. It's an ongoing battle but it's good to know that most stores are dealing with similar problems. :)

Last edited:
GTC for naomi.
You are doing awesome work.
That is one of the better looking fixture rooms I've seen.
Enforcing the no wheels rule must be fun.
Can't tell you how many times I've come to work and found the fixture room stuffed with carts and flats full of crap.

Last edited:
View attachment 358View attachment 359View attachment 360View attachment 361

This is the progress I made. So far its been two weeks and it's been maintained. I've been called a few names in the process (know it all, bossy, etc) but the bottom line is everyone is much happier with it being accessible. Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely trying to change the culture in our store to being more focused and organized and respectful with our fixture room. It's an ongoing battle but it's good to know that most stores are dealing with similar problems. :)
Great job! My new signing person is trying to do the same thing. It's baby steps, but its progress.

How's everyone dealing with the Halloween set? We had some major confusion with where to put backer paper!! We set mini seasonal last week and used our backer paper there. The cover page listed new backer but the backer was not in the line listings - after a mysupport we were told not to use backer in mini but only on the endcaps. Then we ran low for rear seasonal but it sounds like they only wanted it on endcaps and a few new gondolas - but no backer paper or costumes?!!?

Total confusion happening on our end - that's for sure! Anyone else struggling with this?

How's everyone dealing with the Halloween set? We had some major confusion with where to put backer paper!! We set mini seasonal last week and used our backer paper there. The cover page listed new backer but the backer was not in the line listings - after a mysupport we were told not to use backer in mini but only on the endcaps. Then we ran low for rear seasonal but it sounds like they only wanted it on endcaps and a few new gondolas - but no backer paper or costumes?!!?

Total confusion happening on our end - that's for sure! Anyone else struggling with this?

Second that! I found it odd because I don't recall many sets over there that didn't get any backer paper at all. We left it bare for the time being, and we'll see what our PTL wants to do.

Commie Can we get rid of the Greggs? Its been taken too far and its not funny any more. While I don't think any one man is worth the paycheck he brings in, he is the CEO of the company we all work for and I think pretending to represent him is just asking for trouble. Just my opinion........

I just unloaded my Halloween CSE and FOS overheads today, but we aren't going to set any rear seasonal until Friday. The set date was for the 29th, but I'm going to try and get it done well before that. How long did it take, from box to baler, to hang the FOS?

I was shocked at how late they wanted FOS overheads to be set! I planned on setting them last week after we finished setting mini but I still havent received my FOS overheads! We skipped our supply truck on monday when it was supposed to arrive and my pallet didn't come yesterday either. I'm crossing my fingers it comes today.

I think it'll take me 4 hours to hang my FOS's and racetracks. Luckily I removed my BTS pencil overheads a bit ago so I wont have anything else to do but hang the new Halloween ones.

just got my FOS/Checklanes/Directional today. Is there CSE for this set? I was going to unload and set it all tonight, but my store doesn't care about signing and they want me to push for plano instead and do the overheads next week. :angry:

I'm pretty sure the CSE's were what was in the enormous, heavy, flat box. I had to drag mine out of the sweeps trailer where it was tossed. It didn't come on the pallet, but by itself.

That's awful! My store is all about the signing because they understand it drives sales! Remind your ETLs the importance of it! But I can relate, I get pulled to help Plano almost every single week but they are making efforts to stop doing it so I suppose I cant complain.

Ugh. Opened my rear seasonal overhead box.....and one of the skeleton arm was missing. The one that holds the sign and you attach the finger tips. Didn't get a chance to see if there was an update speaking to it. Did this happen to anyone else?

If there is CSE mine is MIA, but considering how behind my overnight execs are, i wouldn't be surprised. my rear skeleton package came complete, so I don't think that the missing arm is global.

5 feet Tall? That isn't a "signing" cart as far as I know. It sounds like an old silver cart that hasn't been sent to stores in a decade. Those were originally used for storing front lane merch, like gum, candy, etc.

yeah, a cart like that sounds awesome.

although i did see our bike builder had an awfully nice cart the other day......(.....store away for future SAP search.....)

Back