MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Doing a couple all-nighters to set up back to school early and haven't even received the backerpaper yet. I guess they are going to have to give out even more hours to build the shippers when they come in because the 'seasonal' team most likely isnt.
No backer paper this year. Just grey dot.

What is pre-tie? Exactly
If you do it will everything automatically tie to that location the day it's supposed to set so all you have to do is print labels and make the merch update n moves?

Is just for big sets?
What happens if you tie something instead of pretie the week before it sets?

It will add your pretie locations to the pick label of the carton, so when the merch. comes off the truck, it can easily be sorted, stage, and pushed w/o using a zebra. This is mainly used in upcoming transitions, search for pre-tie schedule on workbench on when and which dept should be pretied. Usually you want to do this 2 weeks in advance.

Pre-tying will not automatically tie your POG, you still have to do it manually the day it sets. DO NOT tie it earlier than the day it sets! Only pre-tie.

Last edited:
What is pre-tie? Exactly
If you do it will everything automatically tie to that location the day it's supposed to set so all you have to do is print labels and make the merch update n moves?

Is just for big sets?
What happens if you tie something instead of pretie the week before it sets?
Pre-tie to o a Logistics ETL is the best thing in the world because now that merchandise no longer has to be backstocked off the truck NOR pulled in a batch - saving tons of time. The pick labels show the team that this is transition merchandise with a location so they are able to sort it and ‘trap’ it on a pallet to be pushed all together day of set. I have been asked to pre-tie all SPL. I keep up with the pre-tie list but I haven’t gone that far yet because much of that stuff is dually located and i’m Concerned home location merchandise will stay trapped from delivery for weeks until we set and tie that endcap.

how many pallets of ism for bts/btc did you guys get? i got one late last week but i'm hoping i'm going to get more this week because it's technically when they're supposed to arrive. the only thing on this one pallet is several different bins for endcaps + bins for a cart + pillow bin + furniture bin and the big essentials bin. i'm missing everything else, including overheads.

how many pallets of ism for bts/btc did you guys get? i got one late last week but i'm hoping i'm going to get more this week because it's technically when they're supposed to arrive. the only thing on this one pallet is several different bins for endcaps + bins for a cart + pillow bin + furniture bin and the big essentials bin. i'm missing everything else, including overheads.

I got the same as you. Probably sent those first somehow assuming they would/could be built early. 🤣🤣🤣

It will add your pretie locations to the pick label of the carton, so when the merch. comes off the truck, it can easily be sorted, stage, and pushed w/o using a zebra. This is mainly used in upcoming transitions, search for pre-tie schedule on workbench on when and which dept should be pretied. Usually you want to do this 2 weeks in advance.

Pre-tying will not automatically tie your POG, you still have to do it manually the day it sets. DO NOT tie it earlier than the day it sets! Only pre-tie.

Sorted? Lolololol. Oh sure, it's all ..... IT HAS TO BE PRETIED!!!!!! .... but then when it comes in, they just shove everything onto random pallets. We'll set mini or rear seasonal and have to finish setting every aisle before we push. Or, we have to sort through mixed pallets.

So really, preties mean nothing if it doesn't get sorted.

We'll even get items that aren't part of the pretie on there just because there is no salesfloor location. Rear seasonal patio: shippers for A, granola bars, etc.

So don't get on me about doing preties when the last 10 sets, nothing gets sorted. All it is at that point is wasted time on my end. At that point, it would be better to backstock it all and let us pull it. Then, we'd at least control the amount we have to backstock after the push.

But every log ETL and sd thinks preties are magic. Oooooh! No, there is a specific reason to do them.

As the business owner for front of store, I have Bullseyes Playground transitioning this week. I pretied it as soon as I was able to and the inbound team palletized all of it and wrapped it for the steel. So yes for me I find the pretie helpful because it would take me days to backstock all that and it would be such a waste of time. I don’t see any disadvantage to pretie

As the business owner for front of store, I have Bullseyes Playground transitioning this week. I pretied it as soon as I was able to and the inbound team palletized all of it and wrapped it for the steel. So yes for me I find the pretie helpful because it would take me days to backstock all that and it would be such a waste of time. I don’t see any disadvantage to pretie

Really though, every ..... single ..... box .... of Bullseyes Playground is marked on the outside. Why would it even need to be pretied?

The disadvantage is time and perception. It takes time to map all that out. Rear seasonal sometimes has 40 pogs to sit and type out. If it doesn't get sorted, what was the use?

And perception. For people in the store who have never done the preties, sorted, or set, they seem to think preties make the product magically fly on the shelves and set itself. Happens so many times.

But I understand the value of it also. But everyone has to do their part.

Really though, every ..... single ..... box .... of Bullseyes Playground is marked on the outside. Why would it even need to be pretied?

The disadvantage is time and perception. It takes time to map all that out. Rear seasonal sometimes has 40 pogs to sit and type out. If it doesn't get sorted, what was the use?

And perception. For people in the store who have never done the preties, sorted, or set, they seem to think preties make the product magically fly on the shelves and set itself. Happens so many times.

But I understand the value of it also. But everyone has to do their part.
I never pretie bullseye. Such a waste of time. It’s always labeled and flex 98% of the time

I never pretie bullseye. Such a waste of time. It’s always labeled and flex 98% of the time

Personally Bullseye shouldn’t need flex until things are close to being discontinued which is around the time you can start pre-tying anyway.

And you have to tie it eventually so pre-tie just makes it like two buttons to fully tie it when it comes time to set it. I find it’s the opposite of what you’re saying. It saves time and not wastes time.

Its not a lot of effort to pre-tie so I don’t know where you find that a waste of time.

Id be interested to know what your store does with that transition because if they are backstocking it that is a waste of time. And if they are just flexing it, I can only imagine how hard that is to maintain. Which you would need to pull all back out when it gets set. Yikes

Got another pallet of BTS signing/shipper, still missing some things but apparently there's suppose to be an oversized pallet coming this week.

How do they expect us to audit if shit not coming in all at once.

Were more than half way done with setting.

Got another pallet of BTS signing/shipper, still missing some things but apparently there's suppose to be an oversized pallet coming this week.

How do they expect us to audit if shit not coming in all at once.

Were more than half way done with setting.

Audit!? Lol. I don't even get hours to unpack. I'll have to break down all the pallets when I walk in Sunday night. But it's cute how some stores have hours for signing while others, apparently, get 0. Audit..... still laughing.

Has anyone else not received anything at all for BTS yet?

I'm starting to get a little worried seeing that a couple of you at least got a partial shipment last week. Makes me think that was a 'special' shipment since the normal signing pallet was the Project Moonbeam stuff and the rest of the BTS would be on this week's pallet.

Would really hurt to be missing anything. We are basically done setting (only backpack area isn't done since it still has all of our clearance), they're just waiting on me to get the bins now.

Personally Bullseye shouldn’t need flex until things are close to being discontinued which is around the time you can start pre-tying anyway.

And you have to tie it eventually so pre-tie just makes it like two buttons to fully tie it when it comes time to set it. I find it’s the opposite of what you’re saying. It saves time and not wastes time.

Its not a lot of effort to pre-tie so I don’t know where you find that a waste of time.

Id be interested to know what your store does with that transition because if they are backstocking it that is a waste of time. And if they are just flexing it, I can only imagine how hard that is to maintain. Which you would need to pull all back out when it gets set. Yikes
We push it all off the truck and on days it’s heavy transition we trap it like any other transition and work it daily until it’s gone. Bullseye is not hard to flex and have it look good. Keep everything in its theme and you’re fine.

I'm starting to get a little worried seeing that a couple of you at least got a partial shipment last week. Makes me think that was a 'special' shipment since the normal signing pallet was the Project Moonbeam stuff and the rest of the BTS would be on this week's pallet.

Would really hurt to be missing anything. We are basically done setting (only backpack area isn't done since it still has all of our clearance), they're just waiting on me to get the bins now.

If it makes you feel any better, the store weekly for July 1 says expect 2 pallets and 1 oversize ISM pallet. When day does your signing normally come in?

If it makes you feel any better, the store weekly for July 1 says expect 2 pallets and 1 oversize ISM pallet. When day does your signing normally come in?

Usually either Monday or Tuesday. But I actually just got a message from my TL, looks like they came around 10 minutes after I left today. We ended up with 2 oversized pallets and one regular, all looked slam full and pretty tall.

So that's a relief. That gives me 3 days to get it all built, and I think I'll have at least one person helping me tomorrow.

completely randomly but i checked my job title on email and mysupport again today and it's changed from "general merchandise expert" to "style consultant" lol. if they try to schedule me in softlines i'm gonna be SALTY.

Back