MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

The great thing is I get to do BTS all over again at another store in my district because their signing guy is going on vacation. Why did I say yes?! At least it will be easier the second time around.

WOW. How the heck did they approve that vacation? They always check the signing/plano workload for the week of the requested time off before they approve any of my time off requests, especially if it's a major transition set, or heavy workload...BTS, Electronics, Toys, Small Appliances, Cosmetics, Halloween. Lawn&Patio, and most definitely NOT Christmas...all are verboten.

Started building the sl towers/bins. Definitely more than we've had in the past! Only tip I can pass along is not to fold the side of the shelves until after you get them slid on. Leaving that flap open gives you a little window to help you see to line up the clips.

BTW they updated the adjacency hours for signing on Friday. From 16 to 34...... I came back in the store dripping sweat (yes, its killer hot here) and told my PTL theres no way I can complete everything in 2 days! "OH! I forgot to tell you....":girl_mad:

Buidling my SL bins now.

I got lucky this week and completed my revision workload yesterday so I have the rest of the week to prebuild.

I'm so excited, I could dance.

Started to build BTS bins. Built the freestanding bins and started the notebook bins. Looks like I have about 8 giant boxes of notebook bins to build.

Yeah, after breaking down twogiant pallets, I kinda stopped counting.

All I know is I have a pile of boxes larger than I am to build.

I have one person schedule 4 hours on Friday. I am scheduled 8 on Thursday this week. I don't know how we're going to get anything built. no one seems concerned, so im not worrying.
luckily, all my guys are scheduled next week for bts. EXCEPT MY SIGNING GUY. who gets to go on vacation (bust---wanna come and do my set too lol). I lost my temper just a little on that one. first, the pets reinvention, then patio build, and then bts, he needs to be off? yeah. my etl is a moron. i'll bet my paycheck that come Halloween he needs to be off again.

I have one person schedule 4 hours on Friday. I am scheduled 8 on Thursday this week. I don't know how we're going to get anything built. no one seems concerned, so im not worrying.
luckily, all my guys are scheduled next week for bts. EXCEPT MY SIGNING GUY. who gets to go on vacation (bust---wanna come and do my set too lol). I lost my temper just a little on that one. first, the pets reinvention, then patio build, and then bts, he needs to be off? yeah. my etl is a moron. i'll bet my paycheck that come Halloween he needs to be off again.

How does that even work?
I couldn't imagine getting the time off during major builds.
Not only is your ETL an idiot, it seems like he hates you.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree.

If I asked for any time off like that, they'd laugh me out of the building.

I have to ask, what does yout signing person do then?

If they aren't there to manage the large signing builds, I can't imagine that the small stuff fills their time.

I built my SL bins last Friday. My tip: Build them upside down. Much easier to see what you're doing.

Started seasonal bins today. Got 5/8 standing bins done in 1/2 day. Will have 3 full days to build the rest of the week, and I now realize how lucky I am to have that.

I'd have to agree.

If they aren't there to manage the large signing builds, I can't imagine that the small stuff fills their time.

he wastes time. i've focused on learning all the major types of signing/builds, and i know how long it takes. i give him time to do orders and such, plus the amount of time required on the signing workload. example... he said the sl bins would take him 2 days to build. i had a gal help me and we got them done, on the floor, and pulled before store opening. he's knowledgeable, but has gotten extremely lazy. he chooses to do the wrong thing, or he will ask multiple lods (after being given direction) and try to "think" over everything rather than actually working. maybe he's burned out. he had gotten better, but the last few weeks have been bad. any tips for motivation?

I'd have to agree.

he wastes time. i've focused on learning all the major types of signing/builds, and i know how long it takes. i give him time to do orders and such, plus the amount of time required on the signing workload. example... he said the sl bins would take him 2 days to build. i had a gal help me and we got them done, on the floor, and pulled before store opening. he's knowledgeable, but has gotten extremely lazy. he chooses to do the wrong thing, or he will ask multiple lods (after being given direction) and try to "think" over everything rather than actually working. maybe he's burned out. he had gotten better, but the last few weeks have been bad. any tips for motivation?

See if there's another store that wouldn't mind switching with you for a couple of weeks.
Kind of a spouse swap, you take their signing ninja, they take yours.

Between seeing how lucky he is having you to work for and how hard he could be working, I suspect that after that he would be very motivated.

How does that even work?
I couldn't imagine getting the time off during major builds.
Not only is your ETL an idiot, it seems like he hates you.

That's what I said up above about them checking the plano workload and my workload before any time off is approved. I already know what times/sets are verboten for time off request. Seems like the TM should know better than that.

I'd have to agree.

See if there's another store that wouldn't mind switching with you for a couple of weeks.
Kind of a spouse swap, you take their signing ninja, they take yours.

Between seeing how lucky he is having you to work for and how hard he could be working, I suspect that after that he would be very motivated.

Can I volunteer?

lol NOP... I wish I could bring all y'all... we would revolutionize the world of planogram!!! imagine if we could have a pog meeting of the minds like hr gets to do every year. even if it was a district meeting with a few folks, and maybe the dtl to come in towards the end for some problem solving stuff, it would be awesome!

lol NOP... I wish I could bring all y'all... we would revolutionize the world of planogram!!! imagine if we could have a pog meeting of the minds like hr gets to do every year. even if it was a district meeting with a few folks, and maybe the dtl to come in towards the end for some problem solving stuff, it would be awesome!

I love this idea!

I love going to events like Plano-rama because of being able to talk with others in my position. You gets tips and tricks and sometimes you are able to solve things with combined experience.

It truly is beneficial.

I love this idea!

I love going to events like Plano-rama because of being able to talk with others in my position. You gets tips and tricks and sometimes you are able to solve things with combined experience.

It truly is beneficial.

you know, I tried to start an email chain with our ptls because most of them are new. ive trained 5 or 6 in the last 18 months, and a couple of them just quit. but hardly no one responds. it makes me sad. no one wants to help or give advice, or in the case of our district, they seem to want to say they're the best rather than improving the company as a whole or have someone help with their process. i wish someone would give me pointers to improve myself or my team. thank goodness for TBR!!

I love this idea!

It truly is beneficial.

you know, I tried to start an email chain with our ptls because most of them are new. ive trained 5 or 6 in the last 18 months, and a couple of them just quit. but hardly no one responds. it makes me sad. no one wants to help or give advice, or in the case of our district, they seem to want to say they're the best rather than improving the company as a whole or have someone help with their process. i wish someone would give me pointers to improve myself or my team. thank goodness for TBR!!

Dek, you do great things, by helping others here! Besides I love your stuff!

same thing here kind of. i had one signing email pen pal from the store that i trained at (not my actual trainer but the person who replaced him) which was great until they left the company as well. there was a new signer at another store in our district who emailed all the specs in the district for help a while back and i think i was the only person who responded. it was sad.

bleh... dread starting to set in as I realize I have to work tomorrow and all the etls are back from vacation. it's gonna be a long day of bs and bts... good luck this week guys and gals!

same thing here kind of. i had one signing email pen pal from the store that i trained at (not my actual trainer but the person who replaced him) which was great until they left the company as well. there was a new signer at another store in our district who emailed all the specs in the district for help a while back and i think i was the only person who responded. it was sad.

I'm pretty lucky, the 2 nearby stores are mirror images of our store, and the signing "ninjas" there have been doing signing for decades and I personally like them because they don't brag on their expertise and how much they know. (3rd store, thats why I never call you) Anyone who truly knows signing knows, this is a job that changes constantly and no one can know everything at all times. Its great to have someone to call and bounce things off of.....

for the first time in a LONG time, we're not done with the week's workload early. i am antsy. payroll WAY OFF for all the sets this week. 1spot took a lot longer than anticipated with large amounts of backstock. BTS is ok, but trying to get all the transition pushed and bs done is killing us. not to mention remerching patio clearance and overheads. how are you guys doing?

Back