Starbucks Team Leaders

I guess it's because it's a different drink. If a guest asks for brewed coffee, we give them brewed coffee. If I'm not brewing dark roast, I let them know that it's on pour over and that I have pike ready; I don't ask them if they want an americano because it's faster/cheaper and a dark roast.

And unless you're getting like 300 payroll hours per week and have 2 cold bars, you shouldn't need a second blender. A 3rd pitcher could potentially be useful if you're doing a lot, assuming you have room for it somewhere.
Every single time I have offered a pour over to a guest, they have said no, because it takes 5-7 minutes.
Instead of them not buying anything and walking out, we offer a Decafe Americano. We make a sale, a customer connection, and the guest feels cared* for and accomplished.

Every single time I have offered a pour over to a guest, they have said no, because it takes 5-7 minutes.
Instead of them not buying anything and walking out, we offer a Decafe Americano. We make a sale, a customer connection, and the guest feels cared* for and accomplished.
5-7 minutes? Maybe close to 5 for a venti, but it’s way less for the rest, unless you don’t even have the grounds ready.

Time of day and number of baristas also plays a role.
This. I’m usually in solo barista play when people tend to come up and order one.

Also side note - I’m not dissing pour overs. As a non coffee drinker who though PPR was nasty AF tried it in a pour over and thought it was actually pretty decent.

I'd probably lose my mind if my team tried to talk a guest into an americano instead of just doing the pour over.

You brew decaf? And do you mean you use 5lb bags of decaf pike?
We brew from the bullet I have never seen a 5lb decaf since we always end up tossing most of the bullet we just brew a pot instead of waiting for the pour over

We brew from the bullet I have never seen a 5lb decaf since we always end up tossing most of the bullet we just brew a pot instead of waiting for the pour over
Do you use the 1lb bags or 5lb bags?

If someone asks for decaf pike, you just brew into your airpot and serve it from there instead of doing a pour over?

Ditto on the decaf Americano.
Even if someone doesn't mind the wait & we have decaf ground & ready, it's a matter of setting up the pourover stand, drawing the hot water & waiting for it to trickle thru.
With an Americano, you can draw the hot water while the shots are pulled.

i’m with xanatos. we should serve guests what they’re asking for, not an easier alternative. most guests are happy that the coffee will be fresh for them and are happy to wait.
It’s all about delivery. I think as long as we aren’t acting like “OMG can you not make us do a pour over” it’s all good. 😊

i’m with xanatos. we should serve guests what they’re asking for, not an easier alternative. most guests are happy that the coffee will be fresh for them and are happy to wait.
No problem serving what guests want. I inform them of their options and let them choose. 1 out 10 does want to wait for the pour over and we oblige.

I don’t like them...I prefer the old ones
Same. I either get a big blob or it doesn’t come out. And the way the bottle faces the window I can’t tell how full it is. The stand sounded nice when I read about it but I don’t see the benefit now that I’m using it.

i kinda wish the stand was just a separate piece they made to fit the old caramel bottles. we had been setting the caramel bottles on sample cups overnight previously

So far, I think the new ones work better. Then again, the old ones worked very well when they were brand new, so time will tell. I can't wait to see the new metal pumps. I've been checking the istore to see when they're coming, but there's no sign of them anytime soon.

So far, I think the new ones work better. Then again, the old ones worked very well when they were brand new, so time will tell. I can't wait to see the new metal pumps. I've been checking the istore to see when they're coming, but there's no sign of them anytime soon.
This was on the PPG before the pumps and containers got delayed:

how come a solo espresso is like $2 and some change while adding a solo shot of espresso to a different beverage is only $1?

not sure if this is ethical or not but you can ring a cup of water (free) then display modifiers and add a shot and it’s only $1... 👀

how come a solo espresso is like $2 and some change while adding a solo shot of espresso to a different beverage is only $1?

not sure if this is ethical or not but you can ring a cup of water (free) then display modifiers and add a shot and it’s only $1... 👀
I can't answer the first question, other than just to say that this is the price they've chosen to give to this drink.

As for the second part, if someone asks for something that isn't a real drink or is heavily modified, we're supposed to ring it up as the closest real menu drink and then modify as needed. We don't sell (or even ring up) a cup of water, and the drink you are describing is an iced americano, so that's how I would charge for it.

A couple months ago, I had a guy order a trenta ice water with 10 pumps of raspberry and 6 pumps of classic. He expected to pay about $.60 for it. I told him I would have to charge him for a custom iced tea because the closest drink would be a matcha water and this is how we ring up that drink. He went to another store to get it from them. I was disappointed to lose a guest, but Starbucks specifically came out with a policy for matcha water because people were ordering it as "water, add matcha" and Starbucks decided to charge more for this drink. Granted, matcha is more expensive than syrup, but the idea is the same to me - water, add some type of flavoring.

The only exception I'll happily make to this is a chai with espresso. I think it's closer to a flavored latte than to a chai. Realistically it's split pretty evenly between the two drinks, so whatever.

I can't answer the first question, other than just to say that this is the price they've chosen to give to this drink.

As for the second part, if someone asks for something that isn't a real drink or is heavily modified, we're supposed to ring it up as the closest real menu drink and then modify as needed. We don't sell (or even ring up) a cup of water, and the drink you are describing is an iced americano, so that's how I would charge for it.

A couple months ago, I had a guy order a trenta ice water with 10 pumps of raspberry and 6 pumps of classic. He expected to pay about $.60 for it. I told him I would have to charge him for a custom iced tea because the closest drink would be a matcha water and this is how we ring up that drink. He went to another store to get it from them. I was disappointed to lose a guest, but Starbucks specifically came out with a policy for matcha water because people were ordering it as "water, add matcha" and Starbucks decided to charge more for this drink. Granted, matcha is more expensive than syrup, but the idea is the same to me - water, add some type of flavoring.

The only exception I'll happily make to this is a chai with espresso. I think it's closer to a flavored latte than to a chai. Realistically it's split pretty evenly between the two drinks, so whatever.

thanks!

Do you ring differently when people order drinks without water or ice? For example sometimes someone orders 2-4 trenta SAR with no water, ice, or berries. My DM said we have the option to charge when we alter a recipient but told me to call surrounding stores to see what they do. Sounds like he didn’t know.

Back