Starbucks Team Leaders

Do you ring differently when people order drinks without water or ice? For example sometimes someone orders 2-4 trenta SAR with no water, ice, or berries. My DM said we have the option to charge when we alter a recipient but told me to call surrounding stores to see what they do. Sounds like he didn’t know.
I typically ,modifier>add juice to drinks with no water no ice requests.

A trenta no water/no ice is basically a carton. My DM from a few years back said to tell them that we don't sell refreshers as a retail product, and that we could do one or the other.

The Beverage Resource Manual says we should not charge extra for no water or no ice, but on the other hand we would actually LOSE money if someone gets a trenta refresher with no water and no ice, so... I don’t know.

Starbucks needs to have a policy for it. Maybe you can get no water or no ice, but not both. Or you can get light water and light ice. But basically set a limit for how much of the concentrate can be in there - no more than the water/juice line on the shaker for any size, or something like that. Those concentrates are expensive.

Iced teas, on the other hand, are dirt cheap. Someone could buy a trenta no water no ice black tea and then get a free refill of the exact same thing and we would still make a killing from it because each tea bag is like $.50.

I drink a lot of coffee and am very frugal (please, different from cheap).

I always get my iced coffee, no ice, it’s Double the coffee people!
I fill a food ave cup with free ice from the dispenser or get ice from the \break room freezer and create two iced coffees for the price of 1, and still get to get a third/fourth as a refill on my first.
Still worth it even if they charge me a few cents for ‘no ice’, only fair because they are giving me more coffee.

Note: I do not give Starbucks or food ave the expense of the extra cup, I use a re-usable one.

I drink a lot of coffee and am very frugal (please, different from cheap).

I always get my iced coffee, no ice, it’s Double the coffee people!
I fill a food ave cup with free ice from the dispenser or get ice from the \break room freezer and create two iced coffees for the price of 1, and still get to get a third/fourth as a refill on my first.
Still worth it even if they charge me a few cents for ‘no ice’, only fair because they are giving me more coffee.

Note: I do not give Starbucks or food ave the expense of the extra cup, I use a re-usable one.
🤦‍♂️

🤦‍♂️
Starbucks could say: this is how much cold coffee you receive for X dollars (Ex. 8 oz./2.35) same 8 oz with OR without ice, but they don’t.
If I say “no ice”, they fill up the cup with more coffee. I just would rather pay for coffee than for ice.

Yea, I know, sounds like i’m Trying to convince myself it’s o.k. , justify it’s right To get more coffee without added expense,
a case of “she doth protest too much, Methinks”
But really, if Starbucks is bothered by it just change the policy and I won’t bother.
As for now....... It’s a long day, the coffee is expensive, the break room no longer provides it, I need it, i’m Trying not to go broke.

Thought I was smart, Now I feel guilty.

Starbucks could say: this is how much cold coffee you receive for X dollars (Ex. 8 oz./2.35) same 8 oz with OR without ice, but they don’t.
If I say “no ice”, they fill up the cup with more coffee. I just would rather pay for coffee than for ice.

Yea, I know, sounds like i’m Trying to convince myself it’s o.k. , justify it’s right To get more coffee without added expense,
a case of “she doth protest too much, Methinks”
But really, if Starbucks is bothered by it just change the policy and I won’t bother.
As for now....... It’s a long day, the coffee is expensive, the break room no longer provides it, I need it, i’m Trying not to go broke.

Thought I was smart, Now I feel guilty.
It is smart. It’s also cheap, in my opinion. I think the line between cheap vs frugal is that second cup. Getting light ice or no ice is fine, but getting no ice and then getting a cup of ice is just barely crossing that line.

Again, it’s perfectly allowed to do - no one will stop you and there is no rule against it. And I think it’s good that you’re getting the ice yourself and in a reusable cup.

But for the people who get a trenta no water no ice refresher with extra fruit and then ask for a cup of ice... well... I like to think I keep it to myself, but I bet I subconsciously give them a bit of a glare lol.

It is smart. It’s also cheap, in my opinion. I think the line between cheap vs frugal is that second cup. Getting light ice or no ice is fine, but getting no ice and then getting a cup of ice is just barely crossing that line.

Again, it’s perfectly allowed to do - no one will stop you and there is no rule against it. And I think it’s good that you’re getting the ice yourself and in a reusable cup.

But for the people who get a trenta no water no ice refresher with extra fruit and then ask for a cup of ice... well... I like to think I keep it to myself, but I bet I subconsciously give them a bit of a glare lol.
Fair. Point taken. I’ll Compromise and stick to light ice from now on.
I started doing this Because if I was thirsty I would take 2 big sips and ....... cup empty. 😔

The coffee is pretty cheap too, so I wouldn't worry too much, lol. Personally, I prefer all cold drinks without ice. Refreshers are expensive.

I had a family of a certain ethnicity, Order 3 venti SARs no water no ice xrta berries .At hand off they requested three venti cups of ice. Then I see them sit down and turn 3 drinks into 6!! I was furious but also powerless.

Do you ring differently when people order drinks without water or ice? For example sometimes someone orders 2-4 trenta SAR with no water, ice, or berries. My DM said we have the option to charge when we alter a recipient but told me to call surrounding stores to see what they do. Sounds like he didn’t know.

I charge them as a SARL. IIRC that is at least our cost on that amount of base.

If they have a problem with it, they can go to another location. We pay more for ingredients than corporate locations, so in my mind I have to at least recoup my cost on the product. If they do it more than say every couple of weeks I’d like charge more (like a SARL plus juice) to help offset the additional inventory needed to “supply” this supposed guest.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it either way. There's no limit to free refills--as long as you stay in the building (which you do, because you're working there, too). So whether you do it your way, or come back three times for free refills, it's the same. I would almost say that the way you originally did it makes it easier on the baristas as they're not having to make four different iced coffees, just the original two.

Yea, I know, sounds like i’m Trying to convince myself it’s o.k. , justify it’s right To get more coffee without added expense
What you're paying the 'extra' for is the barista to fill that cup for you & to keep it on hand whenever you order.
To get it cheaper, try buying the various bottled coffees in your food section.

way to dodge the topic at hand
The topic at hand is that a certain ethnic group tends to abuse the no water, no ice/light ice a lot. I am speaking from experience and interactions with this certain ethnic group.
It is relevant because in my experience this ethnic group is by far the most abusive when it comes guests who want more for less.
Lie eye 😳

Edit:- or no eye

Have you worked Starbucks/Tarbucks?
Yes, actually I have worked at Tarbucks. I worked there for almost a year. I gave notice and took a job elsewhere making $30 an hour. Follow along.

We have lots of different ethnic groups in CA. You won't find a more liberal state in the USA. I think that we have surpassed OR and WA in liberalism.

I'll agree with redeye58 "There's no one group in my area; we got cheapskates & abusers of no water/no ice of ALL stripes."

Back