Starbucks Team Leaders

Inventory! From a PM last fall:

"Printing out that guide is the first step. The first time doing this is hard and you should get some help counting things. Take a look at the guide and you'll see all of the items that you'll have to count, plus a ton of other items that might be sold at other Targets, any items sold within the last couple of years, or any items that have a DPCI tied to it but arent' actually items (like a DPCI to ring up a free item as part of a BOGO). There are TONS of barcodes on the guide that you won't even have to scan. You won't even know what some of them are.

There are a lot of things where they tell you to estimate and plenty more where an estimation won't hurt. For instance, they tell you to estimate large cases if items (such as a case of 96 pizza dough disks). Then there are things that don't seem to matter if the on hands are exact - it doesn't matter if I have 18 or 19 bottles of vanilla syrup, so I'll actually fill out a pretty good portion of the guide without even counting it because I have an idea of how many I have on hand.

The biggest mistake I made for my first inventory is that I counted all of the items in department 260, which is all of the Starbucks supplies like paper cups, stir sticks, lids, all kinds of things. I spent tons of time counting it and then realized it's not even on the guide at all.

You should also check to see if you are responsible for the photo inventory. My store just has the Kodak Kiosk and the Starbucks TL has always done the inventory for it. There are only a few items so it just takes a minute.

So after you've familiarized yourself with the guide a bit, you can actually count stuff. There are items that I keep in two or more places, so I write the counts next to each other but not in the box yet; I reserve the box for the final count when I add those numbers up.

You can start scanning after 8PM. In myWork, it should give you the option to do TINV after you scan an item. When you're done scanning, you have to remember to go to workbench and go to some TINV page; you should be able to get a link to it if you search for TINV best practice in workbench. Basically, you have to see if you counted everything that they expected you to count. There will be items left on this report that you didn't have so you didn't count them. I've seen a discontinued pastry on it before (of course I didn't count that stupid thing, it didn't even exist anymore!), so I had to go and click on a button that said it didn't need to be counted.

The best thing about doing it with a myDevice is that it will tell you if you have on hands of it when you're counting it. There are some items that seem to have indistinguishable names (lots of syrups have an east and a west version, but some don't say east or west in the name), so you need to scan it just to see which one you have and then enter a count for that one and leave the other blank.

Yeah there's a TINV page on workbench that you need to go to in order to finish it. There are a few items that it expects you to count, but you didn't have any. You just have to go in and say that those items didn't need to be counted. That's the only follow up that I've ever heard of.

Starbucks is by far the most intense because it has the most things to count, but the counts for any of the beverage ingredients don't really matter because they generally can't be sold to guests anyway. The things that sort of matter are the mugs and tumblers and any of the RTD+E items (ethos water, white/chocolate milks, kind bars, caramel brulee bites, etc.) because those are essentially the same as the inventory for the rest of the store. Those items will have an expected number that you should have on hand. Beverage ingredients will have some estimated expectation because you are selling them in drinks and not by themselves (plus mistake drinks, samples, etc.). Don't worry about anything being 100% accurate, especially on your first time."

EDIT: This was part of a conversation, so some of mine are replies to questions he asked.

If you want to start looking at some things before your actual training starts, I would suggest going on WB and checking out "Leading Starbucks" and "Starbucks Product Knowledge." Don't try to memorize anything, just use the info as an introduction so when you get to it in training, it won't be completely unfamiliar.
You might want to go to Store Reports and look at the Starbucks Performance Dashboard. There is some good business information there. Check out the hours usage, and if it is red, make sure to point that out to your ETL.
If you have any spare time, consider spending a little of it meeting your new team, and learning how the register works.

You should definitely hire more. It's a requirement for each Target Starbucks to have at least 8 certified baristas. A really small volume store can get by on less, but it's still better to have more (to prepare for the exact situation that you're in). Also, at this point in the year, we need to be hiring for 4th quarter. Think about how long it takes to get someone hired, trained, and then comfortable in Starbucks. It's months. You want to get that process started early. If anyone can appreciate that notion, it should be an ETL-HR.

Also, it can be a great thing to hire and train a whole new team. When I did it shortly after I started, I was able to train people exactly how I wanted them to be trained. No more bad habits. Plus I had more experience than them, so they really respected my opinion.

EDIT: I like how the question was posted 7 minutes ago and at least 3 of us have read it already.
Thank you all for your quick responses :)

Good point about the training. That's exactly what I thought in terms of hiring and I anticipated this and started asking for them to hire mid july.

We technically meet the 8 people trained at the moment but that includes our gsas and gstl. So we really only have 5.

Soon after I came to sbux, it was basically me and 2 baristas. No idea how we weren't put on an NNC, but we weren't. Take advantage of being able to get your team exactly where you want them. Also, you should be part of the interviewing and hiring. DON'T SETTLE! I know you are getting desperate for baristas, but it is not worth taking warm bodies just to fill the positions. Make sure they are going to be a good fit. You will be able to teach them the drinks, but make sure they are friendly, willing, and reliable. I'm not sure what volume your store is, but for my LV store, it works to have a few baristas who also do other depts. (I have a couple who do SL shifts, and a couple who also cashier). Also, GSAs and the GSTL are all trained, so if I need to, I can schedule one of them. This helps with back up to Starbucks and break coverage as well. Lastly, see if any current tms want to cross train. I have a 4 tms waiting to cross train, and have started training them slowly as I have hours. This way, you won't get too many surprises about how they work.

Don't you have to be 18 to work in Starbucks?
Q4 is something that has been on my mind because even though we are a lv target.. Our sbux is apparently crazy busy over the holidays..

I can definitely check around and see who I can cross train because that may be the best option making me feel like I am not as pressured to just hire anyone who comes along. When I get in.. I will definitely do that.. I have a few tm in mind who can cross train.

Our starbucks has always had a high rate of turnover mostly because they have only highered minors in the past. In general our store has a high rate of turnover because we have so many minors.

If you want to start looking at some things before your actual training starts, I would suggest going on WB and checking out "Leading Starbucks" and "Starbucks Product Knowledge." Don't try to memorize anything, just use the info as an introduction so when you get to it in training, it won't be completely unfamiliar.
You might want to go to Store Reports and look at the Starbucks Performance Dashboard. There is some good business information there. Check out the hours usage, and if it is red, make sure to point that out to your ETL.
If you have any spare time, consider spending a little of it meeting your new team, and learning how the register works.
I knew about the dashboard But not the other two ones. Thanks!
For dashboard.. I started as tl late june so our numbers still reflect the ridiculous over ordering that my old tl did to screw us as he said. Since then I have been much more careful with ordering. The numbers we are red in are margins and profits.. Which given how things were run makes sense.

Thank you everyone for your support! It has definitely lessened my stress a little bit so I can be more planful during this transition.

You should definitely make it a point to let the hr team that you want to be the one interviewing your potential hires. It doesn't make sense for others to do it for you when they don't know what you are looking for. Do you write the schedule?

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I'll be shipped off for training at another store for 2 weeks. And luckily, when I return to my store. I will still have 1 week with the current SBTL to do my AST? certificated training. I'll still be doing inventory for my current department but use that opportunity to watch the SB inventory.

My only fear now is there is someone already leaving. And 2 others mentioning they want to leave. Which is freaking me out already. Because I just agreed to a sinking ship :S

Stay calm & focus. Read the beginning of this thread to help you.
Patience & support are your friends. Don't let fear of what if consume you. We will win as a team.

Because I just agreed to a sinking ship :S
Coqui started this thread after their SBTL was termed & they were being groomed to take over.
During that time there have been many folks popping in who are in similar straits.
This is pushing you way out of your comfort zone but it's also your chance to shine in a different area.
This is also your chance to demonstrate that your previous turnaround success isn't just a flash in the pan.
Keep your chin up, your apron on & hit the ground running.

You should definitely make it a point to let the hr team that you want to be the one interviewing your potential hires. It doesn't make sense for others to do it for you when they don't know what you are looking for. Do you write the schedule?
I will definitely do that. No but I am looking to do it because every week I have to go in and make changes anyways for various reasons.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I'll be shipped off for training at another store for 2 weeks. And luckily, when I return to my store. I will still have 1 week with the current SBTL to do my AST? certificated training. I'll still be doing inventory for my current department but use that opportunity to watch the SB inventory.

My only fear now is there is someone already leaving. And 2 others mentioning they want to leave. Which is freaking me out already. Because I just agreed to a sinking ship :S
Totally hear that, but after listening to everyone here they are right that it is probably good to start with a blank slate so you can train others the way you want them to be working. I must say it is easier to train from the start then retrain someone and break bad habits. I hopped into a sinking ship esp. Profit wise and keep reminding myself that as long as I can slowly turn those numbers around it will look great for me career wise. 91st the end of the day as I was talking to my etl today it is their job to worry about staffing and hiring and your job to worry about training which totally helped me stop freaking out enough to negotiate some cross training!

A little commentary on my pictures.

The cabinets below the merchandise - I just put the 1lb bags under there, complete with shelf label so I can order it if I'm out (and to keep it organized so my team knows which goes where). Plus one cabinet of K-cups. This freed up a ton of space in one of my closets and keeps it very close so it's easier to refill.

The condiment bar is amazing. 6 slots for packaged sugars, so I doubled up on sugar in the raw in the two right-most slots. The cabinets are much bigger than my old one, so I think I can have like 4 sleeves of napkins in there if I want to.

I really like the little rolling cart that holds all the hot and cold cups for drinks. It's easily movable and I think I found a good home for it. I did slightly reorganize it - they had it ordered by size, but I decided to do tall, grande, venti, and other (instead of S/T/G/V + T/G/V/Tr). That way the only size that is really out of reach when standing at the register is short cups.

The soap for the hand washing sink is incredibly low. You can barely get your hand under there. You can see my fruit fly trap - I use a cold sample cup, put a squirt or two of hand soap, then fill with apple cider vinegar. I can barely get the soap in it now.

The other sinks are AMAZING. I love being able to actually use a blender pitcher rinser. The one I ordered 3 years ago is very difficult to press, so we aren't using it. The new one can just barely be pressed if you set a blender pitcher on it, which is perfect! The only thing that sucks is that the insta-hot rarely gets to 195. Most of the time its in the upper 180s, which might be sort of ok for americanos and chais, and certainly works for making mochas, but it's not hot enough to brew teas. I tried making green iced tea with it one time and it was so much lighter in color than normal.

I love where the baskets sit in that little corner. Not sure about the snack fixture, but it's out of the way and in view for the guests at the checklanes, which is ideal.

The blue tile backsplash and the wood above it are beautiful.

The counters suck balls - the back one collects water and the front one isn't as easy to clean as the old one.

Totally hear that, but after listening to everyone here they are right that it is probably good to start with a blank slate so you can train others the way you want them to be working. I must say it is easier to train from the start then retrain someone and break bad habits. I hopped into a sinking ship esp. Profit wise and keep reminding myself that as long as I can slowly turn those numbers around it will look great for me career wise. 91st the end of the day as I was talking to my etl today it is their job to worry about staffing and hiring and your job to worry about training which totally helped me stop freaking out enough to negotiate some cross training!
You should still be the one interviewing them. Why would they keep you out of that process? It's you who will be working with them, training them, developing and evaluating the team, it's only natural for you to partake in the hiring process.

Our old team lead didn't want anything to do with it because he always said he had too much on his hands. And there was about a 3 month gap before that without a team lead so I think they just got used to it. I will definitely challenge them on this because of the exact things you said

Maybe the old team leader had too much on his hands because he didn't hire the right team ;).

I have had complete control over who is hired for Starbucks for years. There are additional considerations when hiring for Starbucks that others may forget about, or just plain don't know about (Although allowing brightly colored hair and visible tats helps). For some people, no jewelry or nail polish is a deal-breaker--much better to clear that up before someone is hired.

Back