Starbucks Team Leaders

I wish we would hire directly for those positions, it would give us direct control on what needs to be done.

While someone is looking up dcpi. How do I get one of those call shrouds to cover the front syrup? Is there a dcpi for that?

Thanks HappyMonday

Anyone know the dcpi for the label stickers for our milk cups? Like label stickers saying dairy, soy, non dairy, etc...

I know what the PSL is they are hearting, or pumpkining as the case may be.
But, damned if my childish little mind isn't racing with a hundred different combination of words that it could be.
On that, why the online dictionary recognize pumpkining as a word but not hearting?

Last edited:
When scheduling with limited hours. what is the lowest you have scheduled someone in a given week? I have a new team member transferring in (approved by my ETL). She will have her 2 weeks of training (and hours) at this point. But like I said hours are tight and would rather give hours to my experience TMs for now. I can get her hours else where and I know she has to maintain a 50% schedule in SB (we we have some leeway for just a week).

Is scheduling a TM for 5 hours too little? >.< I have to make cuts and I won't want to cut my experience and high performing TM. But at the same time I hate cutting "new" TMs hours.

The TM in question is in high school and currently pregnant (due to give birth in November). She currently works in softlines/fitting room. I wanted to simply cross train her and have her transfer after she gave birth. Which I thought it made the most sense because she will be gone within a month and would have to relearn everything again. I have no issue with her being pregnant or anything, I just feel it was pointless to have her join us now and have her go on maternity leave so soon after. But my ETL panicked with our lost of team members at the time. But we have gained 3 awesome new team members since than. So I was confused at this addition. Instead of simply cross training her because she already had a position in Softlines/Fitting Room.

So what do you guys think. Is it ok to schedule her 5 hours and have her scheduled in softlines for the rest of the week? I want to be fair to the current team members I have and gained. This TM in question would already have her two 32 hours weeks of training at this point.

Last edited:
It's absolutely ok, especially if she's that far along in her pregnancy. Softlines is going to be a little easier on her body than Starbucks. It's also ok if you give her 0 hours. As long as shes getting a reasonable amount of total hours (in all workcenters), it's fine. When she comes back, make sure to give her a training shift or two (or at least a good amount of double coverage, if you can) so she can relearn it quickly.

Yes. And the 50% thing has some flexibility to it. I have a couple of baristas who get the higher pay for sbux, but don't necessarily work that much in sbux. If she's keyed sbux, she'll get the pay raise. Also, how can a minor high school student have 32 hours?

31 hours to be exact. 16 hours on the weekend and 15 during the week (8+5+5+5+8). Again this is during her training, HR wrote out the training schedule and I have yet to receive any complaints from her. I'm just scared she will stress out (the baby >.<).

I just figured labor laws. Sounds like you have a handle on staffing. Too many is always good for Sbux

So I'm struggling to get through my AST Book. Due to lack of hours and time to even get through with the TM I have that is certified. He had 4 months to do it and even than, it was half assed he said (due to lack of hours). I am being sent to another store for one day to get it done. And I'm barely half way through. That is all the time they are giving me and it needs to be done by my next meeting with my DM (Oct 5th). I am stressing out, is there anything else I can do? I'm just barely keeping it together and keep SB running as it is.

What will the meeting with the DM entail (details please)?

Last edited:
Do you have a date for your meeting yet? Did he say it had to be done by then, or was it someone from Target?
I did a version of AST before this one, but I think they are essentially the same. It was self paced, and I had as much time as I needed--per my DM. I think you can pick up what you need in an 8 hour shift. Lots of common sense and things you learned already during your barista training. I would suggest that you read through it, and take notes if you are unsure about anything. I was never questioned about AST tbh. Did you do it? Yup. Ok, good. I don't really remember everything that was in the AST training, and have never referred back to it.

There are a couple of different types of DM visits. There is a DSV, Detailed Store Visit, which is about 3 hours long and these happen quarterly. It will start with a coffee tasting. You will discuss how the store is doing. Bring sales figures, Dashboard, and a completed SOA. For your first visit, he may ask about your training in general, and AST in particular, or he may not. He may ask about staffing, and may want to see your team's barista certs, so have them available. He will probably walk the store, checking on how clean things are, if there is anything missing, dates, and the general condition of the store. He will probably observe the barista working for a while. Then, you will sit down and make an action plan for the coming quarter, so it is good to have an idea of what you want to work on.

There is also the Observe and Coach visit. It is also scheduled, and is about an hour. It is more informal. I always start this one with a coffee tasting too, but we both like coffee, so. . . . We go over sales and upcoming promotions. He will walk the store, and observe the baristas. It sounds pretty similar, but less in depth, I guess.

Schedule yourself as an extra person for the first visit, not as coverage. I always do this. You will still have to be back up, of course. My DMs have always jumped behind the bar if we get backed up on a visit.

You should remember that your DM is there to help. He can be a resource for you. He will point out what needs fixed, because its his job, but it really is to make your store better.

What exactly is stressing you out, or is it just all of the new stuff?

What is stressing me out is having so many things thrown at me all at once while just getting my barings as a Team Lead in a department unknown to me. My barista training flew by so quickly and didn't cover the trainer aspect of it. And having 4 new Team Members joining us with just 3 experienced baristas. Two of them are just 19 (one is AST). I feel terrible for relying on them so much to cover all the shifts with the new Team Memberss.

My ETL (new to SB aswell) is really driving to push sales on merchandise because of poor numbers with the previous Team Lead. Now I learn 2 of my experienced Baristas want to transfer to stores closer to their home and schools (Very understandable, and would rather they be happy). In addition to trying to find time to get through the AST book. My ETL is driving it in on how important it is to get certified as soon as possible.

You guys have been a huge help with all the questions I have and with the ordering. I hate how much I am complaining. I appreciate the support and my team's support. It's just a lot thrown at me all at once. I work in a high traffic store, so very little time to catch your breath. I can't believe 2 months already flew by. It's just frustrating going from being a Team Lead of a department I knew everything about to something completely unknown. And with 4th quarter baring it's fangs. I'm worried I will mess up somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't even worry about the AST aspect. It's literally just a detailed description of what you do every day and some extra information. To be completely honest, I haven't utilized it at all since I became the SBTL. I was a SBTM before and that was literally what helped me. I knew the job inside and out, it was having to deal with TL level tasks that I had to learn which was easy once I understood the role. DSVs are exactly what Yetive described and your first visit will strongly be focused around your training and how you're adjusting. They will want to know your baristas if they don't know them already and ask for an updated list of your Starbucks TMs and anyone trained in Starbucks so you want to always have those ready to be viewed. My DM always wants to look at my skills and knowledge tracker which has all your baristas with their certification dates, who's barista trainer certified, who's AST certified etc. Don't be afraid to tell your ETL that they need to give you time. You need to understand your role before focusing on increasing merchandise sales.

Last edited:
Back