Starbucks Team Leaders

Hi guys, anyone having trouble getting coconut milk in? Two orders in a row, no coconut milk!

We had a meet and greet where the guy walked for like 2 minutes (and it was only my Starbucks he walked), said I was using the wrong strips for my sanitizer(he said to use the old brand of strips and NOT THE CHLORINE WHICH WE USE) and said bye. Fast forward the girl who helped open us up after remodel freaked out when we told her the guy said we were doing it wrong. She was pretty thorough. Asked for our binders, temp a thermometer, looked at dates. I’ve heard of them double checking team members washing hands after handling cash too.

Are your carafe timers for the condiment bar suppose to be 2 hrs or 4 hrs? I read in Target Food safety book its 4 hours but we’ve always done 2 hours..

We’ve kept it to 4 hours. Does anyone prepare a couple and when one times put you just put another out? I’ve seen corporate stores do it but I’m too scared to try here

Are your carafe timers for the condiment bar suppose to be 2 hrs or 4 hrs? I read in Target Food safety book its 4 hours but we’ve always done 2 hours..

I was told that they can sit out for 4 hours before it becomes a violation, so we do 2 hours so if we're late changing it then it's not an issue

I've looked up the laws regarding it. As long as it starts out at a safe temperature and you have the timer running, it's 4 hours. A local health inspector challenged me on it years ago so I looked it up. She said it was 2 hours, but that didn't apply to what we do.

I always have the closer prep 2 carafes and leave them in the fridge filled with half and half overnight so one is ready when we open and the other is ready when the first either runs out or expires.

Anyone have ecolab yet?
Ours was back in February. My auditor ended up being the same guy that does their quarterly chemical follow up... and is probably the most chill auditor out there.

Also - from what my Food/Beverage Director told me - P1 is the new critical and P2 is the new non-critical.

Starbucks plans to roll those out to Company Operated stores by 2020. It's going to be a long while before Target will be willing to shell out for those. But in the mean time 🤩😱😍

Sister store only has 3 tm. 3 WHAT THE HELL. So I’m trying to support them as much as I can and oh my lord. The schedule with only three people makes me appreciate my 180 hours
My team was like that this time least year. Since I’ve been over them we’ve lost two and I finally hired my first TM (who lucky for me is actually a former TM who was actually really good.)

But 180 hours? That must be nice. I’m getting 145. 😔

oh, re: half and half carafes:

i will say that the number of times i've brought change advances to Starbucks or covered breaks and saw that the half and half timer wasn't running but a carafe was on the condiment station is disgusting. i always end up dumping whatever was out there and setting out a new one, and actually RUNNING the timer

So I recently got promoted to TL and I wanted to know how you other TL’s recognize your baristas besides writing them a card?

Daily verbal recognition is my goal when it comes to recognizing my team. It's free, so I can do it all the time, which makes a bigger difference when it comes to the culture of the whole workcenter as opposed to a free drink every once in a while to your top performers.

Huddles, food! Always give instant compliments and feedback (oh you brewed pike? Thank you so much!! I appreciate you!) small little gifts. Just about anything

Definitely verbal recognition. Remember, in most stores, Starbucks is an island. Your team won't hear much from anyone else unless there is a problem. Those times it's really busy, or you are struggling, they are too! A "Great job keeping your cool during that crazy rush. I'm proud to realize that our team can handle the business, even if I'm not working," or, "Thanks for such a thorough close Tuesday. It made opening Wednesday a breeze," can make a difference.
Little treats are nice too (if you like to bake). Let them be creative with drinks. Sometimes, they come up with some good ones. If you have any artists, give them time to get creative with the A-frame. Share their work on Twitter, Insta, etc if appropriate.
Don't just recognize the stars. Catch your team doing things right, and let them know. Maybe a "most improved" award to keep newer baristas motivated--there is a lot to learn.

Back